ADVERTISEMENT

Question on the previous series with Tennessee...

TD_6082

Athletic Director
Aug 11, 2001
Hampton Roads, VA
Does anybody know or remember why the series with Tennessee in the 80s was not a home & home? I know Tennessee made away trips to Rutgers & Boston College during the 80s under Majors. Why wasn't the UT/Pitt series a home and home?

Originally posted by TD_6082:

Does anybody know or remember why the series with Tennessee in the 80s was not a home & home? I know Tennessee made away trips to Rutgers & Boston College during the 80s under Majors. Why wasn't the UT/Pitt series a home and home?
Don't know the specific reasons. But here are some other questions: What SEC teams have played at Pitt? When did they play at Pitt?

Other than in bowl games, I know we played Georgia when Tony D. was here but it was in Athens. That showed Pitt was stepping up talent wise. Pitt has NEVER played Alabama which astounds me.

Florida - can't recall
Auburn - can't recall
Tennessee - never here apparently
South Carolina - can't recall
Missouri - can't recall
A & M - can't recall
Vanderbilt - why bother
Kentucky - can't recall
Mississippi or Miss. St. - can't recall
LSU - can't recall

I give up. When was the last few times an SEC team has played here?

Probably meant as a trick question...but Texas A&M would be the answer...September 2002 [although they were not a member of the SEC at the time]. Otherwise, I believe it was South Carolina in 1985. Believe that series was signed after Pitt dismantled the Gamecocks in the Gator Bowl in 1980. Hail to Pitt!

Re: Reply

Originally posted by PITTLAW:
Probably meant as a trick question...but Texas A&M would be the answer...September 2002 [although they were not a member of the SEC at the time]. Otherwise, I believe it was South Carolina in 1985. Believe that series was signed after Pitt dismantled the Gamecocks in the Gator Bowl in 1980. Hail to Pitt!
Not meant to be a trick question. Just think the answer is a revealing one. Because since the SEC was founded in late 1932 (with football play beginning in 1933), no SEC team has played at Pitt while a member of the SEC.

You're right, TX A&M was the last school that is now a member of the SEC (A&M joined the SEC in 2012) to play at Pitt. But when they did, they were a member of the Big XII. S. Carolina was an independent (during the period after they left the ACC and before they joined the SEC in 1990) when they played at Pitt.

GA Tech, a former SEC member until 1964, played at Pitt in 1918, 1919 & 1920 according to the Pitt media guide, but that was before there was an SEC.

Re: Never

Originally posted by DreamBackfield:
I don't think an SEC team has ever played us at our place.
Hard to believe since Pitt has been playing football for 125 years and counting, but that is right.

Pitt has played reg. season road games at TN (2); FL (1); & GA (2). They also played UGA twice in the Sugar bowl on 1/1/1977 & 1/1/1982.

They played KY & Ole Miss in 1 bowl game each.

They played reg. season games at S. Carolina (2) and at Pitt (1) when SC was an independent. Also played SC in the '80 Gator Bowl when SC was an independent.

They played home-and home with TX A&M when A&M was in the big XII.

They played GT in a couple of bowl games after the '55 & '56 seasons when GT was a member of the SEC, but never at Pitt. Pitt also played reg season games at GT in 1974 & 1976 when GT was an independent. But GT never came to Pitt before Pitt entered the ACC. Now they'll play here every other year as an ACC Coastal opp.

Pitt has never played Vandy; AL; AUB; ARK; LSU; MISS St. anywhere.

Pitt has played once - in 1940 according to the media guide - in Pgh. vs. current SEC member Missouri.

Pitt (or any northern team) not playing an SEC team might be related to segregation, at least though the early 70's as southern teams sought to remain segregated not only for there own players, but there opponents as well. Kentucky broke the barrier in 1967 and the last to integrate was LSU and Ole Miss in 1972. You can actually see the progression made by looking at the all-american team pictures starting in the late 60's through the late 70's/ As college football became more diverse, so too did the all-american teams.

Re: Never

Originally posted by California Panther:

Originally posted by PittMan 72:

But GT never came to Pitt before Pitt entered the ACC. Now they'll play here every other year as an ACC Coastal opp.
Georgia Tech played Pitt in Pittsburgh in 1918, 1919, and 1920.
Yeah, mentioned that in another post in this thread. That was before there was an SEC - or even a Pitt Stadium.

Before 1980 none of the SEC would tolerate playing Northern schools which included "coloreds" on the roster

I was there Marino's jr year in Columbia when PITT played South Carolina. South Carolina also played
At PITT stadium. Pitt won both games big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT