PreLives

Prep
Nov 29, 2013
Bonaccorsi is in...

165 wild cards will be released at 3pm ET
157 at 3:30

133 wont be until 5:00

Seeds and brackets will come out at 6pm ET

Morelli just missed out... Moon from VT got one though, so if Morelli wouldve beat him for third he might have squeaked one out...

Mack and Bonaccorsi both got at large bids .......

so Pitt has 8 wrestlers headed for the NCAA National Wrestling Tournament !

125: Zanetta is seeded, but still doesnt have a great draw. He is going to have to wrestle at a different level than he has been at this entire season if he wants to even come close to an AA. He has Youtsey from Michigan in the first rd, a guy who has beaten him, and Garrett from Cornell in the second rd if he wins. In the consis it looks like he may catch Petrov from Bucknell, a guy who has beaten him twice this year.

133: Shelton has a pigtail to Ramos. Ugh. Then in consis might draw old nemesis Wilcox from Bloom. Another ugh.

141: Bright has a decent draw. Should win his first match which would match him up with Retherford from PSU. Retherford is amazing for a freshman, but Bright gave him some trouble last time. As long as Bright doesnt pick down, I think he could win this. But Retherford has a tough opening match with Ugi from the Citadel.

149: Mikey draws the 3 seed Villalonga. Tough, but if he had to draw a top six seed I probably wouldve picked Villalonga.

174: Not great. Wilps gets the 7 seed and draws Howe in the quarters and Kokesh in the semis. Kokesh pinned Tyler in about 15 seconds a couple years ago (long time, I know), but I dont see any way Wilps gets by Howe. Would much rather have been seeded 8 and seen Perry in the quarters...

184: Max looks solid as the four seed. Lofthouse in the quarters is typical Iowa. Hard hand fight, good condition and defense, not a lot of offense. I like Max in that matchup and then Sheptock in the semis, who I would rather wrestle than Ruth or Dean.

197: Bono isnt seeded but has a solid draw. He gets Penny from VT who he lost to last weekend, but handled easily in the dual, and if he wins he gets McIntosh, who he gave a lot of trouble to in the dual meet. Depends which Bono shows up.

285: Tasser draws 7 seed McClure from MSU first. McClure is probably a bad draw, because he is a smaller, more active heavy. I think he used to be 184-197 pounder, honestly, but he looks probably 230 right now. Winner would likely get Johnson from Ohio, who AA'ed two years ago and I believe Thomusseit bet him in the R12 last season. Hard to judge for PJs matches, since most of them are 3-2 or ot matches.

I see this as a very short tournament for most Pitt wrestlers. I can see only two making it through the first day unless Bright pulls an upset and Bono wrestles like he did in the season and not at the ACC championships. In fact, considering how poorly we have wrestled in the wrestle-backs for at least a decade, I can see us not finishing in the top 25, which would be a horrible showing by a team ranked as high as #6 nationally during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT