ADVERTISEMENT

This Business About 3 Divions in the ACC

topdecktiger

Senior
Mar 29, 2011
There was an interview with John Swofford posted on Florida St's page today. It covered several topics, but I was most interested in the comments on the division alignment. Swofford was asked about the rumor of 3 divisions, and the progress of the deregulation petition. He said:

Number one, I don't know where the three-division thing came from. I'm not sure, because that's not even something we've discussed in recent years. Years ago it came up very briefly and didn't get any legs at all. So let me clarify that right off the bat. In our most recent conversations about divisions, the majority of our schools continue to prefer having divisions and having the divisions as they currently exist.

A lot of people have taken our support of that to mean we would change what we are doing now, and while I guess that's a reasonable first interpretation of our support of it, that's really not accurate.

But right now, regardless of whether that comes about or doesn't, the majority of our athletic directors continue to prefer divisions.

The one thing we do continue to look at is the crossover scheduling in the rotation of teams that you play outside of your division, and whether there's a better way to do that so that our teams that are in separate divisions are playing each other more often beyond the one school that they play every year - the way Florida State plays Miami every year. Because there is a desire to see the other schools more frequently, and that's the goal of those discussions. But there are some rivalry games and traditional games that need to be maintained, such as Florida State and Miami and N.C. State and North Carolina. So we continue to look at that and discuss that for the future, with the assumption at least at this point in time that we would remain with two divisions, and those divisions being as they currently exist. Which as I said, is the preference of the majority of our athletic directors.

The key takeaway is that the majority of the conference supports the divisions, and the underlying motive behind deregulation has been about scheduling, not the CCG.

Link

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

There was an interview with John Swofford posted on Florida St's page today. It covered several topics, but I was most interested in the comments on the division alignment. Swofford was asked about the rumor of 3 divisions, and the progress of the deregulation petition. He said:

Number one, I don't know where the three-division thing came from. I'm not sure, because that's not even something we've discussed in recent years. Years ago it came up very briefly and didn't get any legs at all. So let me clarify that right off the bat. In our most recent conversations about divisions, the majority of our schools continue to prefer having divisions and having the divisions as they currently exist.

A lot of people have taken our support of that to mean we would change what we are doing now, and while I guess that's a reasonable first interpretation of our support of it, that's really not accurate.

But right now, regardless of whether that comes about or doesn't, the majority of our athletic directors continue to prefer divisions.

The one thing we do continue to look at is the crossover scheduling in the rotation of teams that you play outside of your division, and whether there's a better way to do that so that our teams that are in separate divisions are playing each other more often beyond the one school that they play every year - the way Florida State plays Miami every year. Because there is a desire to see the other schools more frequently, and that's the goal of those discussions. But there are some rivalry games and traditional games that need to be maintained, such as Florida State and Miami and N.C. State and North Carolina. So we continue to look at that and discuss that for the future, with the assumption at least at this point in time that we would remain with two divisions, and those divisions being as they currently exist. Which as I said, is the preference of the majority of our athletic directors.

The key takeaway is that the majority of the conference supports the divisions, and the underlying motive behind deregulation has been about scheduling, not the CCG.
Well, I hope if they continue with just 2 divisions there is a way to "cross over" more frequently. Not sure what that answer is, but looking at the AD's, it appears that is beneath my pay grade.
wink.r191677.gif
Hopefully they can come up with something better.

The 3 div thing came from Bowlsby's imagination. It seems most of this jibberish comes from the B12 in some way or fsu trustees who are never happy and spout off in public whining about everything.

Originally posted by pitt-girl:

Well, I hope if they continue with just 2 divisions there is a way to "cross over" more frequently. Not sure what that answer is, but looking at the AD's, it appears that is beneath my pay grade.
wink.r191677.gif

On solution is easy. Play teams as OOC games, like North Carolina and Wake Forest are doing. It actually wouldn't be a bad idea. You'd be better off with an extra game against Virginia, NC State, Wake Forest, or even Florida ST, than another pushover mid-major or AA team. For some reason, a lot of people freak out at the idea of a conference team considered an OOC game.

There is a way to keep 2 division and play everyone more often, by rotating certain teams between divisions over a given cycle. However, since the schools mostly want to keep the divisions as they are, that would preclude any rotating.

wink.r191677.gif
Wait, should I have said above my pay grade vs. below? My point was these guys (AD's) are supposed to know how to handle these issues and playing some teams once every 8 years is dumb, dumb, dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT