ADVERTISEMENT

VT AD interview; mentions ACC Network

"topdecktiger, post: 183810, member: 3806"]Yes, it was. You can link all you want. It wasn't unexpected that it would take several months. There was already a timetable in place. The expansion committee was voted for at the end of 2003. They had a timetable to evaluate schools and the financial aspects. Then the formal presentation was scheduled for May or June (can't remember which), at which time the final vote to accept the recommended teams would be taken.
It was the Big East made the call to let Miami & VT out in 2003, so they could proceed with their own expansion not the ACC Expansion Committee and would have taken years not months. BC actually was not included at that time due to what i said, caused delays when UVA would not vote Yes without VT.

Since VT ws not part of the First Plan and wanted the Big East to stay together with Cuse & BC this caused a delay as well.

Finally, BC was invited but could not come until Big East Expansion would be implemented until 2005 to join, those years not weeks and months?

No, it wasn't. Duke and North Carolina were the only teams against expansion.
Nope, UVA would not Vote Yes until VT was admitted First even before Miami? Yes, Duke and UNC still voted No, but there was going to be no vote at all without UVA approval and that was never a simple matter and not part of the First Plan!

No, simply not true. The only thing that caused a problem was that Virginia switched to a no vote.
I said that is my Post that corrected your own.

That is what caused the change. Had Virginia remained a yes vote, then Virginia Tech never would have been taken. They still would have taken Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College. Syracuse didn't pull out. They got left out.
NOPE THAT DID NOT HAPPEN------UVA Said only Yes Vote if VT is included, that is what happen and I had in my post then you ever did! If UVA votes NO then the Links I posted clearly show there was not going to be any Expansion even Miami? Quit lying the Links have you Blinking instead of Thinking!

Oh, and this idea you keep pushing that Swofford was trying to kill the Big East is fiction. He wasn't trying to kill the Big East, and he wasn't trying to remove their BCS bid. He was simply trying to improve his conference.
1. Well, tell to Ivan Mansel Link and other Sports Writers & Economists they wrote it. Tell it to the Denver Consultant it was written in their Plan and tell it to yourself someday, now go read the Links that proved you were wrong!

2. In addition, the Expansion Plan without Cuse did not provide the money expected either and more proof Swofford was after Cuse not VT from the start!

3. Furthermore, when Swofford came back later for Cuse & Pitt that did wipe out the Big East and that is more proof I am right because Cuse was the First Plan.

4. When Miami was added to VT and UVA Division and nott put in with FSU Division that was because the Expansion Plan actually stated The ACC intended to have 2 Teams in 2 BCS Bowls as part of the increased money the Plan would add. UNC & Duke cited that was another reason why they voted against it.

5. If you were correct there was no reason to separate Miami from FSU except that both often went to BCS Bowls when one was in the ACC and the other in Big East? Both also were often in the Top Ten Rankings that could them to BCS Bowls an putting them in the same Division would make them tougher to put in two BCS Bowls. Do you need a LINK??? To be proven wrong again on that too?

6. Finally, The First Plan had Cuse expanding the ACC Footprint in the Top Third State New York and when Swoffod added PITT and Pennsylvania it was even larger and that really hurt the Big East too, and ended it as a Power Conference?

7. Now, I agree this would not just improve the ACC but Swofford sought to protect it from SEC & Big Ten Raiding as we know were on the move too. However, the First Plan was in error when VT replaced Cuse and Big East Expansion Football not only survived but passed ACC BCS Rankings and Ratings to renew its BCS Bid and Big East Basketball passed ACC in quality too. Swofford improved the ACC by adding Pitt, Cuse, ND (5 Games), and ULou all Big East FB & BB Teams, and destroyed the Big East Football as a P6 conference and created a bigger footprint more than any other Power Conference. There is no Big East Football today and the AAC is not a Power Conference.

Right, and what you say didn't happen. Nothing changed until UVA switched. That was the direct cause of the problem.
I said that in my Post and go back and read it and it was not simple as you said, since I linked how the VT President did not even want to join the ACC until Big East Schools refused to sign the Binding Agreement that was not in any Posts of yours before mind? My, post was far more accurate than anything you put up and my links backed me up, not you!

I don't doubt Syracuse had mixed feeling about leaving the Big East.
Hmmnnn, well you wer wrong, because VT President went to them first and asked them to stay and sign a Binding Agreement with BC too and all big East Schools, when they said no, the VT President straight to the Governor and the Attorney General and UVA President said NO VT NO YES VOTE, and that was not the First Plan that included Cuse, and did not enhance the Expansion Plan has much as Cue have done, and VT replaced Cuse as BC kept a double game in play, and that shows it was not simple as you claimed?

They didn't back out of the ACC bid. That's simply false.
I never said they did, I said they balked enough and Vt got Va & UVA behind them and my links back me and my first post on the subject better than your own.

UVA switched to a no vote unless Virginia Tech was taken.
Yep, just like First Post augmented and my links proved it was not a simple process as you kept crying like a baby about and all my other info way better than your own!

That caused the ACC to have to change plans, and they ended up taking Miami and Virginia Tech instead.
Let us be more specific just in my first post and replies to you,.....Nope Again, and you are just not detailed enough and accept it. The ACC Plans were only changed after the VT President first tried to save the Big East by trying to make sure CUSE & BC & Big East Schools except Miami would sign Binding Agreements not to leave the Big East. when they refused, VT ran to the VA Governor and UVA President and Attorney General and then and only then did the ACC vote in VT & Miami and BC still had to wait, and this makes my comments far more accurate than your simple wrong ones?

You Demanded Links, you Wanted Links and you got Links! Now go and sin no more and be crystal clear how much complicated it was under the words of VT University President that was far more involved than anything you posted, and I at least I kept and recalled what happen far more accurately than you ever did here?

:(:mad::confused:TDT:eek::oops:o_O
LINKS TO THINK
:):cool::pCSR:D:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
1. Dr. Shalala did earn her PH.D from Syracuse and Syracuse would be a great fit for ACC Basketball? :(That Looks To Be Oompa On Your Part?:eek:
Didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT!

2. Also, Syracuse was a founding member of the Big East and part of the Expansion Plan was to remove the Big East as a BCS Bowl Bid Conference so it would be easier for the ACC to get 2 Teams in BCS Bowls and more money for the Schools.o_OThat Is Now Loompa Added To Your Part?:mad:

3. Moreover, The Denver Consultant Plan required New York State a New TV Market for the ACC to make the numbers work for bigger and better TV Payouts and why it did not include Another Team from Virginia? o_OFacts Matter If You Can Read Them?:rolleyes:
That plan got threw in round file quick, and it didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT!

4. In addition, Miami had been complaining for years to Big East Commissioner and other Big East Presidents to Expand Football, and break off of Catholic Basketball even before Dr. Shalala arrived at Miami?:confused:Oh, My another Loompa On Your Part?:cool:
All that complaining didn't keep VT from an invite, here is your number UM. FACT!

5. Additionally, the Denver Consultants Plan was being created even before 2001 and included Syracuse as UMD''s AD Yow talked about and just after Dr. Shalala was made President of Miami in 2001. Do you really believe Dr. Shalala wrote the Plan for the Denver Consultants in a few weeks?:(Timing Is Important Too Oompa?:oops:
Timing is important, read on...

6. Furthermore, Dr. Shalala voted for VT not Syracuse later knowing there is no Expansion without UVA Voting Yes, just like I said and not TNT?:mad:Oops!:eek:
UM wasn't an ACC member, VT was in before UM, therefore they didn't get a vote. FACT!
Prefer your ish samich on white or wheat?

7. Finally, two of the Tobacco Road Dogs UNC & DUKE voted against the Expansion Plan and 2 NCS & Wake voted for VT and Miami and eventually BC! :cool:You Proved Oompa-Loompa Dupa All By Yourself!:p
NCSTATE and Wake were already on board...... Didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT!

Therefore, so mush for you Shalala and Tobacco Road nonsense reasoning and either your ignorance or lies, either way, tell us what part of stupid do you prefer now with TNT???:)

Cuse may have been hesitant, BC wasn't and got their ticket stamped next.
Wait, Wait, Do Tell Me and Us, TNT Syracuse did not back or wait even though the VT President actually talked to Syracuse pointing how important they are for Big East Survival as my Links proves, but you said, TNT is closer to the Truth?

:oops:Now just go away, my links have educated the Posters, proved TNT and You wrong, and you tell fibs and expect us to believe you?:(

:oops:Oh, you are back what Truth Decay can we expect from you next?:(
"stomping it out, post: 184257, member: 11145"]I didn't read your links, nor all of your boring diatribe.
I know one could tell but good try anyway, failure is the best teacher and you are learning coming here.:p

I don't need to read some bobble-head from RDT or other tripe to know what happened back then, I lived in Richmond at the time and mingled with some of the power brokers in the legislature, did you?
Well, let me tell you something, Power Brokers don't say it, they show it, and you should have read my first Post, and you just admitted you did not read Posts and that was another failure on your part, and TNT got it wrong as proved. And you too!:D My first job was in Richmond with Reynold Metals and I have been with legislators all my life and I can tell a lightweight and better yet refuted you easily I might add!:rolleyes: I don't boast what and whom I know I just show it!

Nope, you are wrong.
Now you are just using my lines, LOL! Look, first off TNT was wrong, and you were wrong to back him up, and your admitted your failure in not reading verified Links that backs up my following of the Expansion years ago. If you can't read Publications and call them Diatribe, then you must have Diarrhea.

Neither Casteel or Steger knew how deep the discussion was going on at the time. UVA had already voted 3 times in favor of expansion... (hint: the UVA admin doesn't give a rats behind about sports, not now, not then, when compared to academics).
Well, I can agree with you that UVA being one of the Best and Brightest Public Universities in the World, and I know for a fact, I do know they have high standards on Academics and not every recruit that is great can get into Jefferson's Founding Instutution of Higher Learning. Just like Albert Gallatin's NYU and Franklin's Penn!

On the other hand, you are aware that UVA is often in the Top 10-20 of Directors Cups Rankings almost every year, by the way here is a clue, that is shhsss!."Sports", and I have a close friend whose Daughter that taught me all about it when she was on the Rowing Crew as well as they just won the Baseball NCS, because she called me.

UVA is one University I do follow and admire, please tell me you are not an Alumus? They read you know so they can learn how to respond, but you admitted you couldn't do it?
:(

Gov. Warner didn't care either, all he cared about was votes in his pocket..
Hmmnnn, but he was aware how important Athletics are and Funding for both UVA & VT, and that is important to Voters and Taxpayers and many are Football Fans. Heck, in Pennsylvania we just rid of a Governor that messed on Penn State and then tried to cover up his own mistakes when he was Attorney General and took lots of Campaign Money to run for Goovernor from Jerry Sandusky's The Second Mile as he abused Children while using Penn State Football Facilities to do it?

FACT- As Verified in my LINKS, Governor Warner may not have cared about Sports but he acted and made sure UVA President would not Vote Yes for ACC Expansion Invitations until, VT was part of that Vote! If you are saying taht was not a simple matter then you're now saying my Factual Info & Links are more right than TNT's poor and vague information?o_O

VT was no different to him than Hampton/ODU/VCU or William and Mary.
Well, Hampton, ODU/VCU, Willy and Mary, and George Mason did not get into the ACC, but VT did, and VT wins more than UVA ever did, so he did act and he did complicate, delay, and change the ACC Expansion Plan did he not, and that makes TNT simple comment pretty too simple and my own far more accurate!.

Guess what? Politicians tell half-truths, sometimes out right lies to make themselves look better in the media!
Yeah, and you must be around them too much because that what you posted here! You know the difference between Lies and Half-Lies."A Man Who Tells Lies, Merely Hides The Truth....But A Man Who Tells Half-Lies Has Forgotten Where He Put It!"
Look, I am not going to blame you, you read TDT and he did not know the full truths as you say, only Half-Truths! As they say, Half Right Means Half Bright! I love Politicians and know them and have counsel and defended some, and that is just fine with me, so long as they act when it will help the commonwealths, citizens and institutions.

You were disputing TDT's post that Cuse/other BE members blinking caused VT's inclusion, that is what I responded to as a favor to educate.
I disagree, I proved with verified Links that TDT got it more wrong than right, Links you admitted you did not read, and you were foolish to engage on something you did not know, since you and you did not educate anyone and still have not done so, sir? You are just upset you could not respond with any substantive counter information or links, in my opinion? Calling it boring diatribe is not an argument and having nothing to back you up is not factual reasoning either especially when TDT was vague and wrong on what actually happen. I followed this area and my post was far more accurate and you could or did not read it!

Oh, let me make this as clear as I can, VT slobbered over being a member of the ACC for over 40 years.
I totally agree, VT was lucky to get into the Big East, but Frank Beamer did win many 10+ Win Seasons and actually surpassed Penn State Paterno in winning more games in the 1990s to today. The Link I posted on the VT President response says it too, 40 years they wanted to being the ACC footprint.

But TDT did not mention any of the details I mentioned on what happen and about how VT did not even want to join the ACC and tried to become the Top Dog in the Big East if all Schools would sign Binding Agreements and go back and read my first Post if you think otherwise.

Moreover, Dr. Von Yinzer admitted his error on his recall and that was what TDT was confusing with my posts, and you too. I also took apart each of you and TDT's contentions with specifics and none of you responded with any kind of accuracy in refuting them.

It was never going to happen.
Well, it did happen, and deal with it!

It wasn't the VT President that made the offer at the BE meeting, dummy! That was an AD meeting, read and comprehend before you respond.
Look, in AD meetings and President Discussions it was reported a Binding Agreement was asked to be signed by all Big East Schools except Miami and calling me a dummy does not refute it, especially a Poster that admitted he didn't read them, but comments magically anyway?

Cuse was still living good the on Donnie/Marvin days.
I agree just won BB NCS! Go on..
BC was still strong.
Yep, won 10 Games when it joined the ACC and got a bad Bowl.

WVU still had Nehlan at the time.
Nehlan was a good coach!

Pitt had name recognition.
Richest History in the ACC but not after 1985?

VT was flying high on the Vick years.
Agree, 14 out of 24 Season with 10 Win or More!

In fact, the Big East was winning more BCS Bowls, playing in more NCS Games, and doing better in the NFL Draft as far as putting more Players in the NFL with 8 teams then ACC with 9 Teams. VT actually dominated the ACC when it joined. Swofford made the right move at the right time as far as I am concern to improve the ACC, protect it from SEC, and reduce the Big East!

Also, I didn't read past 1, if 2-6/7? contained the sames stupidity,enjoy your fairyland.
Look, I understand, you make comments without the ability to read and that upsets you with your learning disabilities, carry on, and keep trying and we admire your attempt to sound important! But still waiting on you and TDT in giving some Facts or admit you cannot refute my own, and go and sin no more!!

well, IF you are so knowledgeable about who/what/when was being discussed behind closed doors during this time frame, go ahead and post what ND was saying and to whom??
I did and you admit you could or did not read them, and that is on you! and I caught you telling Half-Truths and pointed them out to educate you, and all you did was show you can't!:eek:

Now if you are implying that the VT President used this ACC Expansion opportunity to our maneuver Cuse and UVA helped him, and the Governor and AG, well, that just supports my position that something stopped Cuse from joining the ACC and hurt the ACC Revenue Expansion Plans and VT and BC proved they belonged in the ACC better than Miami did?

Read the Links and get an education with TDT instead of proving why Virginia and her Generals had guys like you and TDT, losing the War but saved VT Hokies like the class act they pulled on the ACC,

If it wasn't for Swofford mistakes, the ACC would not have had to come back years later and go after Cuse again! Thank goodness for that too, Pitt, ND, and ULou all benefited too!
:p

Now you have the idea and reading too!;)

Stomping it out, post: 184272, member: 11145"]1. Dr. Shalala did earn her PH.D from Syracuse and Syracuse would be a great fit for ACC Basketball? :(That Looks To Be Oompa On Your Part?:eek:
It did earn them a consideration of an Invite and TDT said ACC visited their Campus. The ACC Expansion Plan as I pointed out and analysis I posted would have made more money for the ACC, just like my firs post said. VT President delayed Cuse while he went after the VA Governor, AG, and the UVA President voted only yes if VT was invited!:eek:FACT, Still refutes you lie and the ACC Plan wa snota dopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

2. Also, Syracuse was a founding member of the Big East and part of the Expansion Plan was to remove the Big East as a BCS Bowl Bid Conference so it would be easier for the ACC to get 2 Teams in BCS Bowls and more money for the Schools.o_OThat Is Now Loompa Added To Your Part?:mad:
Yeah, it did later when ACC knew they made a mistake by not passing their first Expansion Plan?:rolleyes:FACT, Still refutes you lie and the ACC Plan was not adopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT!! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

3. Moreover, The Denver Consultant Plan required New York State a New TV Market for the ACC to make the numbers work for bigger and better TV Payouts and why it did not include Another Team from Virginia? o_OFacts Matter If You Can Read Them?:rolleyes:
That plan got threw in round file quick, and it didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT!
FACT, The ACC Plan TDT never mention in his first Posts had to be explained to him and you? FACT, Still refutes you lie and the ACC Plan was not adopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

4. In addition, Miami had been complaining for years to Big East Commissioner and other Big East Presidents to Expand Football, and break off of Catholic Basketball even before Dr. Shalala arrived at Miami?:confused:Oh, My another Loompa On Your Part?:cool:
All that complaining didn't keep VT from an invite, here is your number UM. FACT!
FACT, Still refutes you lie! Big East Expansion did better than ACC in wins, rankings and ratings and Basketball and caused the ACC to invite Cuse & 3 other Big East Programs later! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

5. Additionally, the Denver Consultants Plan was being created even before 2001 and included Syracuse as UMD''s AD Yow talked about and just after Dr. Shalala was made President of Miami in 2001. Do you really believe Dr. Shalala wrote the Plan for the Denver Consultants in a few weeks?:(Timing Is Important Too Oompa?:oops:
Timing is important, read on...
FACT, Still refutes you lie that somehow Shalala wrote up the Plan and stuck it to Tobacco Road Schools that 2 voted for Expansion! The ACC Plan was not adopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT!! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

6. Furthermore, Dr. Shalala voted for VT not Syracuse later knowing there is no Expansion without UVA Voting Yes, just like I said and not TNT?:mad:Oops!:eek:
UM wasn't an ACC member, VT was in before UM, therefore they didn't get a vote. FACT!
Prefer your ish samich on white or wheat?

I agree with you there, Miami could not vote on VT and I'll take ish an stand corrected, and that is one point for you, and what 6 losses? See, I don't tell half Truths or lies, just admit when i make a mistake. an that makes me smarter unlike you that admits he did not read and ignored reported facts! Cuse did get in and Miami voted for them? So did Pitt, ND, and ULou! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

7. Finally, two of the Tobacco Road Dogs UNC & DUKE voted against the Expansion Plan and 2 NCS & Wake voted for VT and Miami and eventually BC! :cool:You Proved Oompa-Loompa Dupa All By Yourself!:p
NCSTATE and Wake were already on board...... Didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT!
FACT still refutes your lie, and Cuse did get in, and so there was no Tobacco Road problem as you previously stated. The ACC Plan was not adopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT!! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

Therefore, so mush for you Shalala and Tobacco Road nonsense reasoning and either your ignorance or lies, either way, tell us what part of stupid do you prefer now with TNT???:)
FACT still refuted you lie, and the ACC Plan wa snota dopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT! Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT!

Cuse may have been hesitant, BC wasn't and got their ticket stamped next.
Wait, Wait, Do Tell Me and Us, TNT Syracuse did not back or wait even though the VT President actually talked to Syracuse pointing how important they are for Big East Survival as my Links proves, but you said, TNT is closer to the Truth?
Didn't earn Cuse an invite, did it? FACT! The ACC Plan was not adopted as planned an did not earn the money expected by losing Cuse to VT!!Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT! ;)

:oops:Now just go away, my links have educated the Posters, proved TNT and You wrong, and you tell fibs and expect us to believe you?:(
Just proves it was not a simple process that refutes you and TDT! Yes, Cuse is in the ACC, so is VT, Miami, Pitt, ULou, and ND and BC what took you so long to improve the ACC? And destroy the Big East!......Could it Be....UVA President, VA Governor, VA-AG, and VT President to complete and augment the First Denver Consultant Plan that Neither you or TDT posted first?:D

Syracuse, Pittsburgh leave Big East to officially join ACC Conference
LINK:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/09/syracuse_pittsburgh_leave_big.html

Last edited:
Oh, and this idea you keep pushing that Swofford was trying to kill the Big East is fiction. He wasn't trying to kill the Big East, and he wasn't trying to remove their BCS bid. He was simply trying to improve his conference.

Well, Swofford did not improve it as good as he thought it was going to be, and he eventually did destroy the Big East!

Link Comment:
Four years ago, commissioner John Swofford decided he wanted the ACC to become a power football conference. The results have been so bad, even Matt Millen could laugh. Not only has the ACC not won a BCS game, it hasn't even gotten a single BCS at-large bid. That $17 million payoff was Swofford's main goal when he seduced Tech, Miami and Boston College away from the Big East.

The ACC then placed Miami and Florida State in opposite divisions with the clear intent of having the two traditional powers meet in the conference championship game--in nearby Jacksonville, no less--more seasons than not. Think about it; every other conference's divisions are geographical; the ACC named its halves "Atlantic" and "Coastal." That was a convenient way to give both Miami and FSU a shot. Well, look what's happened. Miami has yet to reach the title game. FSU made it last year--and won (with four losses). Both teams went 6-6 during turmoil-filled 2006 regular seasons that cost coaches their jobs and were relegated to minor bowls. This year's championship game matched Wake and Georgia Tech, two scrappy, overachieving teams with negative Q-ratings. Think it's coincidence that Jacksonville wants out as host city? The folks in Greensboro like to point out that their conference got eight bowl bids for the second straight season; only the Southeastern Conference (nine) had more this year. True enough. But the ACC's bowl record this year is a modest 4-4, and it gets worse when you take a closer look. The league's two division winners (Wake and Georgia Tech) both lost their bowls. Virginia Tech, arguably the ACC's best team over the second half of the season, blew a 21-3 halftime lead and fell to Georgia in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Boston College needed a Navy fumble and a field goal at the gun to win the third-tier Meineke Bowl. The ACC's most impressive bowl performance came from Maryland, which routed a mediocre Purdue team in the Champs Bowl after collapsing badly late in November. Miami and FSU salvaged some ACC pride with bowl victories, but suffice it to say that Boise and San Francisco weren't in their preseason plans. The man with the biggest smile has to be Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese. His league--which was rumored to be losing its automatic BCS bid after the defections--is 4-0 in bowls (with Cincinnati still to play Western Michigan) and has clinched the best record of any conference. Among those four wins were Louisville's victory over Wake in the Orange Bowl and West Virginia's come-from-behind triumph over Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl. The Big East went 7-3 against the ACC this season. In next week's final polls, there will be three Big East teams (Louisville, WVU and Rutgers) in the top 15 and none from the ACC. The ACC may have quantity, but it certainly lacks quality. Miami and FSU won't stay down for long, but neither are they the juggernauts they once were.

LINK:
http://csnbbs.com/thread-71116.html

Excerpt & Link:
...The ACC and their Commissioner John Swofford deserve enormous criticism for announcing plans add BC and Syracuse before finalizing the details internally. To announce that BC and Syracuse were two of their choices, then pull the proverbial rug out from under them at the last minute is inexcusable. The ACC had every right to expand and invite teams from other conferences, but they also had a responsibility to have a clear plan before announcing who they were going to invite. Once those names were announced, they had absolutely no right to change their minds. (YEP, SIMPLE HUH!)

The one school that should draw the wrath of everyone involved is Virginia Tech. I cannot imagine the nerve and complete lack of ethics that it took for Virginia Tech to take part as a plaintiff in suing Miami and BC then skulk over to the side of the defendants less than a month later. Not only did they steal BC's invitation, but they shamelessly exploited the other schools who filed the lawsuit to get themselves into the ACC. If there is one thing that all of the teams in the Big East can agree upon, it should be their hatred for the Hokies. VA Tech's actions are vile. Notre Dame, please step aside because I have a brand new "Most Hated Team." I wish Virginia Tech nothing but heartache and failure. If there is a college football god, the Hokies will be punished severely for their unparalleled deviousness.

Ironically, many schools in the ACC also have reason to be upset with Virginia Tech. Duke and UNC didn't want expansion to begin with and now they have to split the pie into two more pieces and still don't have enough teams for a football championship game (which was supposedly the whole reason for doing this). The other ACC schools (except for NC State and Virginia) wanted Boston College and Syracuse in the mix. Thanks to Virginia Tech, the ACC has lost the Boston television market, the Northeast exposure and were forced to take a school in Virginia Tech that is far less academically compatible than BC or Syracuse.

Link:
http://www.bceaglesfootball.com/archives/acc063003.htm

CSR, you can type a lot without saying much.. btw, what makes you consider me a male?
Just because I can refute your claims about how the VT invite came about from the ACC?

Again, I didn't read all of your ish posts nor your links, I don't have to, I know what happened and it wasn't because of "Power Brokers" talking out of turn, it was done behind closed doors, and they DID show it.
Steger NEVER went to Gov. Warner to get VT into the ACC, it was almost done before he gave it much credence. Casteel knew he only had to deal with a few big donors as far as "sports"... BTW, UVA is almost top 5 every year in Director Cup competition. Also, UVA won two other NC's this year!!

The VT admin group thought the BE was a viable conference without UM, if everybody else stayed. That part is simple. Although I will agree with you the rest wasn't so simple, but it all happened within a month or so.
GaTech's AD came up for an on campus visit, and offer was extended the next day. Would you like to guess where he was AD before he took that position?

You are clearly out classed in your knowledge/understanding of VA politics during this time, it could be beneficial to you to take the good Dr's posts to heart?

Enjoy your samwich :)

You never mentioned ANYTHING about ND during this time frame or is it that you stake your knowledge on some beat reporter on the subject matter that is only allowed "on the record" posted on the internet? Sad, if so.

Why does this take so long? We've been hearing about this network since Pitt was accepted, that was at least 3 years ag . This idea doesn't seem any closer to reality than a her ago. Maybe the ADs need a few more golf outings AKA conference meetings to discuss this. In reality, we are looking at what? 2018-19 before ever seeing this network?

Guys, there's no need to get nasty with each other. We just have slightly different recollections on how this all came about. It is not the end of the world if we remember things happening in a slightly different order - especially in the situation that was as complex and convoluted as the dissolution of the Big East.

Why does this take so long? We've been hearing about this network since Pitt was accepted, that was at least 3 years ag . This idea doesn't seem any closer to reality than a her ago. Maybe the ADs need a few more golf outings AKA conference meetings to discuss this. In reality, we are looking at what? 2018-19 before ever seeing this network?

They've maintained 2017 or 2018 pretty much from the start. As far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed.

Until we get close to those dates without any evident progress I cannot get worked myself worked up in to much of a lather over this issue.

The SEC went through the same process and basically had the same timeline. Why does this take so long? Who knows? I've never been involved in a negotiation quite as complex as that one. I'm sure that there are a great many variables and egos to manage and that takes time. I'd much rather they take their time and get it right than rush it and get it wrong.

Serious discussions could take place when the GOR were signed. That was only 2 years ago. It took the SEC 3 years to form theirs. There are numerous contracts to unwind, you have to ensure that it will make money (see LHN network), and ESPN just added money to cable bills, it would be unwise to go right back to the well.

Again, since day 1, they said it would be a 2-3 year process to determine the correct path to take and if a network is viable. We just passed the two year mark. Everyone has said 2017 as the launch date if this would go through. It has been that way since day 1.

If there is nothing announced by May of next year, then I'll start to worry.

Guys, there's no need to get nasty with each other. We just have slightly different recollections on how this all came about. It is not the end of the world if we remember things happening in a slightly different order - especially in the situation that was as complex and convoluted as the dissolution of the Big East.

I agree Dr. Von, what happened is over and done with now.
I'm glad Pitt is in the ACC.

I said, UVA would not vote Yes without VT and that changed many dynamics of the ACC TV Payouts, you claim it was that simple I told you it can't be that simple because VT was not in the first plan.

I never said Virginia Tech was part of the original plan. You have got to stop twisting around my words. Every time I post something, you twist around what I say, and then go off on a hissy fit, and then it turns out I never even said what you are arguing about in the first place.

Here is what I actually said on this issue, in post #18:

The ACC targeted Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College. They met with the schools, and it was a done deal. The only thing that happened was the Virginia legislature forced UVA to vote no if Virginia Tech wasn't included. That's when the whole process went sideways

So you see, I very clearly said that the original plan included Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College. I never, never, never said Virginia Tech was part of the original deal. That's simply a lie on your part.

Another poster listed the timeline of the events. The original plan was to take Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College. UVA switched to a no vote at the last minute. The reason they did that is because the Virginia legislature realized that with North Carolina and Duke as no votes, they could use pressure on UVA to get Virginia Tech included in the deal. That's how Virginia Tech ended up getting the invitation instead of Syracuse.

The point is, the only thing that messed up the plan is when UVA changed to a no vote. UVA was not originally a no vote. Had there not already been 2 no votes on the table, UVA would not have switched, and Syracuse would have been accepted as originally planned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT