ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Gonzalez was a damn fine College QB

Saboteur

All Conference
Jan 15, 2015
Many places. but not all
I would be thrilled with QB's like him from now on...mobile, accutrate arm, heady and a winner....don't know how many stars he had coming out of HS, but they were not enough is my bet.

Coaching mattered, though. He did get into games in his earlier years. It wasn't like he was being screwed on the depth chart. God knows we were giving anyone a chance to shine in his previous 3 years. But he stank. It was the same with Matt Lytle too.

Which is what will make this season intriguing ... as dubious as Chryst was overall, he did seem to do nice things with QBs (and OL, which is related for importance of QB success). Until we see otherwise, it's hard to assume the new coaches will be better in those areas. Voytik should show some incremental natural improvement due to age, experience, maturity and his great work ethic ... yet less effective coaching (and the impact of a new offense) could actually set him back. It just is impossible to know yet.

Great job by Walt Harris coaching Pistol Pete - plus, Pitt had a surprisingly decent OLine that surprise season. I particularly remember how well the OLine would form a pocket and Walt was continually preaching how Pistol needed to step up in that pocket - and he did. Especially in that game against WVU :)

Go Pitt.

Great job by Walt Harris coaching Pistol Pete - plus, Pitt had a surprisingly decent OLine that surprise season. I particularly remember how well the OLine would form a pocket and Walt was continually preaching how Pistol needed to step up in that pocket - and he did. Especially in that game against WVU :)

Go Pitt.

Pistol Pete is one my all time favorite players. Harris did a great job with him, starting with recognizing that Pete had the potential to get a very good QB. I had the opportunity to talk to Pete when he was (briefly) with the Steelers. He went on an on about what a great coach Harris was.

Pete was a good college quarterback! I think he had a tryout/cup of coffee with a pro team.
What was even more impressive was Pete as a person! Daughter was at Pitt at the time and
she spoke very highly of him as a person, polite and very pleasant. That stands out more to me than his football abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT