ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Have Been Slime Ball Liars For A While

Dec 20, 2019
Mark Madden wrote this little number which I cut down for space.

The Steelers had a Hall of Fame quarterback, a generational talent at receiver and arguably the best back of his era. They currently have an elite defense.
A lot of bad decisions had to be made to underachieve so badly.
The worst might have been made in 2011. The Steelers lied about making it. Perhaps they were trying to disguise the shakiness of the decision.
It was firing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.
The Steelers said Arians “retired.” Arians didn’t. He will coach Tampa Bay in Super Bowl LV a week from Sunday.
Since “retiring” from the Steelers, Arians has won NFL Coach of the Year twice and four playoff games, one more than Mike Tomlin. During stints at Indianapolis, Arizona and Tampa Bay, Arians has had less to work with than Tomlin. Well, till Tom Brady showed up, anyway.

The Steelers’ skill-position personnel got better after Arians “retired.” Rashard Mendenhall gave way to Le’Veon Bell at running back. Antonio Brown emerged. The offensive line coalesced around Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro. Tight end Heath Miller was still solid.
But the Steelers became a regular-season force and a playoff bust: Paper champions. Individuals bloomed statistically, their egos accordingly. But the only quarterbacks the Steelers beat in the postseason over the past nine years are A.J. McCarron, Matt Moore and Alex Smith.
Roethlisberger got sacked an absurd 215 times during Arians’ five seasons. One reason for replacing Arians was to put Roethlisberger at less risk. Roethlisberger held the ball longer in Arians’ offense by way of looking to make plays.

The article continues after comparing some offensive numbers post Arians. Tell me if this next so called Tomlin quote you heard this year sounds familiar.
“No risk it, no biscuit” is one of Arians’ favored phrases. He has a shot at the ultimate biscuit when he coaches in Super Bowl LV. The closest the Steelers have come to a Super Bowl since Arians left is a 19-point loss to New England in the 2016 season’s AFC championship game. (Which is still true today).
If the Steelers have underachieved since Arians left, it’s not because they haven’t been talented enough.
New offensive coordinator Matt Canada has his work cut out for him. His predecessor, Randy Fichtner, didn’t make the receivers drop balls. He didn’t make the offensive line stink. He didn’t assemble the NFL’s worst group of running backs. Scheme didn’t kill the running game. Personnel did.

Bottom line... As an organization the Steelers have been liars, poor decision makers, and underachievers for a while now and Kenny Pickett didn't cause that. But ya know.... Yinz keep telling yourself he is why yinz ain't winning Super Bowls N'AT.

The Steelers had a Hall of Fame quarterback, a generational talent at receiver and arguably the best back of his era. They currently have an elite defense.
The worst might have been made in 2011. The Steelers lied about making it. Perhaps they were trying to disguise the shakiness of the decision.
The Steelers said Arians “retired.” Arians didn’t. He will coach Tampa Bay in Super Bowl LV a week from Sunday.
Since “retiring” from the Steelers, Arians has won NFL Coach of the Year twice and four playoff games, one more than Mike Tomlin. During stints at Indianapolis, Arizona and Tampa Bay, Arians has had less to work with than Tomlin. Well, till Tom Brady showed up, anyway.

The Steelers’ skill-position personnel got better after Arians “retired.” Rashard Mendenhall gave way to Le’Veon Bell at running back. Antonio Brown emerged. The offensive line coalesced around Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro. Tight end Heath Miller was still solid.
But the Steelers became a regular-season force and a playoff bust: Paper champions. Individuals bloomed statistically, their egos accordingly. But the only quarterbacks the Steelers beat in the postseason over the past nine years are A.J. McCarron, Matt Moore and Alex Smith.
Roethlisberger got sacked an absurd 215 times during Arians’ five seasons. One reason for replacing Arians was to put Roethlisberger at less risk. Roethlisberger held the ball longer in Arians’ offense by way of looking to make plays.

The article continues after comparing some offensive numbers post Arians. Tell me if this next so called Tomlin quote you heard this year sounds familiar.
“No risk it, no biscuit” is one of Arians’ favored phrases. He has a shot at the ultimate biscuit when he coaches in Super Bowl LV. The closest the Steelers have come to a Super Bowl since Arians left is a 19-point loss to New England in the 2016 season’s AFC championship game. (Which is still true today).
If the Steelers have underachieved since Arians left, it’s not because they haven’t been talented enough.
New offensive coordinator Matt Canada has his work cut out for him. His predecessor, Randy Fichtner, didn’t make the receivers drop balls. He didn’t make the offensive line stink. He didn’t assemble the NFL’s worst group of running backs. Scheme didn’t kill the running game. Personnel did.

Bottom line... As an organization the Steelers have been liars, poor decision makers, and underachievers for a while now and Kenny Pickett didn't cause that. But ya know.... Yinz keep telling yourself he is why yinz ain't winning Super Bowls N'AT.
Please do us all a favor and don't post crap from that bloviated slob. Once in a while he may be right but his main object is to piss people off.

You bring up something that happened 13 years ago to say the Steelers are liars and bad decision makers. And this is a week after they significantly upgrade their roster by changing the way they typically do business. I’m not sure I understand your point?

You bring up something that happened 13 years ago to say the Steelers are liars and bad decision makers. And this is a week after they significantly upgrade their roster by changing the way they typically do business. I’m not sure I understand your point?
That upgrade is TBD. However, they are in the running for off-season champs.

I liked the Patrick Queen addition, sure glad the Ravens fired him.
Arians explains to Andrea Kremer that he’d been told by coach Mike Tomlin a new contract was coming, with an adjustment aimed at reflecting the team’s performance on offense. A few days later, the call came.

"[Tomlin] said, ‘I can’t get you the money,’” Arians tells Kremer. I said, ‘Okay.’ He said, ‘No, I can’t get you a contract.’ I said, ‘Are you firing me?’ He said, ‘No. . . .’

“‘Well . . . it’s just a matter of words, Mike,’” Arian said. “‘Okay. If I don’t have a contract, I’m fired.’

You got a problem with the wording...I'm just stating it how it was stated.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Arians explains to Andrea Kremer that he’d been told by coach Mike Tomlin a new contract was coming, with an adjustment aimed at reflecting the team’s performance on offense. A few days later, the call came.

"[Tomlin] said, ‘I can’t get you the money,’” Arians tells Kremer. I said, ‘Okay.’ He said, ‘No, I can’t get you a contract.’ I said, ‘Are you firing me?’ He said, ‘No. . . .’

“‘Well . . . it’s just a matter of words, Mike,’” Arian said. “‘Okay. If I don’t have a contract, I’m fired.’

So he didn’t have a contract? Then I guess he wasn’t fired. It’s pretty simple.

Technically the stiller yinzers are right. He wasn’t fired. But he didn’t retire either

Sounds like the same bullshit they pulled with Rudy. Telling him they have agreed to contract terms and then back tracking.

It’s their prerogative and it’s business. perhaps not the most honorable way to do business but nothing overly unethical. It may well be the reason Tomlin has had problems hiring top notch assistants Most of his staff have been less than impressive to be kind

Upgrade with Wilson and Fields? Neither has won anything in the last 7 years. Tell me what Wilson had done in 5 years, and tell me what Fields has done since he has been in the league?

You people are acting like they are winning a SB. They hired an OC who again brings a 70's type of offense. A RB who is okay, but not great. The only year Smith's offense worked well, was Tanehill played his best ever and 1 great WR and a horse in DH. The Steelers have none if that. All the KP bashers will be very disappointed in the QB room when the season starts.

Upgrade with Wilson and Fields? Neither has won anything in the last 7 years. Tell me what Wilson had done in 5 years, and tell me what Fields has done since he has been in the league?

You people are acting like they are winning a SB. They hired an OC who again brings a 70's type of offense. A RB who is okay, but not great. The only year Smith's offense worked well, was Tanehill played his best ever and 1 great WR and a horse in DH. The Steelers have none if that. All the KP bashers will be very disappointed in the QB room when the season starts.
Over the past 5 years? Umm…Wilson threw for 138 TDs and 43 Interceptions.

You say Russ and Fields haven’t done anything. What has Pickett done?

Last edited:

They aren't winning with Pickett or Rudolph either. At least the guys they brought in have the potential to produce points on offense. That is something Pickett has shown he can't do. There's also minimal investment in both players so if it doesn't work out they can try again next year. Nothing worse than locking into a huge contract with an average or worse QB (ex. Daniel Jones).

I generally agree with this but i think the truth as always is somewhere in the middle

As I’ve said many times the jury is still out on KP. He showed flashes of promise but still had issues dating back to his earlier years at Pitt of locking in recovers and flushing the pocket too soon. Some of us in the give KP the benefit of the doubt camp think many of the issues relate to the crap OL. Moron OC and the general conservative nature of Tomlins offense. He played much better in the brief time he played without Canada which many of his detractors refuse to admit or acknowledge

For him to succeed here he needed more talent around him specifically a better OL (center and RT). A better coordinator and upgrades over Johnson and the third wr

Interestingly enough the same media that’s trashing KP is saying Wilson will need the same upgrades to be successful imagine that

So if the Steelers are able to plug those holes and Wilson is able to take advantage of those improvements Im sure the KP haters will pound their chests and claim they were right And just like Rudy benefiting from playing against shitty defenses without being handicapped by Canada it will be impossible to say if KP would have played as well.

Only time will tell if it was an upgrade or not. If and when KP gets another chance to start we’ll find out. That may be this year if Hurts gets hurt or it may be down the road.

They aren't winning with Pickett or Rudolph either. At least the guys they brought in have the potential to produce points on offense. That is something Pickett has shown he can't do. There's also minimal investment in both players so if it doesn't work out they can try again next year. Nothing worse than locking into a huge contract with an average or worse QB (ex. Daniel Jones).

Pickett hasn't "proven" anything other than the stillers are awful at making decisions that lead to success.

I generally agree with this but i think the truth as always is somewhere in the middle

As I’ve said many times the jury is still out on KP. He showed flashes of promise but still had issues dating back to his earlier years at Pitt of locking in recovers and flushing the pocket too soon. Some of us in the give KP the benefit of the doubt camp think many of the issues relate to the crap OL. Moron OC and the general conservative nature of Tomlins offense. He played much better in the brief time he played without Canada which many of his detractors refuse to admit or acknowledge

For him to succeed here he needed more talent around him specifically a better OL (center and RT). A better coordinator and upgrades over Johnson and the third wr

Interestingly enough the same media that’s trashing KP is saying Wilson will need the same upgrades to be successful imagine that

So if the Steelers are able to plug those holes and Wilson is able to take advantage of those improvements Im sure the KP haters will pound their chests and claim they were right And just like Rudy benefiting from playing against shitty defenses without being handicapped by Canada it will be impossible to say if KP would have played as well.

Only time will tell if it was an upgrade or not. If and when KP gets another chance to start we’ll find out. That may be this year if Hurts gets hurt or it may be down the road.
They need olinemen and upgrades no matter who plays.

What’s funny is they went from someone who bails too soon to 2 guys who hold on the the ball too long.

But again no matter who it ended up being they need more talent around them.

And more people need to understand what you said about the middle. Can’t imagine KP is blameless.

And also understand it’s cutthroat. You think Belichick or Reid or anyone/any organization hasn’t lied to a player?

Tomlin responds to the locker room. Whether that's good or bad, the players didn't think they could win with Pickett. Otherwise, you wouldn't have team leaders recruiting Wilson and gushing over Omar's moves.

Yeah after 1 and half years, of Canada. But yeah, he will never be good. Buffalo wasnt stupid enough to give up on a young QB who struggle hus first few years. They helped the guy. Tomlin and the rest have no clue how to groom a young QB. MR and now KP.

But 36 or 38 year old Wilson, and a Fields who is no better than Mitch, Mason or Pickett makes the Steelers better on offense. We shall see. All I know is those numbers Wilson put up last year, did nothing to help his team win games. The real difference is he was allowed to throw the ball. KP was asked to not make mistakes and turn the ball over. He did that, and Tomlin make him out to be the goat. And you people wonder why the Steelers have not done anything since 2010?

Significantly upgrade their roster??? They don't even have a QB!! They got rid of the 2 decent QB's they had in Pickett and Rudolph and they now have 2 rejects from bad teams that no one else wanted. I was never a Stillers fan, but their incompetence and lying has gone beyond extreme limits and it's obvious they'll continue to be mediocre to very bad for the foreseeable future.

I tell ya - Steeler hater Pitt fans and Pitt hater Steeler fans are the worst. Unfortunately, the KP situation brought out both.

So many half truths in that commentary, but hey keep search for confirmation bias.

Just go all be Nitters or hoopies and root for the Browns too. You already know their formula.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
The franchise has toiled away in mediocrity for years. Apparently the powers that be have been told to embrace a sense of urgency. That can happen when a once proud franchise hasn't won a playoff game in nearly 10 years now. So it appears they are making some panick moves in an effort to win a playoff game and become relevant again. To me, they are just spinning their wheels trying to find lightning in a bottle.

Consider the quarterback position in the AFC. Right now there is Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Lawrence, and Herbert. These are 10-15 year studs barring injury. The Steelers were attempting to compete with that stable of QB's with Pickett and Rudolph. Now they have rolled the dice and are going to try an aged Russell Wilson and a athletic talent in Fields who hasn't shown he can read a defense after a few years in the league.

Does anyone really think these panick moves are going to help? Everyone knows you need a franchise QB to really compete in the NFL. The sooner the Steelers address this, the more likely they are to be relevant again. This franchise has clearly lost its way. They cannot afford to wait as long as they did to find Bradshaw's replacement, Big Ben. Through the 80's and 90's the managed to keep competitive by having a good defense. A good defense no longer can save you though, as the league has geared all the rules in favor of more offense.

I think the Rooney's and Omar and Tomlin really need to reevaluate how they are going about things. Maybe change needs to be made at head coach, but, I don't see that coming. They got two QB's that they are paying 4.2 million for, which is an incredible bargain. But is it really?? It doesn't address the need for a real franchise QB. They need to Wake up to the NFL in the 2020's, you can't win with defense anymore. Whether they are lying to players and assistant coaches doesn't really matter, they are lying to themselves in thinking they are on the right track.

Pickett hasn't "proven" anything other than the stillers are awful at making decisions that lead to success.
Drafting Pickett in the first was unfortunately one of those moves. Experts pegged the draft class was terrible for QBs and it's proven to be true after two seasons.

Yeah after 1 and half years, of Canada. But yeah, he will never be good. Buffalo wasnt stupid enough to give up on a young QB who struggle hus first few years. They helped the guy. Tomlin and the rest have no clue how to groom a young QB. MR and now KP.

But 36 or 38 year old Wilson, and a Fields who is no better than Mitch, Mason or Pickett makes the Steelers better on offense. We shall see. All I know is those numbers Wilson put up last year, did nothing to help his team win games. The real difference is he was allowed to throw the ball. KP was asked to not make mistakes and turn the ball over. He did that, and Tomlin make him out to be the goat. And you people wonder why the Steelers have not done anything since 2010?
I'll never claim the Steelers set Pickett up for success. Canada was NEVER going to be a successful NFL offensive coordinator. He shouldn't have been hired and after he was, he should've been fired after his first year. They investment in the offensive line wasn't ready and they should've leaned on the running game as Pickett stepped in and actually played to his strengths.

Even with all the hurdles, Pickett just didn't show enough flashes. Too many missed passes that were there. His weaknesses in college were fully exposed in the NFL and he didn't produce nearly enough points. Good players can overcome tough situations. Maybe the toughest thing for Pickett is the receivers lost faith in his ability. Granted, the attitude displayed from Johnson and Pickens was very poor, but if he gets them the ball it never becomes an issue. The making no mistakes excuse doesn't mean the QB doesn't throw TDs either. Tommy DeVito was more effect in that department.

If Pickett played anywhere but Pitt, no one on this board is nearly as critical trading Pickett.

I don't think Wilson or Fields are necessarily good, but it's a minimal investment with better odds of producing points on offense. Mason is career backup and Pickett can hopefully turn things around with a fresh start.

The Steelers haven't done anything since 2010 because they need a new HC and lately because Colbert's drafting at the end of his tenure was a disaster.

Absolutely, the Steelers have been chronic underachievers and very poor decision makers for many years, Tomlin and Rooney are horrible leaders with horrible plans and execution. Kenny is absolutely not the cause of any of it. That said, Kenny never really played well at all either.

Significantly upgrade their roster??? They don't even have a QB!! They got rid of the 2 decent QB's they had in Pickett and Rudolph and they now have 2 rejects from bad teams that no one else wanted. I was never a Stillers fan, but their incompetence and lying has gone beyond extreme limits and it's obvious they'll continue to be mediocre to very bad for the foreseeable future.
Wilson and Fields probably suck, but Pickett and Rudolph are also rejects from a bad team that nobody wanted.

Over the past 5 years? Umm…Wilson threw for 138 TDs and 43 Interceptions.

You say Russ and Fields haven’t done anything. What has Pickett done?
and 31 fumbles and 228 sacks (he led the NFL in sacks taken twice in the last 5 years) if we're being fair.

He is extremely boom/bust. You think 2 NFL franchises got it wrong on a 35 year old QB? I kind of think we're catching a falling knife. The only real plus here is that the knife was free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT