ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Surgical Scrub Hat in New Zealand

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
Saw a Pitt surgical scrub hat in theatre today, worn by one of the theatre assistants. My first reaction (as it was exactly like one I have) was to think I lost mine. After interrogation, a locum anesthesiologist from Pittsburgh gave it to him as a gift. Story matches up as my hat was still in my locker.

Not Panther Nation....Panther World.

Block. Takes time for trends to get to the other side of the world.
USN Panther, what a cool story!! Are you serving on a Navy ship? Carrier?

My father was USN in WW-II, drove the Higgins Boats onto beaches during invasions - 8 of 'em!! From Siciliy in the ETO to Tarawa, Saipan, Philippines, Okinawa and a few others. Youngest son at boot camp in Parris Island - the other branch of the Navy.

Enjoy your posts very much

Reactions: USN_Panther
Saw a Pitt surgical scrub hat in theatre today, worn by one of the theatre assistants. My first reaction (as it was exactly like one I have) was to think I lost mine. After interrogation, a locum anesthesiologist from Pittsburgh gave it to him as a gift. Story matches up as my hat was still in my locker.

Brother

What are you doing in New Zealand?

Let me know what Pitt games you are attending. It would be great to catch up.

Peace
NGF

My father was USN in WW-II, drove the Higgins Boats onto beaches during invasions - 8 of 'em!! From Siciliy in the ETO to Tarawa, Saipan, Philippines, Okinawa and a few others. Youngest son at boot camp in Parris Island - the other branch of the Navy.

This has to be my crazy neighbor!!??!! Why not use the handle: Crooked Tree.

PITTsburghFAN,

I've been out of the Navy for over a decade. Just picked that handle when I was in!

I live in New Zealand and have been here about 5 years. I see the odd Pitt hat or shirt now and then. Rarely see PSU. Probably most frequently notice WVU gear (on tourists). I always stop people wearing any of the three to chat and see where they are from.

Brother

What are you doing in New Zealand?

Let me know what Pitt games you are attending. It would be great to catch up.

Peace
NGF

NantyGlo!

Are you still in NC?

We moved here in January 2011. Some say it was the 2010 season that made us leave the US, but that's not entirely true. We came here to live in another country for a year or two so the kids could have that experience. We really like it here, so we have stayed. I'm at the University of Otago in Dunedin. My oldest just finished his first semester at the University of Auckland.

I'm all in for the rugby now. Our local team plays for the Super 15 title tonight in Wellington.

I'm trying to get back for the Georgia Tech game this year. Road games have no meaning when coming from the other side of the world. I want to catch a game the following week but might go to a non-Pitt game. My brother and I were thinking of going to the PSU-Maryland game in Baltimore in lieu of the trip to Syracuse.

There for a couple of days meeting with a client. I am staying in the CBD. I missed my Saturday there due to a canceled flight, but anything worth seeing or eating while I am there?
What brings you to Auckland? I am on the South Island in Dunedin. Watch the rugby---cheer for the Highlanders tonight!

There for a couple of days meeting with a client. I am staying in the CBD. I missed my Saturday there due to a canceled flight, but anything worth seeing or eating while I am there?

I am not greatly familiar with Auckland, only been there a handful of times. My son lives in the CBD now attending the University of Auckland. He's home on break so I will ask him for his recommendations too.

The SkyTower is kind of cool. If you are an adrenaline junkie you can jump off of it. I prefer to stay inside and watch the jumpers come down. If you have the time and the weather is good, catch the ferry from the harbour by the CBD and spend an afternoon in Devonport. It is a nice place to just stroll around the shop and cafes.

There are many choices for restaurants in the CBD. I can't recall any by name, but we usually walk about and see what strikes our fancy on any given evening. You'll spend some coin as everything is expensive here. You do have a very favorable exchange rate working in your favor currently.

If you like red wine, look for a Central Otago pinot noir. Very nice!

Lastly, find a suitable pub to watch the rugby tonight if you get in. The Super 15 final has two NZ teams playing. My local team the Highlanders are going to win it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the flight issues took my Saturday in Auckland away, but I reckon those are as Mills Lane said, "the bumps and bruises of life."

The exchange rate is quite good for someone with dollars. Still is a bit expensive. But I will really only have 3 days there and be working most of it.

How far are you from Christchurch?
I am not greatly familiar with Auckland, only been there a handful of times. My son lives in the CBD now attending the University of Auckland. He's home on break so I will ask him for his recommendations too.

The SkyTower is kind of cool. If you are an adrenaline junkie you can jump off of it. I prefer to stay inside and watch the jumpers come down. If you have the time and the weather is good, catch the ferry from the harbour by the CBD and spend an afternoon in Devonport. It is a nice place to just stroll around the shop and cafes.

There are many choices for restaurants in the CBD. I can't recall any by name, but we usually walk about and see what strikes our fancy on any given evening. You'll spend some coin as everything is expensive here. You do have a very favorable exchange rate working in your favor currently.

If you like red wine, look for a Central Otago pinot noir. Very nice!

Lastly, find a suitable pub to watch the rugby tonight if you get in. The Super 15 final has two NZ teams playing. My local team the Highlanders are going to win it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the flight issues took my Saturday in Auckland away, but I reckon those are as Mills Lane said, "the bumps and bruises of life."

The exchange rate is quite good for someone with dollars. Still is a bit expensive. But I will really only have 3 days there and be working most of it.

How far are you from Christchurch?

We're about 350 km from Christchurch. It is about a 4.5 hour drive.

I never got to experience Christchurch prior to the earthquake. It will still be a while for that city to fully recover.

NantyGlo!

Are you still in NC?

We moved here in January 2011. Some say it was the 2010 season that made us leave the US, but that's not entirely true. We came here to live in another country for a year or two so the kids could have that experience. We really like it here, so we have stayed. I'm at the University of Otago in Dunedin. My oldest just finished his first semester at the University of Auckland.

I'm all in for the rugby now. Our local team plays for the Super 15 title tonight in Wellington.

I'm trying to get back for the Georgia Tech game this year. Road games have no meaning when coming from the other side of the world. I want to catch a game the following week but might go to a non-Pitt game. My brother and I were thinking of going to the PSU-Maryland game in Baltimore in lieu of the trip to Syracuse.

=====

Great story on the move. It would be great to catch up.

We are still living in North Carolina. You should try to make a trip for the Pitt at North Carolina game. We are having a party at my house Friday night before.

I will try to figure out a way to send you an email.

Happy Fourth of July from North Carolina.

Peace
NGF

=====

Great story on the move. It would be great to catch up.

We are still living in North Carolina. You should try to make a trip for the Pitt at North Carolina game. We are having a party at my house Friday night before.

I will try to figure out a way to send you an email.

Happy Fourth of July from North Carolina.

Peace
NGF

Nanty Glo...e-mail is USNPanther@att.net

Great story ! I have many fond memories of NZ,,Several trips to Antarctica and R&R in Wellington,Auckland and Chichi..The people are fantastic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT