ADVERTISEMENT

This Is Actually Sad

He can tank another season and get paid to get fired.
If I had a big buyout to get fired, there would be carnage at work on Monday. I'd be daring them to fire me. My work would go full on Pitt offense 2023. Uh....wait... maybe Duzz is actually a genius!
Do you really believe that Narduzzi intentionally "tanked" a season?

Do you really believe that Narduzzi intentionally "tanked" a season?
That's one explanation. The other explanation is that he is an absolutely horrible head coach who trotted out 2 QBs incapable of playing at this level. One QB was so bad he couldn't even throw interceptions because the throws were so off mark. The other was great at throwing interceptions. Pitt couldn't even punt!
So going into the 2024 season, the starting QB is the guy that HCPN thought was worse than those two guys. And look who the incumbent punter is.
So yeah, he either tanked it or he is a terrible head coach in the modern era of CFB. The modern era started in 2022. 2021 is a distant memory at this point. But it doesn't matter to him, because he's getting paid no matter what happens.

That's one explanation. The other explanation is that he is an absolutely horrible head coach who trotted out 2 QBs incapable of playing at this level. One QB was so bad he couldn't even throw interceptions because the throws were so off mark. The other was great at throwing interceptions. Pitt couldn't even punt!
So going into the 2024 season, the starting QB is the guy that HCPN thought was worse than those two guys. And look who the incumbent punter is.
So yeah, he either tanked it or he is a terrible head coach in the modern era of CFB. The modern era started in 2022. 2021 is a distant memory at this point. But it doesn't matter to him, because he's getting paid no matter what happens.
In other words, money matter to him more than pride or legacy in your mind.

I couldn't disagree more.

In other words, money matter to him more than pride or legacy in your mind.

I couldn't disagree more.
I didn't say that. Legacy may mean a lot to him. And in the words or the great orator himself "Pride comes before da fall!".
I really don't care what motivates him. He works in a results oriented business. Intentions do not matter, only results.
His HC record is 65-50. He openly scorned Matt Canada. He pushed Mark Whipple out. HCPN's record without those two guys is 30-32.
If he were truly motivated by pride, he would return some of that salary money.
He may not have intentionally tanked the 2023 season, but he could not have done it better if he was trying. I fear that 2024 is going to be similar to 2023. What position groups are going to be better in 2024 than 2023? Is the coaching staff in 2024 better than in 2023?
I'll hang up and await your answer.

I didn't say that. Legacy may mean a lot to him. And in the words or the great orator himself "Pride comes before da fall!".
I really don't care what motivates him. He works in a results oriented business. Intentions do not matter, only results.
His HC record is 65-50. He openly scorned Matt Canada. He pushed Mark Whipple out. HCPN's record without those two guys is 30-32.
If he were truly motivated by pride, he would return some of that salary money.
He may not have intentionally tanked the 2023 season, but he could not have done it better if he was trying. I fear that 2024 is going to be similar to 2023. What position groups are going to be better in 2024 than 2023? Is the coaching staff in 2024 better than in 2023?
I'll hang up and await your answer.
You didn't say that ... and then you said it again.

I have no response beyond that other than to say I think that you and others are underestimating this team due to a disdain for Narduzzi.

You didn't say that ... and then you said it again.

I have no response beyond that other than to say I think that you and others are underestimating this team due to a disdain for Narduzzi.
Yep. You're right as usual. Alabama wanted Narduzzi to replace Saban and Pantherlair donors stepped up to keep him.
Build a statue.

Has any coach that has allegedly taken a demotion to not have to deal with NIL, not been on the hot seat when they took it?

I can’t think of a single one. Getting out ahead of getting fired is a good career strategy.
So Chip Kelly could not have gotten another HC job?

So Chip Kelly could not have gotten another HC job?

He probably could have. But he was on his way to being fired.

And I don’t think he’d be offered a job at an upper tier program again. At a time where most major programs are putting a premium on CEO Recruiters, the guy that has let it be known for a while that he doesn’t like doing any of that, isn’t going to be at the top of anybody’s board.

I left a firm and started my own firm 20 years ago and it was the best move I ever could have made personally, financially and professionally. My wife, who left Big Law after we had our second daughter, is also self-employed with a niche transactional practice working as much or as little as she likes from the comforts of her home office. We never miss a soccer game, a track meet, an opportunity to volunteer or chaperone, or anything else we really want to do.
I don't disagree with any of what you said in this post until your last sentence. The disagreement is that practicing at a Big Law firm is somehow akin to making 6 mill a year to coach a college football team. It isn't, from a stress, time, pressure or income perspective. Not even close. With very few exceptions, big law senior associates and partners make far less and work far harder and under far more stressful conditions than Pat Narduzzi does coaching football at Pitt. And there is no "fun" or rewarding element to what big firm lawyers do--none. Coaching football and mentoring college aged players is extremely fulfilling and there's a lot of joy in it. If you don't understand that, I'd say it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Sorry counselor, you ain't winning this one. Clerk, call the next case.
What's abundantly clear from all your yapping is that money is the determining factor in your decision making. Not everyone thinks like you....just saying.

Reactions: NCPitt
He probably could have. But he was on his way to being fired.

And I don’t think he’d be offered a job at an upper tier program again. At a time where most major programs are putting a premium on CEO Recruiters, the guy that has let it be known for a while that he doesn’t like doing any of that, isn’t going to be at the top of anybody’s board.
There is no probably. He could have a job at many schools if he chose to.

There is no probably. He could have a job at many schools if he chose to.

Sure. Lots of lower P4 teams and G5 teams would love to have him.

But then everything he has always hated about college football, would become that much more difficult.

The best way to not end up with that kind of job is to not stick around and get fired at UCLA.

That's a lot of words to say that your familiarity with the subject matter is entirely second hand and 20+ years old.

Think you can sit this one out.
Please, enlighten me as to what subject matter related to the industry I’ve been an active and engaged member of for 30 years that I’m unfamiliar with.

His handling of the QB position was shameful. Almost so bad that it necessitated a personal apology to the fanbase. Their 3rd string QB is apparently so good that the new OC, who has no allegiance to him named him the starter without even a competition vs Cignetti's PSU transfer and the Bama transfer. How can Bell think Yarnell is so good that there's not even a competition but Cignetti thought he was 3rd best behind a kid who had the yips and the PSU dude?

Narduzzi is responsible for the whole team and last year was one of the worst, if not the absolute worst coaching job in Pitt history. 3-9 vs that schedule is disgraceful.

His handling of the QB position was shameful. Almost so bad that it necessitated a personal apology to the fanbase. Their 3rd string QB is apparently so good that the new OC, who has no allegiance to him named him the starter without even a competition vs Cignetti's PSU transfer and the Bama transfer. How can Bell think Yarnell is so good that there's not even a competition but Cignetti thought he was 3rd best behind a kid who had the yips and the PSU dude?

Narduzzi is responsible for the whole team and last year was one of the worst, if not the absolute worst coaching job in Pitt history. 3-9 vs that schedule is disgraceful.
Great post! Just curious what are the tips exactly. Never heard that term before but somehow it seems fitting.

Sure. Lots of lower P4 teams and G5 teams would love to have him.

But then everything he has always hated about college football, would become that much more difficult.

The best way to not end up with that kind of job is to not stick around and get fired at UCLA.
He could have many P4 jobs if he chose. Fired coaches get hired elsewhere all the time.

Jurkovec had the yips. He really was a decent QB at BC and was appearing in mock drafts.

PJ’s physical talent was completely sapped by the time he got to Pitt.

But he was never particularly good at BC. He graded out as one of the dumbest QBs in all of college football even at BC.

He just had so much physical talent that people projected him high if the light came on and he had a more normal mental progression. But he never did. Which is why he graded as one of the 5 worst QBs from the pocket in *all* of college football while at BC. The game never slowed down for him mentally, so if he had to make reads and play within the structure of the offense, he was horrible every year at BC.

Which is the craziest part about bringing him in and why it was obvious it was going to be a disaster from Day 1. He brought in a guy that never had success running the offense, to fix the offense.

PJ’s physical talent was completely sapped by the time he got to Pitt.

But he was never particularly good at BC. He graded out as one of the dumbest QBs in all of college football even at BC.

He just had so much physical talent that people projected him high if the light came on and he had a more normal mental progression. But he never did. Which is why he graded as one of the 5 worst QBs from the pocket in *all* of college football while at BC. The game never slowed down for him mentally, so if he had to make reads and play within the structure of the offense, he was horrible every year at BC.

Which is the craziest part about bringing him in and why it was obvious it was going to be a disaster from Day 1. He brought in a guy that never had success running the offense, to fix the offense.

Hate to say this about a guy, but he didnt sound intelligent at all in his media interviews. That said, I dont think that was his major problem. He simply couldn't throw the ball accurately.....because of the yips.

I'm honestly not sure we'd ever know because he isn't the type to leak it if they did. All I'll say is Pat is far from perfect but what he gets out of his teams most years is pretty good. We and many other programs could do a lot worse that Narduzzi....just saying.
Of course he’d leak it
You think the raise and extension was for vibes ?
Stop it

Now we’d be lucky to have someone poach him

Of course he’d leak it
Stop it

You seem to be confused again. The subject of leaking was Kelly, not Narduzzi.

Sit this one out until you learn to read.

Of course he’d leak it
Stop it

Not really sure where you shaped your perception of Pat Narduzzi but he is an old school dude. He believes in loyalty, commitment, and development. He is a man that will teach young men how to be accountable. You are entitled to your opinion, but as I previously stated our perception of the type of man he is greatly conflicts. He is stubborn, set in his ways often, and doesn't always speak tactfully. He typically speaks from his heart and forgets to filter. That being said he has a championship in this town. Who TF can say that in the past five years other than the Pitt Volleyball team?

Last edited:
Not really sure where you shaped your perception of Pat Narduzzi but he is an old school dude. He believes in loyalty, commitment, and development. He is a man that will teach young men how to be accountable. You are entitled to your opinion, but as I previously stated our perception of the type of man he is greatly conflicts. He is stubborn, set in his ways often, and doesn't always speak tactfully. He typically speaks from his heart and forgets to filter. That being said he has a championship in this town. Who TF can say that in the past five years other than the Pitt Volleyball team?
I completely agree about the type of man he is. Unfortunately loyalty, commitment and development aren't a winning formula in the unlimited transfer for NIL era of CFB.
I think it is really sad, as three years ago he was perfect for Pitt. The game has changed so much since then that I don't think it's a winning formula for Pitt anymore. I think this reality probably upsets him greatly.

Hate to say this about a guy, but he didnt sound intelligent at all in his media interviews. That said, I dont think that was his major problem. He simply couldn't throw the ball accurately.....because of the yips.
The "yips" don't explain his inability to execute a basic spiral. I never saw him play enough prior to Pitt to know, but how did he throw it when he was in peak health? The only explanation I can come up with for how he was able to play 6 years of major college football without being able to spin the ball was that his grip and/or throwing mechanics changed due to injury. Every ball he threw at Pitt last year fluttered right out of his hand.

What a disastrous move to bring Jurk and Cignetti in and turn the offense over to them.

The "yips" don't explain his inability to execute a basic spiral. I never saw him play enough prior to Pitt to know, but how did he throw it when he was in peak health? The only explanation I can come up with for how he was able to play 6 years of major college football without being able to spin the ball was that his grip and/or throwing mechanics changed due to injury. Every ball he threw at Pitt last year fluttered right out of his hand.

What a disastrous move to bring Jurk and Cignetti in and turn the offense over to them.

I watched him and Veilleaux closely durijg warmups one game. Jurkovec threw with a noticeable wobble. CV threw a perfect spiral. That said, I dont think Jurkovec's wobble ball caused his inaccuracy. He had a good 1st year at BC and his second year they had walk-ons playing OL so it was a waste. You dont go from being a decent QB at BC to being the worst QB in Pitt, and maybe D1 history without good reason. It was the yips.

I completely agree about the type of man he is. Unfortunately loyalty, commitment and development aren't a winning formula in the unlimited transfer for NIL era of CFB.
I think it is really sad, as three years ago he was perfect for Pitt. The game has changed so much since then that I don't think it's a winning formula for Pitt anymore. I think this reality probably upsets him greatly.
You make it sound as though he was just killing it before NIL and free transfers. He had one really good season.

If you like 7-8 wins and a minor bowl game, he's your guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT