ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on spring game...

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
--Maybe it's a good omen that we get a beautiful day for Coach Duzzi's first spring game.

--First half had some excitement, but the second half was more of your typical spring game.

--Bertke can throw it, but his inexperience was evident, I thought. Made some nice throws; made some nifty side arm throws to get balls around a defender on screens.

--We ran a couple of nice screen passes - hope to see more of those...

--Ollison had a couple of strong, punishing-type runs. He looks promising. Chris James ran well too.

--Some of the connections between Voytik and TB were impressive - both the throws and the catches. Nice back shoulder stuff, and on one of them, Tyler actually had time to turn to the outside to catch the ball. Nifty.

--Was actually hoping to see more from Challingsworth and Zeise. Still look like a ways to go for them to my eye, but Dontez Ford looks like a player to me.

--Still struggling to get the ball to the tight ends - though Holtz was targeted a few times.

--The outside backers seemed to be crashing the line a lot and disrupting plays in the backfield. Bam and Grigsby.

--Tyrique Jarrett made some plays, but he was going against guys down the depth chart a lot. Still, he looks promising - he was in the backfield a few times.

--Middle of the DL looks stout, but the DEs still don't impress. Also didn't see anything from the MLBs to jump up and down about.

--Ejuan Price made a TFL, but he looks kind of small at DE and he had two knee braces on.

--Jester Weah can fly, but still struggles to get into position to catch the ball. I watched him on one play where he ran right by Briggs but couldn't hold onto the ball - although the ball was underthrown and Briggs was able to slap at the ball.

--Looks like our DBs are going to be much more aggressive with their hands as the ball is arriving. Several times today passes were broken up at the last second - or a drop was induced - by the aggressive play of the DBs.

--Too bad Avonte Maddox isn't a little bit bigger - he could be a real stud. Even at his size, he looks like a player.

--Chris Blewitt's 55-yarder was with the wind, but still an impressive kick. Would have been good from 65.

--Nice to see Shady McCoy and Curtis Martin at the game. Jimbo Covert and Rod Rutherford too. Coach Duzz took Shady's little son out on the field during the game. The kid looked like he was having a good time.

--A tip of the hat to James Conner. Although he didn't play much, he was constantly encouraging and congratulating his teammates. I guess he could taste the lobster...

--Nice to see a good turnout. Great idea to give out the T-shirts.

Go Pitt.

This post was edited on 4/18 6:05 PM by MajorMajors

That was cool seeing Duz out there coaching with Shady jr. on his shoulders.

Did anyone else see the PITT players give their gloves to the kids from Hazlewood ? An hour after on my way to get the stroller the kids were still talking about the gloves, that is cool !

Re: Thoughts On Spring Game...Jerry DiPaola LINKS!

Jerry does another great job in giving good feedback, especially since Coach Pat has closed Practices and said, Nobody will know anything about his Staff, Team, and Players. I really like a Coach that make sure Players and Others keep the other Teams guessing by remaining quiet. Looking forward to Zeise and Chris Peak's Radio thoughts and Posters as well.

Article (Highlights), My Comments, & Link

Final thoughts and some numbers from Pitt's spring game
April 19, 2015 by Jerry DiPaola

After several hours to think about Pitt's Blue-Gold spring game Saturday - what occurred and what it means - here are my takes:

- I thought quarterback Chad Voytik threw the ball well. He completed only 11 of 24 passes for 177 yards, but receivers dropped at least two passes that would have pushed him over 200 yards. His balls had zip, and he played with confidence - even though he's only had three months and 15 live sessions to learn the new offense.

- I think Voytik to Tyler Boyd will be one of the best pitch-and-catch combinations in the ACC this year.

- James Conner has a sore shoulder and didn't play past the midway point of the second quarter. Yet, when he was in there, he didn't come off the field, blocking in pass protection and gaining 13 yards on a pass play when the defense seemed to have him cornered.- Conner is as courageous and selfless as any Pitt player in the past five seasons. His shoulder needs rest. Summer is coming at the right time for him. (I Like How They Did It Last Year Because It Kept Conners Healthy And Ready All Season Long, Staying Healthy Is Just As Important As Playing Great Every Down)

- Cornerback Avonte Maddox may have been the best cornerback this spring. At 5-foot-9, 165 pounds, he's unafraid to mix it up with guys who stand over him and have him by about 30 pounds. Pitt has needed toughness on defense for a long time. Maddox could help bring it. (When Jordan Whithead Arrives And Becomes Familiar With The Defense Will Help As Well)

- Nose guard Tyrique Jarrett, an Allderdice grad, is an intimidating force at 6-3, 335 (his listed weight). He still needs to prove he can do it against ACC opponents, but he led the Gold team with six tackles, three for a loss. There is a short list of City League graduates who have made an impact at Pitt (Curtis Martin and Rod Rutherford come to mind and both were in Highmark Stadium on Saturday), and Jarrett may join them before the end of the season. (I Really Think Those Recruits That Left Pitt The Last Week Made A Huge Mistake Because They Would Be Playing Sooner At Pitt On Defense.)

- Did anyone notice that tight ends J.P. Holtz and Scott Orndoff had no catches? At 6-5, 260, Orndoff is a nice target and Holtz has sure hands. Maybe I need to watch video with coaches to figure out why they were ignored, but I'm guessing offensive coordinator Jim Chaney has plans for both of them later this year. (This Is Where Pitt Can Work On Third Downs Instead Of Putting In Conners All The Times, If The Tight Ends Can Be Used, This Offense Will Be Even Better)

- I was glad to hear coach Pat Narduzzi say he wants to bring the spring game back to Heinz Field. Highmark is a nice place, but the game belongs at Heinz where the Panthers play.

Here are a few numbers compiled by Pitt's stat crew:
Gold rushing (carries/yards)
Rachid Ibrahim - 11/28
Chris James - 9/18
Blue rushing
Qadree Ollison - 20/54
James Conner - 5/11/1TD
Chad Voytik - 4/3 (Hope They Have Some Design Running Plays Ready As Well For Voytik, It Really Hurts The Defenses)
Comment: These numbers surprised me, but perhaps there really is something to Narduzzi saying he wants to stop the run.

Gold passing (Completions/attempts/interceptions/yards/sacks/TDs)
Adam Bertke - 14/30/1/162/1/1
Blue passing
Chad Voytik - 11/25/0/177/1/1
Comment: Pitt still has a ways to go in trying to build quarterback depth

Gold receiving - Catches/yards (Receptions/yards)
Zach Challingsworth - 4/79
Chris James - 3/34
Dontez Ford - 2/52
Rachid Ibrahim - 2/3
Blue receiving
Tyler Boyd - 6/112
Elijah Zeise - 1/26
Jaymar Parrish - 1/15
James Conner - 1/13
Jaquaun Davidson - 4 1/9
Comment: The wide receiver depth is better, but still not good enough. . (This Is Where Jordan Whitehead Could Be Used On First and Third Downs As Well Based On What His High School Coach Told Me?)

Gold defense
Tyrique Jarrett - 6 tackles, 3 for a loss
Terrish Webb - 5 tackles, 1 for a loss
Bam Bradley - 4 tackles, 3 for a loss
Avonte Maddox - 4 tackles, 2 for a loss, 1 sack
Jevonte Pitts - 4 tackles
Phillipie Motley - 3 tackles
Nicholas Grigsby - 2 tackles, 1 for a loss
James Folston - 2 tackles
Malik Henderson - 2 tackles
Darryl Render - 2 tackles, 1 for a loss
Blue defense
Reggie Mitchell - 6 tackles, 1 forced fumble
Ejuan Price - 4 tackles, 2 for a loss, 1 sack, 2 hurries
Oluwaseun Idowu - 4 tackles
George Aston - 4 tackles
Ryan Lewis - 4 tackles, 2 pass breakups
Justin Moody - 3 tackles, 1 for a loss
Comment: Keep an eye on Bradley and Price. They could be the playmakers Pitt needs on defense. (If I Am A recruit That Wants To Learn & Play Defense In College & NFL, I Would Consider Pitt Over All Other Programs)

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/college-locker-room/2015/04/19/final-thoughts-and-some-numbers-from-pitts-spring-game/#ixzz3Xje3gJbJ

images

This post was edited on 4/19 7:00 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: Thoughts On Spring Game...Jerry DiPaola LINKS!

I hate to be 'that guy', but Conners? Really? He was the ACC player of the year and Pitt fans can't get his name right.

Waiting in line to get in the stadium, I convinced my wife to get a shirt for me instead of herself .

My plan to get 2 XL shirts in both colors was foiled when my wife changed her mind and took a gold one instead of a blue we talked about. I now have 2 gold Team AD shirts…LOL

Pretty picky when my only complaint is the band / pep band was too small!

Great day for the Pitt Panther family and had a great time. Coach Duzz gets it and is very comfortable in the marketing side of the job.

H2P

This post was edited on 4/19 8:44 AM by 9nationalchampionships

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT