ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt women BB get a win…

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
Pitt beat Lehigh today in a crazy game where neither team could play effective defense. The score was 94 to 82. Pitt trailed by 10 in the second half - but then outscored Lehigh 30 to 12 in the 4th Q for the win.

Lehigh had players who might be related to Blake Hinson. Stemmer was 10 for 17 from three; the team was 19 for 41. Every time a three went in, Coach Verdi kind of groaned as he paced the sideline.

Pitt went 7 for 14 from 3, led by Perkins going 4 for 7. Jordan shot 10 for 15 inside for Pitt.

Early in the game Pitt had several of their patented out-of-control drives and off-balance shots. Marley struggled early but finished playing better. Malcolm was out of sorts today - she took only 2 three-pointers and missed both.

Lots of work to do…

Go Pitt.

Pitt beat Lehigh today in a crazy game where neither team could play effective defense. The score was 94 to 82. Pitt trailed by 10 in the second half - but then outscored Lehigh 30 to 12 in the 4th Q for the win.

Lehigh had players who might be related to Blake Hinson. Stemmer was 10 for 17 from three; the team was 19 for 41. Every time a three went in, Coach Verdi kind of groaned as he paced the sideline.

Pitt went 7 for 14 from 3, led by Perkins going 4 for 7. Jordan shot 10 for 15 inside for Pitt.

Early in the game Pitt had several of their patented out-of-control drives and off-balance shots. Marley struggled early but finished playing better. Malcolm was out of sorts today - she took only 2 three-pointers and missed both.

Lots of work to do…
Go Pitt.
I only was able to watch part of the third Qtr and
all of the 4th. I guess I saw the best part of the game,
at least as far as what Pitt was doing. Lehigh out of the
Patriot League is no powerhouse, but we did a lot right
in the parts I saw. First of all Marley W actually hit a 3.
She also only had 1 TO and played tough D in the 4th Qtr.
She's an athlete and she can become a much better bball
player if she keeps this up.

Those of you who were at the game explain to me why
we seemed to be playing bball while Lehigh was playing
HORSE. They attempted 41 3's, and hit 19 of em., 46%.
We hit 3's at a 50% clip, 7-14. Big stat was TO's, Lehigh
had 21 while we had only 11. Did Lehigh play any D at all?
Turn it over 21 times, and you deserve to lose. Anyway,
good result for us!

It was obvious early on that Lehigh's strategy was to shoot any and every open three that they got. And our defense seemed to be designed to give them a lot. They took twice as many threes as twos. Stemmer would just run to the exact same spot on either the left or right wing on their break, and they'd throw the ball ahead to her and if we didn't bother guarding her she'd just shoot the three. It took until the 4th quarter until someone finally realized that you had to guard her at the three point line on every possession, all possession long. The number of times that she just stood there, and we sagged way off her, and they passed her the ball for an open shot was astounding.

And yeah, the coach was getting pretty pissed off about it at times. But what I don't get is that if you were telling players to not sag off her, then if they did, take them out of the game. Maybe if you sit them out a few minutes and tell them that if they do it again they are coming out again, and then follow through on that, that someone would get the message.

Stemmer took 15 of her threes by the end of the 3rd quarter (I think her 15th came with 3-1/2 minutes left in the 3rd). She only took two, and made one, in the 4th. And not surprisingly, when they didn't allow her to get off Lehigh's offense ground pretty much to a halt.

On the other hand, they should show Malcolm Stemmer's game on a continual loop. She constantly passes up open threes. And I don't get it. She shoots them pretty well. She had a lot of potential chances. And she only took two of them all game.

It was obvious early on that Lehigh's strategy was to shoot any and every open three that they got. And our defense seemed to be designed to give them a lot. They took twice as many threes as twos. Stemmer would just run to the exact same spot on either the left or right wing on their break, and they'd throw the ball ahead to her and if we didn't bother guarding her she'd just shoot the three. It took until the 4th quarter until someone finally realized that you had to guard her at the three point line on every possession, all possession long. The number of times that she just stood there, and we sagged way off her, and they passed her the ball for an open shot was astounding.

And yeah, the coach was getting pretty pissed off about it at times. But what I don't get is that if you were telling players to not sag off her, then if they did, take them out of the game. Maybe if you sit them out a few minutes and tell them that if they do it again they are coming out again, and then follow through on that, that someone would get the message.

Stemmer took 15 of her threes by the end of the 3rd quarter (I think her 15th came with 3-1/2 minutes left in the 3rd). She only took two, and made one, in the 4th. And not surprisingly, when they didn't allow her to get off Lehigh's offense ground pretty much to a halt.

On the other hand, they should show Malcolm Stemmer's game on a continual loop. She constantly passes up open threes. And I don't get it. She shoots them pretty well. She had a lot of potential chances. And she only took two of them all game.
I read your post after I posted mine. I think you knew what
I was going to ask since you answered some of it above.
thanks.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I read your post after I posted mine. I think you knew what
I was going to ask since you answered some of it above.
thanks.

Lehigh's problem on defense is that they were just so physically overmatched on the inside. Jala Jordan had 23 points on 10-15 from the field, because they didn't have anyone who could guard her. And it's not like she's some great post scorer. But if she got the ball in the post they didn't have anyone who could stop her.

Reactions: Chescat
Leaving Stemmer free along the baseline was driving me crazy. I sit courtside and when Lehigh was shooting at my end of the court, I was tempted to yell that she's free again. Toward the end, she was finally defended. She made a contested three but only one or maybe two that I recall.

I did think that Lehigh moved the ball really well and with speed - that helped them get open threes. And it wasn’t just Stemmer.

I wanted Malcolm to shoot more too - but it seems we rarely kick the ball to her where she can just catch and shoot, even though that would be a good strategy.

Perkins is really a hot or cold player. When she’s “on” she can play pretty decent.

It’s funny to see a bunch of players go for a rebound and Marley comes out with it. That seemed to happen a few times.

BTW, watching the shooting in warmups, Malcolm is usually deadly from 3. Yesterday Battle and Perkins were hitting at a decent rate with good looking mechanics. Timmerson also made some threes in warmups - I guess because of her height she has a high, wristy release…. Marley had the most inconsistent results of the guards in warmups…

Go Pitt.

A lot of dissection of Pitt women's bball players in
this thread. ( I should talk, right! ) LOL. Anyway,
good comments about Malcolm. She ought to have
a green light when open. The others that did so well
is good news. However, once again, Lehigh is in the
Patriot Leauge and we have ACC fast approaching.

What I see about us is, improvement as the OOC moves
along. I also see players trying to do the right thing, and
that they are clearly being coached.

Reactions: jctrack
We won the game inside with the huge rebounding advantage. King and Jordan aren’t going to be able to do that in the ACC playing against 2 or 3 big bodies a night.

What was so frustrating about Stemmer is that she didn’t take a single 3 off the dribble. She went to a spot and waited for the ball. Most of the time Marley allegedly was guarding her but all Lehigh had to do was pass the ball to someone else in Stemmer’s vicinity and Marley would go help out on them. Boom, the ball is quickly passed to Stemmer and she shoots.

Finally, in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter it appeared that Marley was told to stick with her and she only got off one 3 point shot after that.

When Perkins is on, we have 2 guards who can shoot from outside. Marley is a terrible shooter. I haven’t seen enough of the freshmen to see if they can. I saw the frosh from North Allegheny drive and make a nice shot in the lane, which was nice because when Marley drives you just hope she hits the backboard. Although, late in the game she actually made one. Along with a made 3, I assume that was her highest point production ever.

We do a lot of things better than we did under the last coach. At least so far. We don’t turn it over as much. We aren’t always out of control when we run. We hustle more on defense. But, it has been against low level opposition and we still only are 5-5. It’s likely to be a very long season.

Our big need still is post players, and we didn’t sign one in the early signing period. The transfer portal will be a necessity.

Reactions: MajorMajors
We won the game inside with the huge rebounding advantage. King and Jordan aren’t going to be able to do that in the ACC playing against 2 or 3 big bodies a night.

What was so frustrating about Stemmer is that she didn’t take a single 3 off the dribble. She went to a spot and waited for the ball. Most of the time Marley allegedly was guarding her but all Lehigh had to do was pass the ball to someone else in Stemmer’s vicinity and Marley would go help out on them. Boom, the ball is quickly passed to Stemmer and she shoots.

Finally, in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter it appeared that Marley was told to stick with her and she only got off one 3 point shot after that.

When Perkins is on, we have 2 guards who can shoot from outside. Marley is a terrible shooter. I haven’t seen enough of the freshmen to see if they can. I saw the frosh from North Allegheny drive and make a nice shot in the lane, which was nice because when Marley drives you just hope she hits the backboard. Although, late in the game she actually made one. Along with a made 3, I assume that was her highest point production ever.

We do a lot of things better than we did under the last coach. At least so far. We don’t turn it over as much. We aren’t always out of control when we run. We hustle more on defense. But, it has been against low level opposition and we still only are 5-5. It’s likely to be a very long season.

Our big need still is post players, and we didn’t sign one in the early signing period. The transfer portal will be a necessity.
Agree with a lot of your post. As for Marley W, I won't
give up on her yet. True, she can't shoot worth a hoot,
but hit a few the last game. She's an athlete, hustles,
and as she's coached and works on her shot, will IMO
become a much better player.

You said we "do a lot of things better than....under the last
coach." As you said though, it's against "low level opposition."
Many of us on here have mentioned this, and we're waiting to
see how we respond to that level of opposition. As long as we
hustle, stay spirited, improve, and remain competitive, I would
think that's about all we could ask for. Wins are gonna be far
and few between If any at all. I hope we stay competitive.

As for the "game inside," we don't have a big and geting one who
can actually play is a challenge. Portal maybe? Go ask Vball coach
Fischer. He knows how to do it. (I know, I know different animal
entirely.) Right now Verdi has to get as much improved talent as
possible. If no big, then get players who can actually play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT