ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA eligibility rules for 7th/8th graders?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Remember a few years back, Pitt basketball commit (and then decommit) Maverick Rowan had to repeat 8th grade to reset his "clock" because as an 8th grader, he played on the 9th grade team which began his 4 year HS eligibility. He had to repeat 8th grade play and the go to 9th grade the next year with a new 4 year clock.

But I am hearing of 8th graders playing on 9th grade teams now. I guess the rule has changed. Is it just 6 years of eligibility starting in 7th grade with a ban of 7th/8th graders playing on JV/Varsity teams?

Remember a few years back, Pitt basketball commit (and then decommit) Maverick Rowan had to repeat 8th grade to reset his "clock" because as an 8th grader, he played on the 9th grade team which began his 4 year HS eligibility. He had to repeat 8th grade play and the go to 9th grade the next year with a new 4 year clock.

But I am hearing of 8th graders playing on 9th grade teams now. I guess the rule has changed. Is it just 6 years of eligibility starting in 7th grade with a ban of 7th/8th graders playing on JV/Varsity teams?
Ninth grade is still junior high so playing on a "ninth grade team" doesn't affect varsity eligibility. Has been like that forever. And 8th graders can't play up onto a JV/Varsity roster so the story sounds like BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT