ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Erie Tribs Steelhead Run

LivinWell

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2007
Fished over Thanksgiving on Elk and couldnt believe the fish numbers. Fish in every riff which really helps spread out the fishermen. Fished again on Elk Wed and Thurs of this week and same thing - 6 to 12 fish in every rapid. Many many hookups and fish landed. Water flow is excellent and modestly stained. Wholly buggers and nymphs did the trick for me and offers a different look then the traditional egg and spawn patterns.

might have to dumb that down a bit for those of us who's fishing skills maxed out with a night crawler or salmon egg being cast out from a Zebco 202 that was sure to jam up within a span of 4-5 casts...

I hope this devolves into stories about goonish behavior witnessed at all of the Lake Erie streams

Fished over Thanksgiving on Elk and couldnt believe the fish numbers. Fish in every riff which really helps spread out the fishermen. Fished again on Elk Wed and Thurs of this week and same thing - 6 to 12 fish in every rapid. Many many hookups and fish landed. Water flow is excellent and modestly stained. Wholly buggers and nymphs did the trick for me and offers a different look then the traditional egg and spawn patterns.
Sounds like fun.
Can you see the fish? Or blind fishing fishy looking water?

Fishing is good, had two buddies fishing Friday and yesterday and between the two, had over 30 hook ups.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I've had bad luck with salmon eggs and power bait. Worms and spinners do the best for me. Granted, that's for their cousin, the trout. I've never done any steelhead fishing in Pa. When/if I retire in Western PA, I'll make the trip.

Do the steelhead take those attractor streamer flies like they use out west for salmon?

I've had bad luck with salmon eggs and power bait. Worms and spinners do the best for me. Granted, that's for their cousin, the trout. I've never done any steelhead fishing in Pa. When/if I retire in Western PA, I'll make the trip.
Steelhead are rainbow trout that mature in the lake and annually return to the streams they were released in as fry.

I’ve never done it because crowds and fishing are diametrically opposed in my mind but I feel like I’m missing out.

Reactions: dirge999
It isn’t that bad. Weekdays are best. Further upstream the better
I so want to do this sometime. What is the best month for this? i.e. can I combine with Pitt-Steelers-Pens games for roadtrip?
Can you go guided (or one of yinz take me lol)?

I so want to do this sometime. What is the best month for this? i.e. can I combine with Pitt-Steelers-Pens games for roadtrip?
Can you go guided (or one of yinz take me lol)?
December January February even March are good.
Very rain dependent because these are very shallow rain fed tributaries. Timing of rain is crucial because too much rain blows them out and discolors the water.
Yes there are plenty of reasonable guides. Helpful to navigate posted properties.
Poor Richard’s tackle shop in Fairview PA a good reference point. Check their FB page.

December January February even March are good.
Very rain dependent because these are very shallow rain fed tributaries. Timing of rain is crucial because too much rain blows them out and discolors the water.
Yes there are plenty of reasonable guides. Helpful to navigate posted properties.
Poor Richard’s tackle shop in Fairview PA a good reference point. Check their FB page.
So Pitt hoops and Penguins. That's how I navigate my calendar.
Rain has blown out my locals for the past few days. Flows coming down, but windy today.
Had a look a few evenings ago in a small creek. Saw some fish but none feeding. Was a heavy mayfly hatch going but just no rises. Was alone so just couldn't get into casting position and be able to see the fish to offer nymphs to them. Really need two to team fish when they're not actively feeding.
Can you rent gear off the guides? Getting back into NZ with fishing gear makes clearing biosecurity much more difficult.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
So Pitt hoops and Penguins. That's how I navigate my calendar.
Rain has blown out my locals for the past few days. Flows coming down, but windy today.
Had a look a few evenings ago in a small creek. Saw some fish but none feeding. Was a heavy mayfly hatch going but just no rises. Was alone so just couldn't get into casting position and be able to see the fish to offer nymphs to them. Really need two to team fish when they're not actively feeding.
Can you rent gear off the guides? Getting back into NZ with fishing gear makes clearing biosecurity much more difficult.
Probably. Never used a guide but I’m sure they could accommodate. Easy going dudes mostly

Three things I wish I could do in Raleigh, that I loved doing as a kid in W. Pa.

- Trout fishing (close enough to Steelhead for me)
- Ruffed Grouse hunting
- Ringneck Pheasant hunting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT