ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's New Athletic Director Barnes Looks To Boost Interest In Teams, Link!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Pitt's new athletic director Barnes looks to boost interest in teams
Athletic director Scott Barnes hasn't finished his second week on the job, but he already believes he knows what's bothering Pitt fans.

“I don't think we've listened to them as well as we need to,” he said Thursday during a 41-minute conversation with reporters when he talked about everything from Penn State to port-o-potties. “We've had fans who have been here for decades, who have been through the tough years and the good years,” he said. “They're certainly looking forward to the next set of good years.” When do they arrive?

He made no promises — other than vowing to make championships the goal — but he said it starts with building on and tapping into what he calls “an unbelievably high care factor” among fans. “People want to help. They care.” Barnes said Pitt has sold 3,500 new season-ticket packages, but that's not enough. He also wants an increase in the number of donors.
He said Pitt has the largest “living fan base” in the ACC. “Do we have more than anybody as it relates to engaged alumni?” he said. “Not yet. But it's a wonderful place to start.
To that end, Barnes has taken an idea that led to changes at Utah State — where he was athletic director for the past seven years — and brought it to Pitt.
:oops:
""It's pretty much standard operating procedure. Like the previous regime. \""" SoufOaklin4Life, Wednesday at 3:27 PM
:rolleyes:(GUESS SOMEONE WAS WRONG & HAS TO THINK AGAIN???) :rolleyes:

He has announced plans to form a 20-member Panther Fans Experience Committee that will meet quarterly, voice concerns and, hopefully,
formulate ideas. “It's an opportunity to engage fans in a real way,” he said, “not only to listen to them, but certainly executing some of their ideas over time.” After one day, he said there are 350 applicants.

“We want as diverse a group as we can get,” he said. “Donors, single-game purchasers, season-ticket purchasers, corporate sponsors, students. Several donors have called and said, ‘I want one of those spots. I know more about Pitt athletics than a lot of people do.' ” He said Utah State's fan committee addressed concerns about such items as lines at concession stands and port-o-potties at the stadium. But it also worked to improve lines of communication.

“(At Pitt), there may be 10 different things we haven't seen,” Barnes said. “Some will be obvious. Some may be a wake-up call.” Barnes arrives with a background in basketball — he played at Fresno State and served as chairman of the NCAA Tournament selection committee — but he understands football is the driving force behind any Power 5 school.

“A rising tide lifts all boats and that rising tide is football,” he said. “If we can get football right, then all of our programs succeed.” At Pitt, football has stagnated under three coaches for the past decade. Coach Pat Narduzzi admitted last week the fan base has “scars from too many coaching changes,” but in the next breath he added, “I'm here. I'm here.” ..................:mad::oops:"Pederson Poison":(:eek:

That type of commitment led Barnes to reciprocate with a 2 1⁄2-hour meeting last week to discuss Narduzzi's wants and needs. “We have to facilitate his success, he said. Already, Pitt is in the midst of a $3.5 million renovation of the South Side football facility, but the conversation between coach and AD took many turns.

Barnes said one of the topics centered on improved efficiency in football and basketball recruiting that he said can be easily attained by allowing coaches chartered travel services, funded by donations. “Like so many others that we compete with have,” he said. Speaking of competitors, Barnes said extending the series with Penn State beyond 2019 is “a priority.” “I've talked to (Penn State athletic director) Sandy Barbour,” he said. “That was my first call (upon taking office June 15). Make sure that's known.”

He added that resuming the West Virginia rivalry — dormant since 2011 — is “an important factor, as well.” But he immediately added, “Penn State's a priority.” Pitt and Penn State haven't met in football since 2000. The series is set to resume next year, with the first of four consecutive games.

“We want to play that game as long as we can, home and home,” Barnes said. On the matter of possible discipline for All-ACC wide receiver Tyler Boyd, who is facing DUI charges in Jefferson Hills, Barnes said it's Narduzzi's call, but he will have input. “We will walk down that road together,” he said. “I'm going to rely on my coaches to make disciplinary decisions, but they're not going to make them in a vacuum.”:rolleyes:

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8625815-74/penn-state-football#ixzz3e8kObnUf

Last edited:
Reactions: NC Panther
Gallagher, Barnes, Narduzzi and his staff.

We now have the pieces in place for tremendous success - I truly believe this now.

After all of these years of torture, we have FINALLY gotten this right - what a great article.

Our family had season tickets to Pitt Football beginning in 1967 when I was 10 - sitting in section 9 opposite the scoreboard at Pitt Stadium for years and years - saw the glory years and then...the 30 plus years for the most part...torture in one form or another.

To see the commitment, work ethic and vision of this leadership group does a longtime Pitt fan's heart good.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Gallagher, Barnes, Narduzzi and his staff. We now have the pieces in place for tremendous success - I truly believe this now. After all of these years of torture, we have FINALLY gotten this right - what a great article. Our family had season tickets to Pitt Football beginning in 1967 when I was 10 - sitting in section 9 opposite the scoreboard at Pitt Stadium for years and years - saw the glory years and then...the 30 plus years for the most part...torture in one form or another. To see the commitment, work ethic and vision of this leadership group does a longtime Pitt fan's heart good.
:)The New Doctor at Pitt was one for Innovation, diagnose the problem, sought Consultation and Concurrence, and Administered the Antidote to remove the Pederson Poison, and Barnes brought in to revive the Program with his own Innovations, unlike the Misinformation given by :oops:SouthofOakland:confused: that has been in Denial or Out of the Country or in a Coma, based on his Post full of Errors, reflective of his own small minded views, as usual! :eek:

Gallagher, Barnes, Narduzzi and his staff.

We now have the pieces in place for tremendous success - I truly believe this now.

After all of these years of torture, we have FINALLY gotten this right - what a great article.

Our family had season tickets to Pitt Football beginning in 1967 when I was 10 - sitting in section 9 opposite the scoreboard at Pitt Stadium for years and years - saw the glory years and then...the 30 plus years for the most part...torture in one form or another.

To see the commitment, work ethic and vision of this leadership group does a longtime Pitt fan's heart good.

REALLY?! I used to sit there too! I remember a kid, must have been about your age, 10, he looked like a bunny rabbit with red hair, had moles on his back, was that you?

Reactions: NC Panther
REALLY?! I used to sit there too! I remember a kid, must have been about your age, 10, he looked like a bunny rabbit with red hair, had moles on his back, was that you?

Si!!!

Isn't that a quinke-dink!!!

OMG, XIII-IX in the house again...

Um, I think your pizza pie may be delivered soon!!!

""It's pretty much standard operating procedure. Like the previous regime. \""" SoufOaklin4Life,

Of course.......the guy has been on the job for less than 30 days and this buffoon wants to lump him in with the incompetence of the past.

The ignore feature is my friend..............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT