ADVERTISEMENT

The 2 most underrated guards in the Country (hold me to this)

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
I already said Carlton Carrington is the most disrespected underrated guard in the 2023 class. The fact two Uconn kids are ranked higher than Carrington in the rankings when the 3 of them played on the same darn AAU team and Carrington was the best player on the team by far the moment he took starter minutes in the 3rd session with by far the best stats and still couldn't crack a top 100 national ranking while the other 2 did and one of them barely average 6 per game. The disrespect is over now, the real games start in 3 days. Prove it....

Then there is Brandin Cummings. His brother put Pitt on the map. Brandin Cummings finished 5th in the EYBL in total scoring at 19 points per game and averaged 51% from the field, 38% from 3, with 4 rebounds per game and 1.5 assists per game. He is set to explode his senior season.

All off the bounce here, no catch and shoot non sense.

Some say EYBL stats dont matter. I say they do, big time. The 2 most disrespected guards in D1 year over year. Lets see here. The real games start in 3 days.... And some fools will bet against it, make that bet...

Last edited:
hate to be this guy but if Cummings does explode like vader predicts, any worries of the blue bloods coming in with offers and NIL money to change his mind?

hate to be this guy but if Cummings does explode like vader predicts, any worries of the blue bloods coming in with offers and NIL money to change his mind?
I think there’s always a chance of that- who knows what a 16/17/18 year old kid will do in the face of NIL promises, but you hope the relationship that Capel has built with the Cummings family will hold strong.

I also think having a solid season this year is also super important. Like if the team competes for another NCAA appearance, then future commits won’t let their mind naturally wander to other programs.

Doubt it, he will likely be signed before he starts to blow up, i believe November 8th he can sign and their is no reason to think he wont. If pitt lands amdy ndiaye soon i would expect him to sign early as well

He’s signing next week, it seems like both the kid and the family are fully bought in on Pitt and Capel. And I think the NIL is probably sufficient to prevent unexpected friction.

That's always a risk, but from what insiders report here, Pitt hoops is pretty darn competitive on the NIL front relative to football. When you add in the hometown factor and Nelly's good experiences, I feel more confident here than I did with Rowan or that other dude we lost around the same time whose name I can't remember.

That's always a risk, but from what insiders report here, Pitt hoops is pretty darn competitive on the NIL front relative to football. When you add in the hometown factor and Nelly's good experiences, I feel more confident here than I did with Rowan or that other dude we lost around the same time whose name I can't remember.
Speaking of NIL. I’d much rather go all the way hard in hoops.

Mustapha Heron?

Reactions: Ski11585

Definitely. Football at Pitt is a lost cause and basketball gives us much more reason for optimism. I'm not the biggest Capel fan, but I also am a Pitt fan. If Capel can get this team winning, so much the better. The coaching in Pitt football right now is abysmal. Let's get the hoops team to the top again.

I've been banging this drum for ages. Pitt will never compete with the elite programs in football. Going all in on hoops and they absolutely can be a top 25 mainstay.

He’s signing next week, it seems like both the kid and the family are fully bought in on Pitt and Capel. And I think the NIL is probably sufficient to prevent unexpected friction.
Yeah it seems like there is not a more pro Pitt family.

I already said Carlton Carrington is the most disrespected underrated guard in the 2023 class. The fact two Uconn kids are ranked higher than Carrington in the rankings when the 3 of them played on the same darn AAU team and Carrington was the best player on the team by far the moment he took starter minutes in the 3rd session with by far the best stats and still couldn't crack a top 100 national ranking while the other 2 did and one of them barely average 6 per game. The disrespect is over now, the real games start in 3 days. Prove it....

Then there is Brandin Cummings. His brother put Pitt on the map. Brandin Cummings finished 5th in the EYBL in total scoring at 19 points per game and averaged 51% from the field, 38% from 3, with 4 rebounds per game and 1.5 assists per game. He is set to explode his senior season.

All off the bounce here, no catch and shoot non sense.

Some say EYBL stats dont matter. I say they do, big time. The 2 most disrespected guards in D1 year over year. Lets see here. The real games start in 3 days.... And some fools will bet against it, make that bet...
I’d rather have them underrated as opposed to overrated !

Reactions: Vader_Storm
My understanding (what I was told) is that we are ok with NIL deals at the modest level we are now. But we are nowhere even close to have enough NIL dollars to compete at the highest levels.

My understanding (what I was told) is that we are ok with NIL deals at the modest level we are now. But we are nowhere even close to have enough NIL dollars to compete at the highest levels.

International players have way different NIL guidelines and restrictions which is saving us a lot. Our entire future frontcourt is all international with 2 guys from Spain, 2 from Senegal, and 1 from Finland.

I wouldn't expect Pitt to be anywhere near the top. I do think Pitt will pay a decent premium for very select guys they want including 2 in particular in 2025.

International players have way different NIL guidelines and restrictions which is saving us a lot. Our entire future frontcourt is all international with 2 guys from Spain, 2 from Senegal, and 1 from Finland.

I wouldn't expect Pitt to be anywhere near the top. I do think Pitt will pay a decent premium for very select guys they want including 2 in particular in 2025.
I hope so too, but the resources really aren’t there yet. Certainly not frm Alliance 412 at this point.

I hope so too, but the resources really aren’t there yet. Certainly not frm Alliance 412 at this point.

This came out on ACC media day from Jeff Capel. You may find Capel's words interesting in regards to what he says about NIL and Pitt and how it potentially helps Pitt in recruiting to level the playing field against more established programs. I certainly found it interesting.

Im not going to speculate (nor do I know) how high Pitt is willing to go for 1 or 2 guys we really want. But I think when the moment is right for the player we really want, the money will be found to try and get these players (to a certain extent to be competitive in NIL)

Ill leave it to someone like bballinsider to speculate how high Pitt will go for Meleek Thomas and Derek Dixon type players. I also certainly wouldn't bet against a school like Kansas should they decide to offer huge amounts of money for either of them.

This came out on ACC media day from Jeff Capel. You may find Capel's words interesting in regards to what he says about NIL and Pitt and how it potentially helps Pitt in recruiting to level the playing field against more established programs. I certainly found it interesting.

Im not going to speculate (nor do I know) how high Pitt is willing to go for 1 or 2 guys we really want. But I think when the moment is right for the player we really want, the money will be found to try and get these players (to a certain extent to be competitive in NIL)

Ill leave it to someone like bballinsider to speculate how high Pitt will go for Meleek Thomas and Derek Dixon type players. I also certainly wouldn't bet against a school like Kansas should they decide to offer huge amounts of money for either of them.

Thanks for sharing.

One thing I love about Capel is how candid he is and he really is precise with words. He doesn’t speak in cliches and seems to be extremely truthful.

His NIL comments were interesting. Judging by his NIL era recruiting- we are getting kids we want - and not losing kids to the portal

Brandin Cummings has now completely dropped out of the National Top 150 according to On3.

Amdy Ndiaye is ranked 213th in the country by On3. Ndiaye had 13 points and 7 rebounds in his game the other day in a blowout win for Putnam.

The last time a top EYBL scorer like Cummings that was completely disrespected in the high school rankings was Keyon Menifield who was a top 5 scorer in the EYBL. Menifield averaged 10 points per game as a freshmen for Washington before transferring to Arkansas. On3 had Menifield ranked 229th Nationally. Menifield was also one of the very few players that took it to Mintz in the EYBL as I watched it live.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Yea, Pitt isnt going to lose Cummings to NIL. We'll match and those blue bloods arent going to pay all that much for a kid like that even if he blows up when they can get premier proven transfers. If we lose Cummings, it would be for other reasons like maybe we go 11-20 this year or whatever and even then we he probably still comes

Brandin Cummings makes it official. Nice interview here and looking forward to watching him at Lincoln this year and at Pitt next year. He's going to the Pitt game Friday, lets see if Meleek Thomas joins as the two of them were at many Pitt games last year.

Following up on this.

Bub Carrington delivers for Pitt this year and people know the truth here regarding how underrated he was.

Brandin Cummings is averaging a whopping 30 points per game in the State Championship playoffs for Lincoln, which is currently the highest scoring total in the State of Pennsylvania. Cummings and Lincoln are trying to win back to back state championships.

Immediate impact coming in again next year with Cummings.

Cummings calls himself a dog after his domination last night in the State playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT