ADVERTISEMENT

Tired of the Pittsburgh PG Coverage

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004
Something positive first...thank you to the Paul Zeise poster who recognized the only sportswriter who has something objective to say when it is necessary, but also is at least positive on a subjective evaluation of Pitt sports.

Pitt knocked off the number 12 team in the country yesterday and I pulled up the PG website today and couldn't find an article. I know Zeiss was there and I am sure he wrote a column but there was barely anything on the win? In contrast, the trib had a decent writeup.

Granted, the football program hasn't done anything worthy of a glowing writeup, but the PG's derogatory columns do absolutely nothing for retaining the areas elite athletes. Yet Penn State, fresh off of the biggest character scandal in NCAA history followed by the hiring of a firey coach who oversaw players that were convicted in one of the biggest rape scandals, has been getting more and more press for their apparent resurrection from near death. Even if Pitt had stability, if the student athletes in the area considered Pitt, the PG would tell them otherwise.

This has been the trend of this newspaper for decades now. The only solution as a fan as I see it is to stop reading it. I am boycotting the PG and shifting entirely to the Trib. I'll listen to Zeise's radio show but I can't support a paper who doesn't see it necessary to support the hometown school. Pitt means more to this region than PSU ever will. Let Philly, Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley and Scranton write about the Branch State Collegians.

I haven't looked at a PG paper or website in years. Not giving Fitz a Heisman vote did it for me.

I get that people are annoyed by the P-G's less than transparent bias against Pitt--it largely does not matter--especially when it comes to recruiting. Considering the aging readership of newspapers in general--combined with shrinking percentage of people that read newspapers...very few people are really reading their drivel. When you also consider the shrinking circulation/territory of the P-G, it becomes even less important. You cannot even get the P-G where I grew up in Indiana, PA any more. Reading a print newspaper and listening to terrestial sports talk radio may be common among Lair posters....but trust me, it is not popular outside of the 'Burgh and surrounding hamlets. So bottom line, don't sweat it and only read and patronize the papers you enjoy. Hail to Pitt!

The article is there, but it's buried. Go to their website...click-on "Sports"...then click-on "Pitt".

The article is less that 24-hour old. It's a "feel good" story by THE HOME TEAM. It deserves to be headlined.

If the Nits did something similar, I have no doubt that it would be headlined for at least 48-hours.

They had the two prominent positions in todays' Sunday (print) edition in the PG. Including a positive column by Cook. There website design is just not the best.

Contrast that with the Pennsyltucky Trib Review who has a small article on the game, but a big page on NASCAR!!!

It is not an anti Pitt thing. It is just a poor webdesign.

The printed version of the PG had not one but TWO articles on page 1 of the sports page about the Pitt/NC game .... right at the top of the page ..... the game article by Zeise and an article by Cook..... maybe their web-site could be improved.

This is the hundredth time I've mentioned this to you Pittsburgh local yocals!

STOP FREAKIN BUYING THAT STUPID FISH WRAPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down Goat!

Call the paper, call the advertisers, call Pitt communications, Pitt should stop buying the paper if they do anywhere in the organization!

I live 300 miles away and you people are your worst ememies! Close the paper down by not buying their crappy product!

Go Pitt!

It took a while, but the PG has also discovered that the Pitt women's team is having a nice season. Couple of nice articles after recent wins and a feature-type article yesterday on Coach Suzie turning the program around "sooner than expected." These articles have included nice photos...

Once she gets the women's team to the NCAAs a couple of times, I have a feeling that Coach Suzie is going to become a media darling in the 'Burgh - in spite of her being associated with Pitt...

Go Pitt.

The original poster was NOT buying the paper. He was pissed because the FREE website didn't publish what he wanted published. If you're not paying for the content, which costs the paper salaries and overhead to publish, you have no right to bitch and demand that they publish your preferences.: And yes, the PG is involved in a compelling, lustful affair with The Cult.

Originally posted by perchance:
The original poster was NOT buying the paper. He was pissed because the FREE website didn't publish what he wanted published. If you're not paying for the content, which costs the paper salaries and overhead to publish, you have no right to bitch and demand that they publish your preferences.: And yes, the PG is involved in a compelling, lustful affair with The Cult.
You get the printed version the morning after the game and the articles were there.

The articles don't come up on the internet version immediately as it takes time to write them, edit them, get them printed, etc. but the Zeise game article and the Cook article were posted on the internet version at 12:03 AM and 12:00 AM respectively this morning ..... and they are not on the first page when you go to the internet version, you have to click on sports, then college sports to find them but the fact is that you could have seen them on the internet version before I got my morning printed edition.

Originally posted by MajorMajors:
It took a while, but the PG has also discovered that the Pitt women's team is having a nice season. Couple of nice articles after recent wins and a feature-type article yesterday on Coach Suzie turning the program around "sooner than expected." These articles have included nice photos...

Once she gets the women's team to the NCAAs a couple of times, I have a feeling that Coach Suzie is going to become a media darling in the 'Burgh - in spite of her being associated with Pitt...

Go Pitt.
I noticed that they had articles about the women's team recently and not just a paragraph or two.

You Pittsburghers are embarassing making excuses as to why you or other "burgers" buy and read the PG.

If it doesn't support Pitt sports stop buying it!

Two paragraphs about Pitt basketball? It should be pages showing Pitt people carrying Jamie on their shoulders in one of those 3rd world county king chairs!

Dump the PG!

Go Pitt!

I used to be very Pro Trib over the Gazette but in the last few years, I notice very little difference with the sports coverage.. obviously I like the Trib more, being someone that actually likes their country and not a liberal but as far as sports, I don't really see one being anymore Pro-pitt or pro-psu than the other one.. Both are really carbon copies of each other.. Basically the same articles in both..

Wow...liberals don't love their country??? This liberal served his country...can you say the same?

Originally posted by perchance:
I pay for the web-based content (out of towner) and I had the same problem...even going to the Pitt link on the mobile version, I couldn't find a single article on the game yesterday morning. The PG's website design is beyond pitiful. The only Pitt article was one about Pitt having a big opportunity vs NC. If I'm paying for the content, I should be able to find it.

This isn't the first time I've run into this issue. If you use their mobile version, you often find Pirates articles that are 4 days old at the top of the "latest news" tab.

Originally posted by goat123:

STOP FREAKIN BUYING THAT STUPID FISH WRAPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down Goat!

Call the paper, call the advertisers, call Pitt communications, Pitt should stop buying the paper if they do anywhere in the organization!

I live 300 miles away and you people are your worst ememies! Close the paper down by not buying their crappy product!

Go Pitt!
Yo, relax Rush. If you guys would read this thread you will find the OP was wrong. The PG has had much more coverage of Pitt basketball than the Pennsyltucky Trib Review who has gone rogue Nitter.

recruitsreadtheseboards posted on 2/16/2015...

Originally posted by goat123:

Calm down Goat!

Go Pitt!
Yo, relax Rush. If you guys would read this thread you will find the OP was wrong. The PG has had much more coverage of Pitt basketball than the Pennsyltucky Trib Review who has gone rogue Nitter.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

With half my brain tied behind my back and I can tell you both fishwrappers the PG and the Tribe aren't holding up their end regarding coverage of Pitt sports.

Don't worry the fishwrappers have had their day and won't be around much longer so by doing nothing local Pittsburghers your problem will go away on its own!

Its way more fun to torture and harass the fishwrappers like call the advertisers, cancel your subscriptions, etc.

Go Pitt!

Ped St sells papers!

People either worship the cult or like watching the deer on the train tracks with the train barreling down on it.

This post was edited on 2/27 6:54 AM by 9nationalchampionships

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT