ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hartman opt-out a reflection on the sad

The entire regular season counts. Its a 3 month marathon. Should players opt out after they are eliminated from anything meaningful? Yes. But it still "counts." Bowl season is an entirely new season in between the regular season and the Spring Game. Players take off for 2 weeks and take finals and then come back to practice for this 1 exhibition game. It is something different than the regular season. If you think its important and want to count it, go right ahead. I dont. And many future NFL draft picks do not. You argued against your own position when you noted that players dont opt out of rather meaningless regular season games but do opt out of bowls in great numbers.
Uuummmm…anyone remember Paris Ford?

Hypothetically could a player who “went pro” but didn’t complete school go back to college ball? I mean honestly since college players are paid what is stopping someone from doing this?

My son and I were joking about it yesterday and thinking at this point what’s stopping it? lol other than pride of the player?

Its gotta be possible to work it into the agreements, I would think.

Make it more back loaded, w playing in the bowl game, if medically cleared, a requirement to get the final payment.
It can’t have anything to do with the players even playing for a certain team let alone actually playing at all.

Even if it was possible, the schools and collectives don’t have the bargaining power. If they tried to put that in, the kid would just choose to accept a similar deal elsewhere, just like any other American industry with limited and highly-specialized workforce.

Having obligations makes one a slave?

This is the result of living a life way too comfortably.
Name another industry where all of the employers nominate an oversight board that sets industry-wide regulations. From what the employees can eat, to what they can wear, how much they get paid, what benefits can be offered, and the length of their contract.

It can’t have anything to do with the players even playing for a certain team let alone actually playing at all.

Even if it was possible, the schools and collectives don’t have the bargaining power. If they tried to put that in, the kid would just choose to accept a similar deal elsewhere, just like any other American industry with limited and highly-specialized workforce.
Ah ...

The fact that he's at Notre Dame is a reflection of the sad state of college football today.
What’s so special about Notre Dame? It’s 2023 not 1923, the only people who give two farts about Notre Dame are boomers who heard stories from their grandpappy’s about them.

Hypothetically could a player who “went pro” but didn’t complete school go back to college ball? I mean honestly since college players are paid what is stopping someone from doing this?

My son and I were joking about it yesterday and thinking at this point what’s stopping it? lol other than pride of the player?

Eventually there will be unlimited eligibility. The NCAA wont be allowed to have eligibility rules other than that you have to be taking classes. If you want to play college football for 20 years, go for it. If you want to retire from the NFL and go back to college and play, that's fine too.

What’s so special about Notre Dame? It’s 2023 not 1923, the only people who give two farts about Notre Dame are boomers who heard stories from their grandpappy’s about them.
What I meant was this is his sixth season at his seond school. Has nothing to do with Notre Dame.

Reactions: happjack
state of the once great game of college football.

This is a guy who will, at best, be a very late round draft pick and may never take a snap for an NFL team. And he’s opting out to protect his health for the slight possibility that he may have an NFL future.

Pathetic.

Honest question- if the players and coaches don't care about these exhibitions; why do you?

state of the once great game of college football.

This is a guy who will, at best, be a very late round draft pick and may never take a snap for an NFL team. And he’s opting out to protect his health for the slight possibility that he may have an NFL future.

Pathetic.
Kenny did the same. And he’s turned out to quite the underperformer in the NFL

The players tell you how much these games mean by the number of them who sit them out.

Some fans might not want to think that these games are exhibitions, but many, probably most, of the players certainly think that they are.
They're exhibitions that count towards records. They'll be even bigger exhibitions next year with an expanded playoff. They need some sort of monetary incentive for the players who win the game like they had for the Pro Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT