ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs North Carolina 1982

7-6 final.
Was supposed to be full of offense but obviously that wasn't the case. Pitt's defense was absolutely awesome that night at 3 Rivers.

first evidence that Foge and his new OC had mucked up the Pitt offense. NC had a nice team but it shouldn't have been that close.

Reactions: rc79
A sellout? Couldn't be. I read here all the time that we wouldn't sell out and fill the stadium with a top ranked team, so it isn't worth investing in one.

What is amazing is the crowd noise.. Three Rivers was conducive to that.. Pitt Stadium, not as much, because of how it was constructed.... LOUD, and exciting to watch, regardless of the low score.

first evidence that Foge and his new OC had mucked up the Pitt offense. NC had a nice team but it shouldn't have been that close.
My uncle who is a lifelong Pitt cursed the day they hired him and I disagreed , until I went to that game. We made a mistake which really has never been fixed.
But in all fairness foge deserved one more year.

I guess it proves fans will come when Pitt gets back on top again. Plus, the many self inflicted wounds by the offense. Should of caused many concerns the new staff was in over their heads.

The talent Pitt had on the field this game. Was crazy good. The offensive line alone, had 3 future pro-bowlers starting. lol

This town would go nuts to see this happen again.

Reactions: ncpittfan
I guess it proves fans will come when Pitt gets back on top again. Plus, the many self inflicted wounds by the offense. Should of caused many concerns the new staff was in over their heads.

The talent Pitt had on the field this game. Was crazy good. The offensive line alone, had 3 future pro-bowlers starting. lol

This town would go nuts to see this happen again.
That game was the first installment of a season long lesson in how to turn a forty point per game offense into a ten point per game offense.

I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for posting this.

In 1982, I was the biggest Pitt Football Fan in Thomas Jefferson High School. This was a year before I became an even bigger hoops fan than football.

Starting fullback Marlon McIntyre had been a star a TJ rival Belle Vernon. All TJ folk knew our star Darnelle Stone would get to Pitt after prep school.

I think I looked forward to this particular Pitt football season more than anything I had looked forward to anything else before in my life.

And yes, we won this night. But it was troublesome. And he had to hear it from all of me friends who were very sick of hearing from me how incredible Pitt football would be that year.

And the truth be told, it really quite sickening (from a sports standpoint) that the 1982 team ended up 9-3. The amount of talent on that team was unreal. Perhaps a step or so short of the talent of the 1980, but still unreal talent. After this UNC game, we all knew there was trouble.

The 1980 should have won the national championship.

The 1982 team should have played someone in a bowl game for a national championship (but they sure as hell shouldn't have lost to ND and PSU during the regular season).

This was my first truly depressing season as a Pitt fan.

The following week Pitt stomped Florida State on the road, 37-17, and it felt like all would be fine and dandy. Nope. Pitt hasn't been the same since Dawkins' fumbled untouched versus ND when Pitt was driving downfield and behind, 17-16.

Anyone remember Foge singing at a press conference after another under achieving game that season (Wvu? ). "Accentuate the positive, forget about the negative".

What a shame. If Jackie was coach, season would have been different. Thanks Ed Bozik.

Remember that game well, I was "running" for Sports Illustrated. Out of dumb luck, I was actually standing in the back of the end zone with the extra camera shooting Pitt's only TD. Pretty damn sure it did NOT make it into the next issue.

I was at that game that night. It was a very weird atmosphere. CBS wanted to broadcast the game in primetime and Pitt Stadium did not have lights, so they moved it to Three Rivers Stadium.

I was just a kid then but I remember everyone was really amped for the game. I also remember the game itself being fairly dull.

I hadn't watched that game in years. However, I just finished it. Those uniforms looked awesome! That is Pitt's best uniform!

Also, UNC's Kelvin Bryant was a complete non-factor. I forgot how impotent their running game was.

Finally, Dan Marino was out of control. He made all kinds of ridiculous decisions that night. With any sort of discipline on his part, the Panthers win that game 17-6 or 21–6.

I noticed mismatch numbers. Some linemen had numbers outlined in yellow. Others has all white numbers

Not only that. The stripes weren't even uniformed. On some jerseys they are primarily yellow with some white in there and others are mostly white with some yellow. LOL! That's so Pitt, isn't it?

I was wondering why they play at 3 Rivers, I forgot that Pitt Stadium didn't have lights back then.

I was at that game that night. It was a very weird atmosphere. CBS wanted to broadcast the game in primetime and Pitt Stadium did not have lights, so they moved it to Three Rivers Stadium.

I was just a kid then but I remember everyone was really amped for the game. I also remember the game itself being fairly dull.

I hadn't watched that game in years. However, I just finished it. Those uniforms looked awesome! That is Pitt's best uniform!

Also, UNC's Kelvin Bryant was a complete non-factor. I forgot how impotent their running game was.

Finally, Dan Marino was out of control. He made all kinds of ridiculous decisions that night. With any sort of discipline on his part, the Panthers win that game 17-6 or 21–6.

It was the first college football broadcast by CBS in like 20 years or something. They were making a pretty big deal about it. The game was so bad that I believe the commentator during the game said something like "We (CBS) waited 20 years for this?"

I have always wondered why don't they make the big thick mesh jerseys anymore? You know, the 1982 Seattle Seahawks style jerseys and like the jerseys both teams wore in the game.

They have to be cooler than what they have now, right? Also, they had to be light. There is so much less material.

If it is a matter of the weight of the material, why don't they just make the meshy jerseys in the current material?

Was it as a result of a rule change or was it something the uniform manufacturers came up with?

I have always thought those half shirts with the big thick mash bodies looked absolutely great.

4108455320_73f16586e6.jpg

If Pitt wants to be innovative on the uniform front, that is the way they should go. That would be very cool looking and it has to breathe better than the current uniforms – no matter how many vents they allegedly have.

While I am at it, I have long felt strongly that some Major League Baseball team should make their road uniform a flannel-looking uniform like what you see it all those super cool old timey photos.

No sport has as much reverence for the past as baseball and those types of uniforms would go over phenomenally well. They would break up the monotony of all of the decidedly uninspired gray polyester uniforms that currently rule the landscape.

Why do you think everyone wears their colored jerseys so much now during the road games? Because most of the current road uniforms are terrible looking and-or boring.

The feaux flannel - but made out of light and thin materials like the current uniforms are made -,but wouldn't look too garish or flamboyant – which people hate.

That would be the equivalent of the beautiful cream uniforms you see for teams like the Giants and Indians. I really think a faux-flannel in the current materials would look awesome.

Last edited:
Finally, the Bucs' black jerseys are a disgrace. How many different shades of gold can one professional team wear in a single uniform?

Great game!

My first year as a "Golden Panther" and had 50 yard line seats (25 rows back) at the Stadium......UNFORTUNATELY.....I ordered them too late for the opener, when they told me that there were no "bad seats" at Three-Rivers....they lied....I got the last 2 tickets for that game....smack dab behind the flag pole in centerfield!

We know what a hot topic uniforms are on these forums but the good Dr. Von Yinzer's rants above are absolutely epic.
DVY is the new Mr. Blackwell. Would love to your best and worst dressed lists!

The 1982 Pitt defense was really dominant. Hard to understand why the offense struggled with the incredible talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT