ADVERTISEMENT

Poll On New Board!

How Do You Lke New Rival's PantherLair Message Board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't like not being able to see certain people's avatars that allowed me to skip certain posters and allowed me to make to sure to read certain posters. Strange indeed...

I miss seeing all the threads remarks and kind look like a forced topic board, but still going through it. There are improvements I enjoy and expect it may take time to get used to, but not that bad, just tad confusing. Still did not have to log on and hope that works when needed in the future? Still better than Scout that I visited last night and took 7 hits to get a College Football Board? :rolleyes:

It's like opening your favorite book and find it's been converted to Greek. It was so nice and easy to to go on thread view and find the exact thread you are interested in and reply you want to read without wading thru a jungle of topics that move every time someone posts on it. Message boards are supposed to be a sort of conversation which is impossible on topic view because every post lines up in the order they were posted, regardless of who was replying to who. In short this new board SUCKS. Chris, we need to have the option of using thread view.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
It's like opening your favorite book and find it's been converted to Greek. It was so nice and easy to to go on thread view and find the exact thread you are interested in and reply you want to read without wading thru a jungle of topics that move every time someone posts on it. Message boards are supposed to be a sort of conversation which is impossible on topic view because every post lines up in the order they were posted, regardless of who was replying to who. In short this new board SUCKS. Chris, we need to have the option of using thread view.

YEP, I am not liking these changes without a Thread View? :mad:

Many other aspects look great and easier to use! ;)

I will not say it Sucks, but more difficult to follow and conversing looks more challenging? :cool:

Yes, it would've been nice if they made the upgrades in functionality, while still keeping the thread view option.

A few thoughts:

When you're looking at the board, Topic View is a much more concise and cleaner view. Thread View can get unruly when threads get long.

The concerns about disjointed conversation don't really hold, since the new boards allow for auto-quoting and quoting from multiple posts in a thread, so they are actually more conducive to coherent discussion (at least in terms of format).

Even better is that you can tell right away if a thread has new posts that you haven't seen (threads with new posts are bold-faced on the board). And when you click on threads that have new replies, it takes you directly to the posts you haven't read yet.

I think as you get used to it, you'll come to like the changes. And there are plenty more changes than just eliminating Thread View.

I was on the fence at first, but once sputtering around on here, I actually like it more. Cleaner and visually nicer. Also works just as well on my phone. There are a few nice things like the "Back to threads/forum" click and also the little arrow that pops up that allows you to go back to the top.

Reading the board without thread view makes it incomprehensible. I'm not likely to post much unless the thread view is restored...just too complicated to figure out and requires that you wade through every topic.

It is weird, it is easier to posts and all upgrades are really good, but losing the Thread as you say, makes it hard to follow and I am myself will be leaving soon too. Posted way too much away and the disorganization is just not worth the time anymore. In reality, it is a forced Topic View not a Thread View.

Sometimes, IP Techs just make it too complicated even when attempting to make it easier and like anything else, they think their modernizations are improvements when they made themselves obsolete!

May put up a Website in the future with a group of Sports Lawyers & Academics and we will make it real simple to post and follow the posts! Rivals really looks like it cares about the Mobile Devices more and are geared up for that Technology and the Thread View hurts that small device viewing.

Well, it has been nice and all good things come to an end sooner or later!

It is weird, it is easier to posts and all upgrades are really good, but losing the Thread as you say, makes it hard to follow and I am myself will be leaving soon too. Posted way too much away and the disorganization is just not worth the time anymore. In reality, it is a forced Topic View not a Thread View.

Sometimes, IP Techs just make it too complicated even when attempting to make it easier and like anything else, they think their modernizations are improvements when they made themselves obsolete!

May put up a Website in the future with a group of Sports Lawyers & Academics and we will make it real simple to post and follow the posts! Rivals really looks like it cares about the Mobile Devices more and are geared up for that Technology and the Thread View hurts that small device viewing.

Well, it has been nice and all good things come to an end sooner or later!
I just don't see the logic that this is more complicated to follow. The post you are replying to is automatically quoted in your reply, so it's actually easier. In fact, this makes it easier to understand PITTLAW's replies; instead of a vague "Reply" topic on each post and no indication of which post he's actually replying to, you can tell because the post in question is quoted in the reply. It's less complicated; not more.

The other thing I would mention is that Rivals isn't exactly breaking into new territory here; if anything, the board upgrades bring Rivals closer to what the rest of the internet has been doing for quite some time. Yes, there was an effort made to improve the mobile product because that's the way the world is going: more and more people are spending more and more time online with their mobile devices than they are with their computers.

I just don't see the logic that this is more complicated to follow. The post you are replying to is automatically quoted in your reply, so it's actually easier. In fact, this makes it easier to understand PITTLAW's replies; instead of a vague "Reply" topic on each post and no indication of which post he's actually replying to, you can tell because the post in question is quoted in the reply. It's less complicated; not more.

The other thing I would mention is that Rivals isn't exactly breaking into new territory here; if anything, the board upgrades bring Rivals closer to what the rest of the internet has been doing for quite some time. Yes, there was an effort made to improve the mobile product because that's the way the world is going: more and more people are spending more and more time online with their mobile devices than they are with their computers.
I understand what you're saying when directly involved in the discussion, but where thread view is preferred by some (including myself) is the visual it presents when you're not necessarily posting. MUCH easier to scan and see who is/has been participating. I'll admit there are certain posters whose opinions/comments I prefer above others and vice versa. Now I'm forced to read everyone's posts. That takes a whole lot more time and although I agree this format is somewhat cleaner, thread view used in the way I described was also very "clean" and easy.

I understand what you're saying when directly involved in the discussion, but where thread view is preferred by some (including myself) is the visual it presents when you're not necessarily posting. MUCH easier to scan and see who is/has been participating. I'll admit there are certain posters whose opinions/comments I prefer above others and vice versa. Now I'm forced to read everyone's posts. That takes a whole lot more time and although I agree this format is somewhat cleaner, thread view used in the way I described was also very "clean" and easy.
I can understand that; I don't tend to take that approach - cherry-picking posters - so that's not an issue for me. But I can see how others would prefer that.

I think these things are big improvements, though:

- Going to the board and immediately seeing which threads have posts you haven't read yet.
- Clicking on a thread and being taken immediately to the first post you haven't read yet.
- Automatically quoting replies, which improves the flow of discussion and makes the discussion easier to follow, in my opinion.

Those three things really stand out to me as major improvements over the old format, regardless of the Thread vs. Topic debate. I know there are Thread View diehards; I've talked with other Rivals publishers, and every site has people who really love Thread View. I even had it as my default, so I'm not a staunch Topic View supporter. But overall, I think the improvements outweigh the loss of Thread View. For me, at least.

Well... I think the less posting speaks for itself. I think it is easier when using a phone, but looks boring and uninteresting on the laptop. Ive certainly posted a whole lot less.

Well... I think the less posting speaks for itself. I think it is easier when using a phone, but looks boring and uninteresting on the laptop. Ive certainly posted a whole lot less.
It's funny you say that, because it looks to me like there have been more posts. I think that's the case on the premium board, at least.

It's funny you say that, because it looks to me like there have been more posts. I think that's the case on the premium board, at least.
With thread view there are many times a poster replies to the OP then a long discussion will go on with that poster while the original discussion goes on with the OP. That was easy to follow on thread because the whole topic was laid out right there for you to see. If I replied to someone today it was easy to log on tomorrow or whenever and easily follow any discussion that sprang from my reply. Not now.

I can understand that; I don't tend to take that approach - cherry-picking posters - so that's not an issue for me. But I can see how others would prefer that.

I think these things are big improvements, though:

- Going to the board and immediately seeing which threads have posts you haven't read yet.
- Clicking on a thread and being taken immediately to the first post you haven't read yet.
- Automatically quoting replies, which improves the flow of discussion and makes the discussion easier to follow, in my opinion.

Those three things really stand out to me as major improvements over the old format, regardless of the Thread vs. Topic debate. I know there are Thread View diehards; I've talked with other Rivals publishers, and every site has people who really love Thread View. I even had it as my default, so I'm not a staunch Topic View supporter. But overall, I think the improvements outweigh the loss of Thread View. For me, at least.
I should have clarified that I have embraced the new format and hope to contribute as much as before even if it isn't exactly how I liked it. This is a great board.

Who cares about aesthetics of a web site intended to facilitate discussion among fans? Yeah, it is easy to reply to a specific person [although only a few morons had trouble doing so in the prior incarnation]...but following a discussion or thread is next to impossible now. I know you have to sell this and talk it up like it is the new sliced bread...but not having a thread view makes it next to impossible. Cherry picking particular posters comments was the only rational way to participate in a discussion here. Now you must wade through every single comment. Maybe it looks cleaner...but who has the time for this now? By the way, the old site had cookies and it was simple to tell what you had read and what you had not....so solving a problem that did not exist is hardly an improvement, at least in my book.

Who cares about aesthetics of a web site intended to facilitate discussion among fans? Yeah, it is easy to reply to a specific person [although only a few morons had trouble doing so in the prior incarnation]...but following a discussion or thread is next to impossible now. I know you have to sell this and talk it up like it is the new sliced bread...but not having a thread view makes it next to impossible. Cherry picking particular posters comments was the only rational way to participate in a discussion here. Now you must wade through every single comment. Maybe it looks cleaner...but who has the time for this now? By the way, the old site had cookies and it was simple to tell what you had read and what you had not....so solving a problem that did not exist is hardly an improvement, at least in my book.
I don't have to talk it up; I really don't. There are things Rivals has done in the past that I have disagreed with, and I wasn't dishonest in expressing my thoughts in those situations. And like I said, I had Thread View as my default, so I used it as well.

I guess everyone has their own preferences. Personally, I think this is a considerable improvement.

With thread view there are many times a poster replies to the OP then a long discussion will go on with that poster while the original discussion goes on with the OP. That was easy to follow on thread because the whole topic was laid out right there for you to see. If I replied to someone today it was easy to log on tomorrow or whenever and easily follow any discussion that sprang from my reply. Not now.

If you replied to someone today. And they replied to you tomorrow. You will see it in your notifications. You can then click in the notification and be taken right to their reply in the thread.

Pitt-Girl,

I agree, when it comes to discussing a particular subject it is not complicated and easier as I mention, but it is about selecting what posts one wants to read as you said, as well as what we want to view overall.

I agree with others too, it should be about what trends and techs are being used more and the mobile devices will prevail. It is also very important about the Premium Board since it pays for the websites and that is just fine with me too.

Sports is about the coming age of change and Rivals did a great job addressing their concerns, make it easier on topics, and Dinosaurs did die out due to changes they could not adapt to, and so will some Posters but by choice not change.

I used to go on scout and seldom post but did look at recruiting and info but have not done that more than 3 to 4 times all of last year, and now just don't want to take the time, just like I avoid PPG and Fan 93.7.

Today's world gives the option to choose what we want and are comfortable in doing, and now deciding to make some changes myself, and I enjoyed reading all on the Lair yet change comes sooner or later, but comes!

Pittlaw is salty because his redundant Reply has been rendered obsolete .
Not at all...just logical about following a conversation and discussion. The present set up makes it impossible to observe and follow the comprehensive discussion. But hey, you will likely get away with saying a lot of stupid stuff that I would have otherwise called you out on...so consider it a blessing;)

Yeah, I can see that. But you have to wade through the entire thread to see if others are saying other things without replying to you directly. Taking out the Re: line was not a good idea or an improvement. Skipping over posters that you usually ignore has also been removed as an option...which you could do before based upon the position and context of a post thread.

Not at all...just logical about following a conversation and discussion. The present set up makes it impossible to observe and follow the comprehensive discussion. But hey, you will likely get away with saying a lot of stupid stuff that I would have otherwise called you out on...so consider it a blessing;)
I'm not worried about it, you are a step above gridiron sage when in regards to logical consistency .

I did not comment much on the new format when it began. I said then that I preferred the thread format. But, I also assumed I would come to like the new board layout as I became more familiar.

While I acknowledge that the graphics are sharper and the underlying technology might be better, even with experience, I prefer the former set-up. That said, I realize this is the new format and it will continue. While, I don't post often, I did read the board virtually every day. Since the change, I've reduced my viewing time and will no doubt continue to visit less than in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT