ADVERTISEMENT

The draft just got upended.

Wow. I guess they didn't learn from what Henry Ruggs did that killed a 23 year old woman and ruined his own life in the process.

Wow. I guess they didn't learn from what Henry Ruggs did that killed a 23 year old woman and ruined his own life in the process.
i'll see your Henry Ruggs and raise you a leonard little.

lots of people can be guilty of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated but to get a slap on the wrist and get a dui a few years later takes a very special kind of evil.

i'll see your Henry Ruggs and raise you a leonard little.

lots of people can be guilty of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated but to get a slap on the wrist and get a dui a few years later takes a very special kind of evil.
True. Making a mistake is one thing. But not learning the first time is a whole 'nother thing. I do think that DUI's are declining. The younger generations are more responsible and Uber helps things a good bit. But it is still way higher than we can or should accept as a society.

Reactions: pittdan77
True. Making a mistake is one thing. But not learning the first time is a whole 'nother thing. I do think that DUI's are declining. The younger generations are more responsible and Uber helps things a good bit. But it is still way higher than we can or should accept as a society.
dui's and road accident fatalities by intoxicated drivers has been declining steadily over the last 20 years. i think covid/shut downs might be a blip in the radar to that but leaving 2020-21 out of it, things look like they are at least trending in the right direction..

and yes, i have some nephews who live in college towns and these younger people seem to be smarter than us as far as using an uber vs driving home from the bars in your early 20s..

If he didn’t have the mistake before, this would be “one thing?” Not sure what that means.

However the number of people driving while high on weed and /or opioids is through the roof, as is distracted driving due to cell phones. There is no reliable field testing for those substances so officers have to make a judgment call and it often comes down to whether the person is visibly intoxicated. Traffic fatalities are way up since 2002.

I would argue that the roads have never been more unsafe than they are today. I certainly don't believe the younger drivers are more responsible on the road than they used to be--legal weed, cell phones and rampant texting while driving have ensured that.

However the number of people driving while high on weed and /or opioids is through the roof, as is distracted driving due to cell phones. There is no reliable field testing for those substances so officers have to make a judgment call and it often comes down to whether the person is visibly intoxicated. Traffic fatalities are way up since 2002.

I would argue that the roads have never been more unsafe than they are today. I certainly don't believe the younger drivers are more responsible on the road than they used to be--legal weed, cell phones and rampant texting while driving have ensured that.

I think people are just impatient a$$holes. Everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere, to the point where it's Eff Everyone Else. I would not be able to live and drive in the DC area simply for this reason.

I think the driver's test should be much harder. I don't care if you've been driving for 50 years or just started. And enforcement of speeding and reckless driving should be greatly enforced, until the driving culture is changed.

I remmebr as a teenage in PA, I went to (I think) Eastland Mall to get my drivers permit. One of the questions on the test was "What do you do if you see an ambulance coming behind you" and one of the multiple choice answers was "Follow it to see where it is going". I realized in that moment that the process was a farce.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Reading the details, Carter probably did himself a favor leaving the scene if he was drunk but based on this, he could still be in some trouble.
yeah, crazy to say but leaving was probably the right move. this will get either dropped or lowered, he'll be a top 3 pick and by summer, no one will even remember this.

I think people are just impatient a$$holes. Everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere, to the point where it's Eff Everyone Else. I would not be able to live and drive in the DC area simply for this reason.

I think the driver's test should be much harder. I don't care if you've been driving for 50 years or just started. And enforcement of speeding and reckless driving should be greatly enforced, until the driving culture is changed.
More drivers than ever and many of the roads weren't built for the traffic they get. You have a weird mix of people who drive too slowly and won't get over versus people who drive too fast. Add in the number of people who are distracted, impaired, or just can't drive very well, and you're going to have a lot of problems.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
yeah, crazy to say but leaving was probably the right move. this will get either dropped or lowered, he'll be a top 3 pick and by summer, no one will even remember this.
Hate to say it but I've seen people beat DUI's by getting the hell out of dodge. Guy out this way was drunk and nailed a motorcycle. Was really ugly. He took off but someone got his plate. Troopers found him sitting at his kitchen table doing shots. Claimed he panicked and was really upset. Nothing they could do but charge him for the accident and fleeing the scene. Both pretty minor in comparison to what he was facing.

Reading the details, Carter probably did himself a favor leaving the scene if he was drunk but based on this, he could still be in some trouble.
My first thought when I saw that he left the scene was "he had something in his car he needed to hide." I don't think an hour (he drove back to the scene later to answer questions) is gonna help with a breathalyzer if you're hammered... but it can help if you have a gun or some drugs on you.

Do the Cowboys or Raiders need a nose tackle? He won't make it past them.

Hate to say it but I've seen people beat DUI's by getting the hell out of dodge. Guy out this way was drunk and nailed a motorcycle. Was really ugly. He took off but someone got his plate. Troopers found him sitting at his kitchen table doing shots. Claimed he panicked and was really upset. Nothing they could do but charge him for the accident and fleeing the scene. Both pretty minor in comparison to what he was facing.
worked for ted kennedy.

And we will see more of this as these teenagers become NIL rich and even more fast cars and fast life.

Christ, in the NHL when they bring a kid in at 18 years old to play with the big club (which is rarer than you think) they always put him in with a family. In college, they are just on their own with peers. At least before they weren't millionaires.

And we will see more of this as these teenagers become NIL rich and even more fast cars and fast life.

Christ, in the NHL when they bring a kid in at 18 years old to play with the big club (which is rarer than you think) they always put him in with a family. In college, they are just on their own with peers. At least before they weren't millionaires.
jagr lived with a family i knew in pittsburgh for a year, they lived in upper st clair and went to my church. thought that was weird cause he was 18 or 19 i believe.

The car that crashed was an Edmund's finalist for best family SUV and owned by the university and driven by a staffer.

As far as the NFL is concerned - this is a nothing burger. He wasn't responsible or involved with the accident. Leaving the scene and lying about it is not cool and shows lack of character, but in the grand scheme - this won't move needle at all for teams needing his talent.

Hard to imagine that the dude was driving drunk and recklessley, involed in a deadly accident (the other vehicle) and he left the scene, and it won't matter much.

We live in a messed up world.

Reactions: 303vND
Lane Kiffin and the Lexus.

Raw fatalities are higher because there are way more drivers now than 2002. Probably tens of millions more.

Fatalities per 100 million miles driven are relatively steady, at least here in GA. 1.13 in 2011 and 1.12 in 2019 (it's higher in 2020 but I'm excluding that bc COVID took the total number of miles driven way down).

Interestingly, fatalities per mile are up in rural areas but down in urban areas. And that is despite pedestrian and bicyclist fatalities being up. I think the observation there is just it's easier to kill in a car when you're driving fast.

I do think distracted driving is a major problem. I think we need to start levying pretty severe punishment and social ostracism to people who use their phone and drive, similar to what we did with drunk driving.

Our legal system was built to mostly protect the innocent, and unfortunately those fundamental protections can be exploited by the extremely guilty.

More drivers than ever and many of the roads weren't built for the traffic they get. You have a weird mix of people who drive too slowly and won't get over versus people who drive too fast. Add in the number of people who are distracted, impaired, or just can't drive very well, and you're going to have a lot of problems.

Vehicles, especially trucks, are also way bigger now. The average pickup truck is about 15% taller and 32% heavier than 1990. So they have much bigger blind spots and they're harder to operate safely since you see less and take way longer to stop.

People also operate them like menaces because they're the fake alpha males that need a big truck to feel masculine. I typically go 70-80mph on the main highways down here in GA and I have F-150s shoot by me going 90mph+ every single day. We're moving offices in June and I'm going to start riding my bike since it's less than a mile on the road and 2 miles on a bike path. My wife is all upset about it and I'm like, hey at least I won't get smashed by a Ford Raptor going 95mph in the rain on GA-400.

Vehicles, especially trucks, are also way bigger now. The average pickup truck is about 15% taller and 32% heavier than 1990. So they have much bigger blind spots and they're harder to operate safely since you see less and take way longer to stop.

People also operate them like menaces because they're the fake alpha males that need a big truck to feel masculine. I typically go 70-80mph on the main highways down here in GA and I have F-150s shoot by me going 90mph+ every single day. We're moving offices in June and I'm going to start riding my bike since it's less than a mile on the road and 2 miles on a bike path. My wife is all upset about it and I'm like, hey at least I won't get smashed by a Ford Raptor going 95mph in the rain on GA-400.

I actually don't mind people going fast (within reason), but it's the dolts that drive fast and agressively. If a driver is goin 70 in the left lane (in a 65) and some dolt is on their a$$ going 90 while the driver has not had time to react yet, then those dolts need to go. Send them to that new gang prison in South America!

I actually don't mind people going fast (within reason), but it's the dolts that drive fast and agressively. If a driver is goin 70 in the left lane (in a 65) and some dolt is on their a$$ going 90 while the driver has not had time to react yet, then those dolts need to go. Send them to that new gang prison in South America!
Drive in the right, pass in the left. drove back from ohio last weekend and amazing how many people just fail to understand this simple concept..

i do get frustrated with the macho tough guys in the trucks driving crazy in snow and complaining about people no knowing how to drive in the snow. it's snow, its wet and slippery, so people drive slower. it's not a hard thing to understand..

Way less fatalities now than in the past. Around 32K per year over the past 10-15 years. It was almost double that in the 50's-60's. Drunk driving is way down but the biggest reasons are safer cars and better designed/built roads. In 2019, fatalities went up for the 1st time ever. Cell phones were the obvious reason.

Drive in the right, pass in the left. drove back from ohio last weekend and amazing how many people just fail to understand this simple concept..
Number one cause of road rage, and completely avoidable if those in the left lane would follow simple etiquette, and not be rude.

We need to follow Germany's lead, and arrest those who drive in the left lane.

Number one cause of road rage, and completely avoidable if those in the left lane would follow simple etiquette, and not be rude.

i feel like more states are making this a law, punishable by a ticket. no clue if they are being enforced though.. i do my part by passing them on the right and making eye contact and slowly shaking my head at them. maybe they notice it and feel shamed, doubt it but it makes me feel better..

One thing i have absolutely noticed is cops giving out tickets to anyone on the highway who dont get over to the left lane if a cop pulled someone over. i know someone that got a ticket for that in NY state. i know it's common courtesy to do so but a ticket seems overboard to me.

In Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey and Washington, on any highway with three or more lanes, the left-most lane is dedicated to passing ONLY. In those states, drivers must remain in the right lanes except for passing, regardless of how many lanes of traffic are available, except when obeying “Move Over” laws enacted to help avoid collisions with emergency vehicles stopped in the breakdown lane.

In Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Illinois, it’s illegal to fail to move to the right if a vehicle behind you is attempting to pass. However, in states like Colorado and Kentucky, that’s only true when the highway speed is 65 miles per hour or higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Sure, but people need to understand that just because the car in front of them is the left lane is going slower, that it doesn't mean they also aren't passing. "Pass in the left lane" isn't some carte blanche thing that gives people the right to drive like a clown at whatever speed they desire.

Sure, but people need to understand that just because the car in front of them is the left lane is going slower, that it doesn't mean they also aren't passing. "Pass in the left lane" isn't some carte blanche thing that gives people the right to drive like a clown at whatever speed they desire.
It’s pretty simple. If there’s no car to the direct right of them, they aren’t passing.

i feel like more states are making this a law, punishable by a ticket. no clue if they are being enforced though.. i do my part by passing them on the right and making eye contact and slowly shaking my head at them. maybe they notice it and feel shamed, doubt it but it makes me feel better..

One thing i have absolutely noticed is cops giving out tickets to anyone on the highway who dont get over to the left lane if a cop pulled someone over. i know someone that got a ticket for that in NY state. i know it's common courtesy to do so but a ticket seems overboard to me.

In Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey and Washington, on any highway with three or more lanes, the left-most lane is dedicated to passing ONLY. In those states, drivers must remain in the right lanes except for passing, regardless of how many lanes of traffic are available, except when obeying “Move Over” laws enacted to help avoid collisions with emergency vehicles stopped in the breakdown lane.

In Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Illinois, it’s illegal to fail to move to the right if a vehicle behind you is attempting to pass. However, in states like Colorado and Kentucky, that’s only true when the highway speed is 65 miles per hour or higher.

NC law is enforced where you have to move over when an emergency vehicle is on the berm. Police; fire; ambulance; ect.

It’s pretty simple. If there’s no car to the direct right of them, they aren’t passing.

Nope. If I'm going 65 and passing those going under that, then I would need 6-7 car lengths to merge over safely. If Jimmy Mcdipsh*t comes up to my tail at 95, and I can't merge over properly, then I slow down to match the car's speed to my right. Jimmy eventually gets the message.

Nope. If I'm going 65 and passing those going under that, then I would need 6-7 car lengths to merge over safely. If Jimmy Mcdipsh*t comes up to my tail at 95, and I can't merge over properly, then I slow down to match the car's speed to my right. Jimmy eventually gets the message.
Good luck trying to police speeders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT