ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game moves back to Heinz Field next year

DreamBackfield

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2001
I heard the crowd at Highmark Stadium was standing room only. According to the Duzz, it will be moving back to Heinz.

We need to start getting 20-30k at least to show up to this event.

That is probably a pipe dream with this "fan base"!

Few schools get 20,000 to 30,000

Clemson led the ACC this year with 37,000. Pitt did about the middle of the pack in the ACC.

Moving back to Heinz will suck the life out of what was a nice event yesterday. The place was packed and fans are practically on the field, which is an experience that you Cannot have at Heinz. There is no atmosphere at Heinze without a big crowd, which will not happen for a Spring game. Make it fu n for those who go, rather than trying to draw a bigger crowd.

It all depends on the weather. This is a fair-weather(literally and figuratively) sports city.

I'm not all the way sold on having it at Heinz after yesterday.
They have the fan fest there in August for fans to go there too.
I would say either place now for sure and no more high schools etc.
My third choice would be too somehow have it at the Pitt soccer complex in oakland.

10,000 to 15,000? Doubtful.
How many attended the spring games in 2003 or 2010? Should Pitt do well this season, spring 2016 would most resemble those springs.

I would also say those comments don't lend much hope to those wanting to tarp Heinz field, or that in t hat e unlikely event a new stadium is built that it would be right sized to 50,000 or so.

Even with 10-15 K, the atmosphere will be dead at Heinz. The place is just too big for that kind of crowd, and fans are too far from the field to have the kind of interactions that we did at Highmark on Saturday. Forget how many show up - make it special for the ones who do. Who wants to sit in the upper deck at Heinz field to watch an exhibition where the qb's aren't being tackled, there are no punt or kick off returns, and the 2nd half is scoreless?

Reactions: trusteejohn
Moving back to Heinz will suck the life out of what was a nice event yesterday. The place was packed and fans are practically on the field, which is an experience that you Cannot have at Heinz. There is no atmosphere at Heinze without a big crowd, which will not happen for a Spring game. Make it fu n for those who go, rather than trying to draw a bigger crowd.

True, what was the biggest crowd for a spring game? They got 5000+ at Highmark, I think that this could be a nice little tradition. Pittsburgh will never turn out 99,000 for a Spring game like tOSU, or even 20,000. And you know what? It's a good thing, shows Pittsburgh is a major league city and Columbus is a hick town. I saw the pictures of the game, and the visuals are awesome, packed stands, beautiful views, it might of even seemed loud. Put it in Hienz Field and even if you draw 10,000 it will seem dead.

I still prefer Highmark, but alot of big schools have them in near empty main stadiums.
CDe7uqFUIAAUJF9.jpg:large

Reactions: ncpittfan
At least you pitters are consistent. The Highmark Stadium website says that it seats 3,500 people. pitt says "over 5,000 attended." This is consistent with your game attendance announcements. You really get about 15,000 sleepy apathetic fans but lie and say you have an attendance of 35,000. Pathetic. I hope you appreciate that the rest of the Pennsylvania taxpayers pony up the money to support your delusion that you are a real football program.
BOTH Joe's knew. This d-bag probably supplied Jerry's soap.

The big reason for moving it back to Heinz Field is the staff cant host recruits at HS or stadiums like Highmark for the Spring Game. They had to get a waiver from the NCAA to host recruits this year and only received one because Heinz Field is under construction with the South endzone and pavilion area all torn up for the new field club seats.

Thats the major reason for moving it back to Heinz. It wasnt that the staff or athletic department didnt like having the packs stands and more family atmosphere at Highmark, but they would not be able to host recruits there for future games. Not to mention with some winning seasons in the program, Pitt would completely outgrow Highmark. In fact, it was already outgrown in years one.

At least you pitters are consistent. The Highmark Stadium website says that it seats 3,500 people. pitt says "over 5,000 attended." This is consistent with your game attendance announcements. You really get about 15,000 sleepy apathetic fans but lie and say you have an attendance of 35,000. Pathetic. I hope you appreciate that the rest of the Pennsylvania taxpayers pony up the money to support your delusion that you are a real football program.

Surely even a nitter can understand the concept of "standing room" at a sporting event, can't they? I mean we know you aren't very bright, but surely you've heard of it before. After all, Highmark has 3,500 seats and yet the Riverhounds have had over 4,000 people there for games on a couple of different occasions, when they played Wigan Athletic in a friendly there the summer the stadium opened, for example. The Penguins routinely announce crowds in excess of the CEC capacity. Is that a lie as well, or have perhaps the Pengiuns figured out this concept of "standing room" as well?

I hope you appreciate the taxpayers of Pennsylvania ponying up the money to pay for your top administrators, from the football coach on down, covering up for a pedophile. Somehow I doubt your delusion allows you to recognize that.

Our group enjoys the spring game no matter where it is. We tailgated over by the Gateway Clipper and it was fun as hell.

Go Panthers

The big reason for moving it back to Heinz Field is the staff cant host recruits at HS or stadiums like Highmark for the Spring Game. They had to get a waiver from the NCAA to host recruits this year and only received one because Heinz Field is under construction with the South endzone and pavilion area all torn up for the new field club seats.

Thats the major reason for moving it back to Heinz. It wasnt that the staff or athletic department didnt like having the packs stands and more family atmosphere at Highmark, but they would not be able to host recruits there for future games. Not to mention with some winning seasons in the program, Pitt would completely outgrow Highmark. In fact, it was already outgrown in years one.

thanks^

ADVERTISEMENT