ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Renovation Project - Donations

Feb 3, 2007
A few weeks back, there was a pretty interesting post about the Pitt renovation project that shared the link which showed the upgrades to the South Side facility. Before the dismissal of SP, I along with some other PantherLair posters talked about creating our own booster group. I've met with Pitt multiple times since then. They've asked us to hold off for now since the department is undergoing a major change with Chancellor Gallagher and new AD Scott Barnes. I was able to meet the Chancellor and he actually gets it when it comes to running a high level athletic department.

One of the things we talked about before was using a crowdfunding style fundraiser to raise money for Pitt. I thought this idea would translate well to this football renovation project. I started a campaign to see if we could raise enough money to donate a locker to Pitt. The recognition plate will say: "Generously Donated by: Proud Pitt Fans" to recognize all of the little guys like ourselves that individually can't make a major donation, but together can have an impact.

The fundraising website is www.gofundme.com/PittFootball

I'm just asking that people spread the word about this. Little donations, even as small as 5 dollars, can make a difference if enough people give. People seem ready to start supporting Pitt now that we have leadership that appears to be committed to winning. I hope that you can share this with your friends and fellow Panther fans.

Also we have a facebook page that will be the main source for all future projects, such as our newly created National Give to Pitt Athletics Day on Dec. 17 (the anniversary of SP's dismissal). That site is www.facebook.com/PittFundraising

Thanks everyone and Hail to Pitt!

Also I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has donated thus far. In just a few hours today we have raised over $100 in donations.

Great Idea...you need to get this advertised at the stadium.
I hope that we can reach our goal by the home opener. If we can, I'm going to see if Pitt would be willing to throw up a thank you on the scoreboard or one of the side boards as a thank you for everyone that has donated. We have had a great day of donations and are getting close to $1000. This is going well so far and I hope that we can reach our goal and show Pitt that us fans are ready to get behind a winner.

www.gofundme.com/PittFootball

www.facebook.com/PittFundraising

The only downside to this is that individual donations don't get credited to the individuals because it is a third party site.

Individual who make donations directly to the football facility campaign are awarded 1.5 Priority Points per $50 and, if they are alumni making the donation, the university gets credit for % of alumni that have donated for US News Rankings. I think you can donate any amount, even under the lowest listed $600 level, although there no plaque or donor recognition under that. But otherwise it is the same idea. On the other hand, the Gofundme site that you currently have set up takes 7.9% + $0.30 off the top of all donations.

The crowd sourcing idea is a good one, and it would be nice if athletics would put up a locker or similar goal at the https://engage.pitt.edu/ site so the proper donations and credits could be awarded and fees could be kept at a minimum. I might try to ask the athletic department/Panther Club to set up something similar at Pitt's own Engage crowd funding site, and if they do, then transfer what you have raised so far at Gofundme to it.

The only downside to this is that individual donations don't get credited to the individuals because it is a third party site.

Individual who make donations directly to the football facility campaign are awarded 1.5 Priority Points per $50 and, if they are alumni making the donation, the university gets credit for % of alumni that have donated for US News Rankings. I think you can donate any amount, even under the lowest listed $600 level, although there no plaque or donor recognition under that. But otherwise it is the same idea. On the other hand, the Gofundme site that you currently have set up takes 7.9% + $0.30 off the top of all donations.

The crowd sourcing idea is a good one, and it would be nice if athletics would put up a locker or similar goal at the https://engage.pitt.edu/ site so the proper donations and credits could be awarded and fees could be kept at a minimum. I might try to ask the athletic department/Panther Club to set up something similar at Pitt's own Engage crowd funding site, and if they do, then transfer what you have raised so far at Gofundme to it.
Paco, I'm with you 100%. I thought when Pitt announced their own crowdfunding platform that it would be the perfect tool to use. Despite being a professor in SHRS my project didn't meet their guidelines. I've been trying for over a year to get something like this started. The change of AD and other red tape has prevented me from working directly with the athletic department on this.

I do plan on giving the names of the people that donated to University (unless they requested to be anonymous), so that they can receive credit for their donation.

Also gofundme.com does have fee's associated with it, but this project didn't really meet the requirements of kickstarter or indiegogo. Go fund me was pretty much the best option at this point. I set the goal at the current level to take the fee's into consideration so that we can meet the $10,000 requirement for the locker donation.

I said on the premium board that the PantherClub points thing wasn't even on my radar until someone pointed it out. I'd rather see the people that donate get the points they deserve. I've talked to Amy and Pat Bostick and the donation levels are atrocious. I believe that on a project like this, people see these high numbers and think they can't make a difference. With this project I'm just trying to give every Panther fan a voice and make sure that they are recognized for their contributions. I can't imagine many people on this board have the resources to donate much more than they already do. The way we can make a difference is to allow everyone the chance to give a little bit, feel like they're making a difference, and this will make a huge difference for Pitt.

Paco, I'm with you 100%. I thought when Pitt announced their own crowdfunding platform that it would be the perfect tool to use. Despite being a professor in SHRS my project didn't meet their guidelines. I've been trying for over a year to get something like this started. The change of AD and other red tape has prevented me from working directly with the athletic department on this.

I do plan on giving the names of the people that donated to University (unless they requested to be anonymous), so that they can receive credit for their donation.

Also gofundme.com does have fee's associated with it, but this project didn't really meet the requirements of kickstarter or indiegogo. Go fund me was pretty much the best option at this point. I set the goal at the current level to take the fee's into consideration so that we can meet the $10,000 requirement for the locker donation.

I said on the premium board that the PantherClub points thing wasn't even on my radar until someone pointed it out. I'd rather see the people that donate get the points they deserve. I've talked to Amy and Pat Bostick and the donation levels are atrocious. I believe that on a project like this, people see these high numbers and think they can't make a difference. With this project I'm just trying to give every Panther fan a voice and make sure that they are recognized for their contributions. I can't imagine many people on this board have the resources to donate much more than they already do. The way we can make a difference is to allow everyone the chance to give a little bit, feel like they're making a difference, and this will make a huge difference for Pitt.

I applaud your effort.

Regarding Pitt's crowd funding site, it is not surprising you couldn't set up a site for the athletic department initiative yourself, but the athletic department itself might be able to get it going. Although Pitt's crowdfunding effort may not want to have entities that already have dedicated fundraising arms using it as it is really meant for funding smaller projects (at the individual investigator or university club level) type things. I do agree that the Athletic Department should do something like it themselves though (and perhaps the Alumni Association). I think people can be motivated to give by seeing the instant progress their donation makes, as well as the names of other contributors.

It is great that you are giving the names of the donors. The AD should want the names. I'm not sure they can do much without additional contact information, but that is information they should want.

I applaud your effort.

Regarding Pitt's crowd funding site, it is not surprising you couldn't set up a site for the athletic department initiative yourself, but the athletic department itself might be able to get it going. Although Pitt's crowdfunding effort may not want to have entities that already have dedicated fundraising arms using it as it is really meant for funding smaller projects (at the individual investigator or university club level) type things. I do agree that the Athletic Department should do something like it themselves though (and perhaps the Alumni Association). I think people can be motivated to give by seeing the instant progress their donation makes, as well as the names of other contributors.

It is great that you are giving the names of the donors. The AD should want the names. I'm not sure they can do much without additional contact information, but that is information they should want.
Sometimes getting Pitt to start a project is almost impossible. Much like the Zoo it can be better to start something on your own and then let them get on board once it is successful.

One idea I've constantly pitched is to have Panther Club points and your ranking be instantly updated when you donate. I think that could drive the competitive spirit up a bit and lead to a few increased donations.

There are so many little ways that Pitt could do more to generate some extra funds that people would be ready to get behind. Hopefully Scott Barnes can identify these and get his staff behind the efforts.

Sometimes getting Pitt to start a project is almost impossible. Much like the Zoo it can be better to start something on your own and then let them get on board once it is successful.

One idea I've constantly pitched is to have Panther Club points and your ranking be instantly updated when you donate. I think that could drive the competitive spirit up a bit and lead to a few increased donations.

There are so many little ways that Pitt could do more to generate some extra funds that people would be ready to get behind. Hopefully Scott Barnes can identify these and get his staff behind the efforts.
That makes plenty of sense. Good thoughts!

Pitt can absolutely give points credit for these donations, if they so choose. The US News rankings is another matter, but I'm guessing plenty of institutions give credit to a married alumni couple when only one of them makes the legal contribution, or to an alum who sends his/her donations through a third party like a donor advised fund.

I think using the GoFundMe site, even with the 7.9% fee is the better way to go. This is a grassroots effort not officially backed by Pitt and the moment it goes on the official Pitt fundraising site, it becomes less appealing. I'd also assume that Pitt's own site has a percentage coming off the top as well, but that is just a guess.

Pitt can absolutely give points credit for these donations, if they so choose. The US News rankings is another matter, but I'm guessing plenty of institutions give credit to a married alumni couple when only one of them makes the legal contribution, or to an alum who sends his/her donations through a third party like a donor advised fund.

I think using the GoFundMe site, even with the 7.9% fee is the better way to go. This is a grassroots effort not officially backed by Pitt and the moment it goes on the official Pitt fundraising site, it becomes less appealing. I'd also assume that Pitt's own site has a percentage coming off the top as well, but that is just a guess.

What is funny is while I'm sure Pitt will be thrilled to receive the money, they are doing things to hurt themselves. For example, since this is not "an official University or University sponsored fundraiser" they aren't letting the Oakland Zoo or Panther Pitt market this on facebook or twitter which is hurting awareness among the students. If every student that bought a season ticket gave 2 dollars, we'd have enough for 2 lockers. The current Zoo leaders said that this is a rule from SORC that prevents them from advertising.

Also the Pitt Crowdfunding site could be a great tool to use, but they have some very specific guidelines that probably deter some great projects from getting started.

I'm just excited to be $230 away from the $2000 mark. I'm hoping some Pitt Football alumni get on board as it would be cool to see them support the program.

What is funny is while I'm sure Pitt will be thrilled to receive the money, they are doing things to hurt themselves. For example, since this is not "an official University or University sponsored fundraiser" they aren't letting the Oakland Zoo or Panther Pitt market this on facebook or twitter which is hurting awareness among the students. If every student that bought a season ticket gave 2 dollars, we'd have enough for 2 lockers. The current Zoo leaders said that this is a rule from SORC that prevents them from advertising.

Also the Pitt Crowdfunding site could be a great tool to use, but they have some very specific guidelines that probably deter some great projects from getting started.

I'm just excited to be $230 away from the $2000 mark. I'm hoping some Pitt Football alumni get on board as it would be cool to see them support the program.
I hope they get involved in the Pitt fundraising project,to be honest.
Not sure why it's beneficial to dilute the fundraising effort which Pitt already has in place.

why?

Pitt should start their own official message board and print your Panther Club ranking underneath your name ;)

The HailtoPitt mentality is why Pitt is dead last in athletic revenue and abysmal in giving. Until that mindset changes, it will always be lagging.

And I don't know how Pitt can give priority point credits for anything if they don't have full information to either credit the appropriate account, or more likely for people donating to this crowd funding site, establish a new account. When you think it through, trying to give credit for third party, non-affiliated donations would open up a whole can of worms with issues about people being credited properly based on something completely out of their control, and this also opens up tax issues. There isn't even a guarantee they'll receive the donation from the crowd funding site. They're relying completely on the word of unaffiliated individuals, no matter how trustworthy they might actually be in reality.

Last edited:

Oddly enough, when they started the basketball priority seating scam that was one of the things they said you would be able to do. Still hasn't happened, but then again that was only what, about ten years ago?

Oddly enough, when they started the basketball priority seating scam that was one of the things they said you would be able to do. Still hasn't happened, but then again that was only what, about ten years ago?

There is a running count of one's priority points in your athletic department account that is updated in December and June. They include a calculator on the page next to a range of points to indicate how you'd move up with a donation amount that you enter. It's really easy to see where you'd move with any donation amount. Every renewal form for tickets includes the calculation and estimated point levels. I don't get the issue, or the issue with basketball reseating....at least if Pitt is to try to maximize revenue, which it has no choice but to do. The basketball reseating was the best fundraising move they made in the past 30 years. Kudos to Jeff Long on that one.

There is a running count of one's priority points in your athletic department account that is updated in December and June. They include a calculator on the page next to a range of points to indicate how you'd move up with a donation amount that you enter. It's really easy to see where you'd move with any donation amount. Every renewal form for tickets includes the calculation and estimated point levels. I don't get the issue, or the issue with basketball reseating....at least if Pitt is to try to maximize revenue, which it has no choice but to do. The basketball reseating was the best fundraising move they made in the past 30 years. Kudos to Jeff Long on that one.
Paco, can you shoot me an email at dpj731@gmail.com ?

Well I guess one difference would be the difference between something being updated in December and June versus it being updated in real time. Something that ought to be easy to do, if there was any will. The idea was also that one could see, in real time, exactly how much one needed to donate to move into specific seats that someone might wish to purchase. THAT would be where you could get extra dollars from something of a "bidding war" over the right to buy certain seats.

Secondly, the reason the the basketball reseating scam was so dumb doesn't just have to do with pissing off so many customers (a really dumb way to run any business). It has to do with the fact (and this was relayed to me in both a private conversation with someone in the athletic department as well as stated publicly at the Monroeville meeting to discuss the plan) that the school's own numbers told them that if they had simply assigned a required donation level to each seat like they do for football they would have made more money.

So if kudos are deserved for a plan that had the dual effect of pissing off customers while simultaneously NOT maximizing donation dollars, what would be deserved for a plan that didn't piss off customers and DID maximize donation dollars? I guess we'll never know.

Well I guess one difference would be the difference between something being updated in December and June versus it being updated in real time. Something that ought to be easy to do, if there was any will. The idea was also that one could see, in real time, exactly how much one needed to donate to move into specific seats that someone might wish to purchase. THAT would be where you could get extra dollars from something of a "bidding war" over the right to buy certain seats.

Secondly, the reason the the basketball reseating scam was so dumb doesn't just have to do with pissing off so many customers (a really dumb way to run any business). It has to do with the fact (and this was relayed to me in both a private conversation with someone in the athletic department as well as stated publicly at the Monroeville meeting to discuss the plan) that the school's own numbers told them that if they had simply assigned a required donation level to each seat like they do for football they would have made more money.

So if kudos are deserved for a plan that had the dual effect of pissing off customers while simultaneously NOT maximizing donation dollars, what would be deserved for a plan that didn't piss off customers and DID maximize donation dollars? I guess we'll never know.
I'd like to take the time to mention this was a Jeff long creation .
Pederson did nothing to improve it. Maybe Barnes will.

The HailtoPitt mentality is why Pitt is dead last in athletic revenue and abysmal in giving. Until that mindset changes, it will always be lagging.

And I don't know how Pitt can give priority point credits for anything if they don't have full information to either credit the appropriate account, or more likely for people donating to this crowd funding site, establish a new account. When you think it through, trying to give credit for third party, non-affiliated donations would open up a whole can of worms with issues about people being credited properly based on something completely out of their control, and this also opens up tax issues. There isn't even a guarantee they'll receive the donation from the crowd funding site. They're relying completely on the word of unaffiliated individuals, no matter how trustworthy they might actually be in reality.

I stated the truth. Fans have not felt respected and listened to by Pitt's athletic administration for a long time. (Yeah, I know, some of your shook Steve's hand once so that is proof that I am wrong). Since Chancellor Gallagher and Dr. Randy Juhl (now Barnes) took the reigns, the communication with Pitt's fans has been 10x better and I think that real change has started to happen. For instance, this attempt by fans to generate fundraising dollars online, towards a goal that what established by Pitt. That wouldn't have happened under Pederson/Nordenburg. Advancing from a state of apathy to a grass roots effort in support of Pitt football is positive change and should be applauded. However, the positive changes have only been in effect for half a year, and that doesn't make up for decades of incompetence, so we can't reasonably expect everyone to get on board right away. It will take years of continued effort on behalf of Pitt.

It is hilarious that you believe my mentality is the reason Pitt does poorly in athletic fundraising. Your mindset is the real problem... Believing that Pitt is held back because of the fans, when the fans have rarely felt respected and listened to until recently. When an organization starts blaming the lack of generosity of their fundraising constituency, they are taking their failures and projecting blame onto someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saboteur
We received an incredible $450 anonymous donation. This day has been incredible. The fans here at the Lair are awesome. You are all the best Pitt fans out there! Thank you all again!

We are now at $3075 and we have passed the 25% mark on our way to the $11,500 goal!

For the record, was notified I received Bonus Priority Points for early committing and paying my Panther Club donation.
"Thank you for renewing your Panther Club membership and for continuing your great support of Pitt Athletics. As always, 100% of your annual contributions benefit the scholarship needs of our more than 475 student-athletes. They, along with our coaches and staff, are truly grateful for your generosity.

In appreciation of your support, we are awarding you 5 additional priority points (a $250 value) for renewing before May 29th. Should you have any questions about this offer or your account status, please call us at (412) 648-8889 or reply to this email."

It pays to give directly to Pitt.

For the record, was notified I received Bonus Priority Points for early committing and paying my Panther Club donation.
"Thank you for renewing your Panther Club membership and for continuing your great support of Pitt Athletics. As always, 100% of your annual contributions benefit the scholarship needs of our more than 475 student-athletes. They, along with our coaches and staff, are truly grateful for your generosity.

In appreciation of your support, we are awarding you 5 additional priority points (a $250 value) for renewing before May 29th. Should you have any questions about this offer or your account status, please call us at (412) 648-8889 or reply to this email."

It pays to give directly to Pitt.
That's a great point. People that really want some extra panther club points should try to get their annual donation in by tomorrow.
Donating to the renovation fund directly doesn't count towards the annual donation, but 100% goes to Pitt and you earn 1.5 Panther club points for each $50.

www.Pittsburghpanthers.com

I applaud your effort.

I work in development and have seen Pitt's (specifically IA's) prospect research first hand; if they get your name, they will find everything, right down to your pets' names (Nordenberg was notorious for wanting little details like that). Most people would be surprised to learn how easily they can be tracked down. All it really takes is the man hours to do it.

I stated the truth. Fans have not felt respected and listened to by Pitt's athletic administration for a long time. (Yeah, I know, some of your shook Steve's hand once so that is proof that I am wrong). Since Chancellor Gallagher and Dr. Randy Juhl (now Barnes) took the reigns, the communication with Pitt's fans has been 10x better and I think that real change has started to happen. For instance, this attempt by fans to generate fundraising dollars online, towards a goal that what established by Pitt. That wouldn't have happened under Pederson/Nordenburg. Advancing from a state of apathy to a grass roots effort in support of Pitt football is positive change and should be applauded. However, the positive changes have only been in effect for half a year, and that doesn't make up for decades of incompetence, so we can't reasonably expect everyone to get on board right away. It will take years of continued effort on behalf of Pitt.

It is hilarious that you believe my mentality is the reason Pitt does poorly in athletic fundraising. Your mindset is the real problem... Believing that Pitt is held back because of the fans, when the fans have rarely felt respected and listened to until recently. When an organization starts blaming the lack of generosity of their fundraising constituency, they are taking their failures and projecting blame onto someone else.

I don't believe it, I know it. Don't worry, you're not alone. It is a problem that existed well before Pederson and will continue long after. It really has more to do with a regional distrust and misunderstanding of large institutions and the general lack of Pitt being a communal source of pride for its community. Many other urban schools face similar challenges.

Other than your assurances , is there anything legally binding the donations to Pitt ?

Smells a lot like THON, except THON is actually run by psu.

Probably not legally, but I quite sure ToughGuy is legit. He is well known as a major supporter of Pitt.

Reactions: pitt-girl

So you think, say, instantly seeing your rank move from, say #1774 to rank #1721 after a $500 donation, is going to spur massive new donations?

There are VERY good reasons why you can't implement such as system...which essentially creates on-line bidding for seat priority....because a large portion of your customer base still don't donate or buy tickets on-line. How do you think 40-year consecutive donor who mails in his paper application is going to feel when he finds out he's been bumped out of his seats by somene throwing $10K into his Panther Club account at the last minute before donation the deadline?

And I'm sure Jeff Long was like...hmmm, how can I make less money and piss people off more? There are reasons things are done. Assigning single prices to sections makes it difficult to raise required donations levels if demand rises. Opening up reseating causes long-term escalation of donations without having to do any always unpopular, wide-spread restructuring of donor levels....if demand remains. That's the issue, demand has to remain strong for donation revenue to grow, and I'm sure that is what they were looking at. Either way, the prior system with grandfathering people in to their original seat selection for life was short sighted and frankly, a repeat of the moronic mistakes of Fitzgerald Fieldhouse seating (and that was all Pederson). Reseating was the right move.

But it is interesting that you are essentially lambasting the athletic department for not creating an on-line bidding war for priority points, but calling them a bunch of scam artists for doing essentially the same for basketball seating.

Other than your assurances , is there anything legally binding the donations to Pitt ?

Smells a lot like THON, except THON is actually run by psu.
If a lawyer wanted to make a legally binding contract for me to sign that 100% of the money will go to the Panther club I would be glad to sign it. I post updates on the gofundme page and I hope that my last update I get to post is the video or photo of me handling the check to Amy at the Panther club.

If a lawyer wanted to make a legally binding contract for me to sign that 100% of the money will go to the Panther club I would be glad to sign it. I post updates on the gofundme page and I hope that my last update I get to post is the video or photo of me handling the check to Amy at the Panther club.

Well, the good thing about that, is if your endeavor is successful, people in the athletic department are surely to take more notice of such an approach.

Personally, I wish they set up something similar for athletic scholarship endowments.

I don't mean to infer you have ill intentions , just cynical.

People talk about Panther points and rankings what exactly is the big deal, I mean for 100.00 I could buy any ticket to any Pitt athletic event and probably get a Parking pass to boot. I mean it's not like there is that much demand
True enough, sadly .

My donations are intended to generally support Pitt athletics because i enjoy them and want them to be competitive.

I don't expect anything as a acknowledgement or equivalent personal gain.

So minor or incremental acknowledgements in the way of better parking spots and seats if requested, of long lasting support... Are appreciated by me.

Reactions: Internet Tough Guy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT