ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs PSU schedule

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Was listening to Fan today on way home. Hosts were talking about local college teams. It was brought up that PSU should win first 6 games easily with that schedule and have 5 straight at home. Pitt must play at Iowa, at VaTech, at GaTech, and Va in the first 6. I brought it up jokingly to several big PSU fans having lunch together. They laughed and said they need to win after the sanctions, and Franklin has to win with the recruits looking on. Would fans be happy here with that schedule including OOC? How can they not win 9 or 10? Geez. No wonder Franklin is smiling all the time.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
The schedule is a joke. However, you won't hear any of them apologizing. If they go 6-0 out of the gate...you can expect a plethora of Nitwits on the board beating their &%+#'$ telling how great they are.

And you know what we can do?

1) Not lost to YSU or Akron.
2) Not lose to UVa or Syracuse
3) Beat at least ONE of GT, VT or Iowa on the road.

That would be 5-2 after opening 2 of the 7 on the road. Go at last 3-2 to finish, and it is a respectable 8-4. This should be at minimum what we need to do.

No doubt...Pitt needs to worry about taking care of its own schedule. However, it does get nauseating listening to the local media fall all over PSU. As has been pointed out...over the past 15 years they have averaged .5 wins more than Pitt. Somehow that is looked upon as a great success and Pitt is looked upon as a colossal failure.

Its a "get me past the sanctions" schedule but in the future PSU will play 10 P5 teams every season.

jabba2 great to see you back! Are you the old jabba who monitored the Pitt boards before your world nearly ended? You and your buddy cruisin are welcome here anytime!

[QUOTE="recruitsreadtheseboards:

1) Not lost to YSU or Akron.
2) Not lose to UVa or Syracuse
3) Beat at least ONE of GT, VT or Iowa on the road.

That would be 5-2 after opening 2 of the 7 on the road. Go at last 3-2 to finish, and it is a respectable 8-4. This should be at minimum what we need to do.[/QUOTE]

Great breakdown of the season, IMHO. I agree and it is what I'm hoping to see this Fall.

I hope Temple beats them, they should have last year but UPS will be 6-0 when they face the Buckeyes. If there's any silver lining in their weak schedule its that the Nitters will have am inflated opinion of their team and will probably be talking all week about how they are gonna upset tOSU .... The drop back to reality will be fun to watch when the Buckeyes woodshed them.

Last edited:
They were favored in 9 of 12 games last year with only being very slight underdogs in Ann Arbor. They'll be favored in 10 of 12 this year. Anything less than 10-2 should be a disappointment.

This is nothing new. Paterno's unbeaten teams early in his career, when PSU was an independent, were against truly weak teams. They were denied national championships -- given to teams with imperfect records -- because of those pathetic schedules. Paterno whined of course, but he got what he deserved.

The schedule is a joke. However, you won't hear any of them apologizing. If they go 6-0 out of the gate...you can expect a plethora of Nitwits on the board beating their &%+#'$ telling how great they are.
I think most PSU fans realize we are a few years away from where we would like to be. We are still very thin due to the sanctions. It is going to take another year or two until we are anywhere near a level playing field of other schools.

Phil Steele has PSU winning 10 games but we'll see. I can easily see 9-3 losing to OSU, MSU & UM or NW.
Still a year maybe two away from having good depth and experienced frontline talent.

I think most PSU fans realize we are a few years away from where we would like to be. We are still very thin due to the sanctions. It is going to take another year or two until we are anywhere near a level playing field of other schools.

When you're 6-0 as you should...come visit our board. I guarantee you will see PSU trolls on our board gloating over nothing.

When you're 6-0 as you should...come visit our board. I guarantee you will see PSU trolls on our board gloating over nothing.

we don't have a kicker, and our OL is still shaky......should be improved from last year, but shaky nonetheless.

They'll be a hick-up in there....i'm thinking 5-1 is more realistic.

Many teams have a blip once in a while. PSU lost to Ohio a few yrs back and some other lesser teams in recent years. It happens to mediocre teams like both have been. As the teams get better, it will happen less.

oh trust me...I know......mediocre would best describe PSU (i guess Pitt as well) last year....very fortunate to go 7-6.

Ohio was actually pretty decent that year, but sure...we should've beat them.

We lost to a bad Toledo team at home in 2000.....that was pretty bad.......so on that note...Akron kinda s*cked

it's just fun messin w/532nationalchampionships...sorry, Rob

Toledo was a decent team that year. They ended up 10-1 that year. That was Gary Pinkel last year before he moved on to Missouri.

really?...i didn't know that. wow..ok.

what I do know is....we were terrible that year. but thanks for the correction.

To All ups Trolls,

Come back when you have beaten a quality team.

(clue) it won’t happen this year so we will not have to have you trolling a Pitt board anytime soon. A quality team is one that is in the top 25 when you played them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT