ADVERTISEMENT

"Pittsburgh - Some things never change..."

I drove to Pittsburgh for a wedding this past weekend.

As I exited the Allegheny Mountain tunnel west bound on the PA Turnpike, I switched the radio station to WDVE. Talk about a time machine, same songs since 1982. Golden Earing, Bob Segar, Donny Iris, Manfred Mann.

And of course there was a cookie table at the reception. My cousins laughed that even Nevillewood Country Club catered for Hunky weddings.

Gotta love WDVE and cookie tables.

A friend graduated with me from Pitt KGSB early 90s. Moved away for employment. Rarely gets back here because he's not a native of the area. Came back a month ago for a business meeting. Met him in one of the hotel bars after work. It was still kinda early so they had channel 11 news on the t.v. He was astonished to see David Johnson and Peggy Finnegan were still the anchors, as they were when he left all those years ago.

As I exited the Allegheny Mountain tunnel west bound on the PA Turnpike, I switched the radio station to WDVE. Talk about a time machine, same songs since 1982. Golden Earing, Bob Segar, Donny Iris, Manfred Mann.

And of course there was a cookie table at the reception. My cousins laughed that even Nevillewood Country Club catered for Hunky weddings.

What’s wrong with cookie tables????

A friend graduated with me from Pitt KGSB early 90s. Moved away for employment. Rarely gets back here because he's not a native of the area. Came back a month ago for a business meeting. Met him in one of the hotel bars after work. It was still kinda early so they had channel 11 news on the t.v. He was astonished to see David Johnson and Peggy Finnegan were still the anchors, as they were when he left all those years ago.

That's a good thing, right?

Reactions: jtbuba
I was back in Pittsburgh for a wedding in early May and there was a cookie table with coffee.

Good times.

Several years ago, my son had his wedding reception at the Carolina Inn, on the campus of UNC in Chapel Hill.

Being a Pittsburgher through 'n through, my son considered it to be a necessity that they have a cookie table at their reception. The wedding planners at that historic venue had never heard of such a thing as a "cookie table"; as the Carolina Inn prides itself on Southern Charm and Hospitality, the wedding planners were somewhat reluctant to go along with something that wasn't steeped in Southern tradition.

My son produced several magazine and newspaper articles about the Pittsburgh Cookie Table Tradition, and he explained that with so many guests attending from Western PA, they'd be quite disappointed if the Carolina Inn didn't respect something that was such a big Pittsburgh tradition.

My son and his wife were convincing - they got their cookie table. :cool:

Last edited:
I didn't know cookie tables were a thing specific to Pittsburgh. I do like the "Pittsburgh toilet", we all know the older homes in the area that have a toilet there, in the unfinished basement, sitting there all by itself.. love those..

I heard putting money out at the bar and just leaving it there for your duration and having the barkeep make change from it is a Pittsburgh thing but im not sure about that one..

Potty_Blog_Insert_JFC.jpg

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
I didn't know cookie tables were a thing specific to Pittsburgh. I do like the "Pittsburgh toilet", we all know the older homes in the area that have a toilet there, in the unfinished basement, sitting there all by itself.. love those..

I heard putting money out at the bar and just leaving it there for your duration and having the barkeep make change from it is a Pittsburgh thing but im not sure about that one..

That is very modern. My relatives lived in Turtle Creek. The pot was in the basement-but,no flushing device.When finished,you poured in a bucket of water to do the flushing.

I used to commute from south hills to Monroeville. i'd go thru squirrel hill tunnels outbound and see people a mile or two on parkway east at 7:45am and wonder where in the hell they are going cause if it's work, in Pittsburgh, they wont be in their seats til well after 9..

That would suck. my condolences to any of you from the east making that commute..

Even as close as Altoona, cookie tables aren't a guarantee.

What’s wrong with cookie tables????
I was at a reception recently and had a bunch of Philly people intrigued by the concept of a cookie table. It’s so funny how it’s the same state but people are clueless about the traditions on the other side. Just like I don’t get “water ice” and tomato pies.

I was at a reception recently and had a bunch of Philly people intrigued by the concept of a cookie table. It’s so funny how it’s the same state but people are clueless about the traditions on the other side. Just like I don’t get “water ice” and tomato pies.
ok, i'll bite. what's a tomato pie? I mean I know what tomatoes are, I know what a pie is so my assumption is pie crust baked with tomatoes in it. that is why im praying im wrong and hope it's something else..

EDIT: I just did google image search. this actually looks pretty good..

133838_640x428.jpg

That's freakin' awesome. My parent had something similar - with the obligatory shower curtain as the only barrier between the toilet and the rest of the area. My mother was a clean-freak, so the area wasn't ever as dirty as that pic. And it was never called a "baserment"...the term used in our town was "cellar". :D

That's freakin' awesome. My parent had something similar - with the obligatory shower curtain as the only barrier between the toilet and the rest of the area. My mother was a clean-freak, so the area wasn't ever as dirty as that pic. And it was never called a "baserment"...the term used in our town was "cellar". :D
there was actually a wqed segment on the Pittsburgh toilet..

https://www.wesa.fm/post/documenting-pittsburgh-potty-architectural-mystery-our-basements

ok, i'll bite. what's a tomato pie? I mean I know what tomatoes are, I know what a pie is so my assumption is pie crust baked with tomatoes in it. that is why im praying im wrong and hope it's something else..

EDIT: I just did google image search. this actually looks pretty good..

133838_640x428.jpg
The Philly tomato pies that I have seen are no more than pizza crust and tomato paste (or maybe just regular pizza sauce) with no cheese. I'm sure we have some Philly Pitt fans who can clear this up!

The Philly tomato pies that I have seen are no more than pizza crust and tomato paste (or maybe just regular pizza sauce) with no cheese. I'm sure we have some Philly Pitt fans who can clear this up!
yeah, this pic just looks like a Chicago style pizza but with pie crust instead of pizza crust..

Several years ago, my son had his wedding reception at the Carolina Inn, on the campus of UNC in Chapel Hill.

Being a Pittsburgher through 'n through, my son considered it to be a necessity that they have a cookie table at their reception. The wedding planners at that historic venue had never heard of such a thing as a "cookie table"; as the Carolina Inn prides itself on Southern Charm and Hospitality, the wedding planners were somewhat reluctant to go along with something that wasn't steeped in Southern tradition.

My son produced several magazine and newspaper articles about the Pittsburgh Cookie Table Tradition, and he explained that with so many guests attending from Western PA, they'd be quite disappointed if the Carolina Inn didn't respect something that was such a big Pittsburgh tradition.

My son and his wife were convincing - they got their cookie table. :cool:
We were in Tucson for my niece's wedding. She insisted on a cookie table. We ordered a lot of Smiley Cookies to be shipped there. Big hit. Sean Miller was NOT invited.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
We were in Tucson for my niece's wedding. She insisted on a cookie table. We ordered a lot of Smiley Cookies to be shipped there. Big hit. Sean Miller was NOT invited.
^^^Good story.^^^

I learned that in some circles, it's a Southern Tradition to have a "groom's cake" at the reception, in addition to a regular wedding cake. So my son went along with that.

But to inject a touch of Pittsburgh into his groom's cake, my son had the local Chapel Hill baker painstakingly make his cake in the design of...(I'm not kidding)...a Terrible Towel. The guests from Western PA loved it.

Reactions: HOF Coach
^^^Good story.^^^

But to inject a touch of Pittsburgh into his groom's cake, my son had the local Chapel Hill baker painstakingly make his cake in the design of...(I'm not kidding)...a Terrible Towel. The guests from Western PA loved it.
I don't know why you would suspect any of us would have thought you were kidding!

Now, if he had asked for a Script Pitt cake (which i personally think would be awesome, by the way), that might have raised an eyebrow...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT