ADVERTISEMENT

What football team (NCAA) best resembles Pitt?

VincePITT

Sophomore
Jul 9, 2008
Western, PA
I would say Minnesota Golden Gophers. They are located in a NFL city (Minneapolis), they had glory years, success in the early 20th century, posting winning records from 1900 to 1919. Winning most of their National Championships (1904, 34, 35, 36, 40 & 41) in their early years and one in 1960. Has Has an overall winning percentages around .571, not very impressive, but has a lot of NC (7). Played in a NFL city and had low attendance compared to other NCAA FBS teams. Has one Heisman Trophy winner, multiple college Hall of Famers and NFL Hall of Famers. They are playing a lot better in the last 2-3 years winning 8 games in back to back seasons. And HC Jerry Kill has a lot to do with that, winning the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award last season. Since 2009 they have played their home games at a on campus stadium TCF Bank Stadium, a 50,805 - seat on-campus horseshoe style stadium, this after being off campus since 1982!

I would say Minnesota Golden Gophers. They are located in a NFL city (Minneapolis), they had glory years, success in the early 20th century, posting winning records from 1900 to 1919. Winning most of their National Championships (1904, 34, 35, 36, 40 & 41) in their early years and one in 1960. Has Has an overall winning percentages around .571, not very impressive, but has a lot of NC (7). Played in a NFL city and had low attendance compared to other NCAA FBS teams. Has one Heisman Trophy winner, multiple college Hall of Famers and NFL Hall of Famers. They are playing a lot better in the last 2-3 years winning 8 games in back to back seasons. And HC Jerry Kill has a lot to do with that, winning the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award last season. Since 2009 they have played their home games at a on campus stadium TCF Bank Stadium, a 50,805 - seat on-campus horseshoe style stadium, this after being off campus since 1982!

I think Alabama

Pitt fans aspire to being more than another Minnesota. Eight wins seasons are not enough. Most of us think an 8 win season should be the floor not the ceiling.

Miami... But their recruiting is better. Results on the field are both disappointing to their fan bases. Neither bases show up to the games unless it's a top tier game!

Reactions: VincePITT

Georgia Tech. I thought that when I lived in Atlanta.

In a state with a big state school that's in a different conference. Has a rich history. Has the chance to be pretty good. The Georgia fans think they are better than Tech.

In a city vs UGA in a college town. Tech doesn't draw huge numbers because of their size. In an NFL city in addition to pro baseball and basketball.

Definitely Tech. I lived in Atlanta and GA Tech is the the 5th sports option at best. They have an evil empire as a rival and they're a city school with ancient history. Hail to PITT

I was going to say Alabama, but someone beat me to it. I will change and say Ohio State.

I have always looked at Georgia Tech as our southern doppelgänger. I also see them as a potential rival.

Urban Campus, Student Enrollment, & Football
Georgia Tech, Atlanta
Northwestern, Chicago
Arizona, Tucson
Miami, Miami
Minnesota, Minneapolis
UCincy, Cincinnati
Duke, Durham
TCU, Fort Worth
SMU, Dallas
Houston, Houston
Temple, Philadelphia
Baylor, Waco

In a state with a big state school that's in a different conference. Has a rich history. Has the chance to be pretty good. The Georgia fans think they are better than Tech.

In a city vs UGA in a college town. Tech doesn't draw huge numbers because of their size. In an NFL city in addition to pro baseball and basketball.
Yes I didn't think about GA Tech, and they have blue and gold uniforms too! They also had a break in their series with GA from 1916-25, like Pitt and Penn State! Their rivalry is so intense they refer to it as Clean, Old-Fashion Hate, we have a strong hate for Penn State! Let me get behind a slow driving car with a Penn State bumper sticker and I'll think about running them off the road, I meant blowing my horn on them!

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly

Two very good picks here...Minny and Tech

Last time Minny won the MNC its qb was from Uniontown

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
san diego state u. Aztecs play in a rented pro football stadium. figure they are third best option after chargers and padres. powerfull,domiating neighbors north in USC and UCLA.
Georgia Tech, Atlanta
Northwestern, Chicago
Arizona, Tucson
Miami, Miami
Minnesota, Minneapolis
UCincy, Cincinnati
Duke, Durham
TCU, Fort Worth
SMU, Dallas
Houston, Houston
Temple, Philadelphia
Baylor, Waco

I live in GA...definitely GT...no question...well respected urban school...not historically a football factory...but does have recent enough greatness (title in 1990? I think?).... deals with obnoxious football factory fans of other state school....its defintely the same scnerio...only in the south.

Oh...one other similarity...one school has fans who actually went to that school...the other has a ton of bandwagoners....I'll let you guess which is which in both the northern..and southern examples....

san diego state u. Aztecs play in a rented pro football stadium. figure they are third best option after chargers and padres. powerfull,domiating neighbors north in USC and UCLA.
Pretty good analysis to add SDS! I love going to San Diego!

But Dr.VY nailed it with Georgia Tech!

I like Northwestern Second!

Georgia Tech, Atlanta
Northwestern, Chicago
Arizona, Tucson
Miami, Miami
Minnesota, Minneapolis
UCincy, Cincinnati
Duke, Durham
TCU, Fort Worth
SMU, Dallas
Houston, Houston
Temple, Philadelphia
Baylor, Waco

Maybe this could be Pitt's new conference, "The Urban 12" Lol.

How about UCLA?

Reactions: JSSTartan
My vote would go to Cincinnatti. They are located in Southwestern Ohio as PITT is located in southwestern PA. Both schools are nestled in pro sports cities of similar size and values. Neither PITT nor UC is considered the premier state school in their respective states. In fact both schools are often overshadowed by much larger in-state rivals. The Ohio State University is centrally located in the state of Ohio and by far the largest school in that state (actually they may be the largest school, enrollment wise, in the nation!). Whereas in Pennsylvania, PSU is the centrally located big state school.

The difference is that PITT and PSU have a much greater history and rivalry than OSU and UCINN have or ever had.

My vote would go to Cincinnatti. They are located in Southwestern Ohio as PITT is located in southwestern PA. Both schools are nestled in pro sports cities of similar size and values. Neither PITT nor UC is considered the premier state school in their respective states. In fact both schools are often overshadowed by much larger in-state rivals. The Ohio State University is centrally located in the state of Ohio and by far the largest school in that state (actually they may be the largest school, enrollment wise, in the nation!). Whereas in Pennsylvania, PSU is the centrally located big state school.

The difference is that PITT and PSU have a much greater history and rivalry than OSU and UCINN have or ever had.
Pitt has a much better history than UCinn. When I think Ucinn, I think doormat. Although, they have been a better program as of late.

Pitt has a much better history than UCinn. When I think Ucinn, I think doormat. Although, they have been a better program as of late.

Better history, yes. Doormat? Certainly not in the past decade.

Would it surprise you if fans and pundits around the nation think of PITT these days as a doormat? The UCINN program probably has been better than PITT fb for the past 8 or 9 seasons.

What is interesting is that Pat Narduzzi was the DC at UCINN for 3 years. That experience (coaching at a city school) probably helps some when it comes to taking over a comparable urban school like PITT now.

Washington Huskies is another football program I think is a decent comparison.
I also like the Washington comparison. They had winning seasons in the early 1900's and had glory years with Don James, who won 153-57-2 (178-76-3 overall) and won a National Championship (1991).

Interested to know what the end game was (if any) of this thread. Yes to compile a list, but to what end? To compare and contrast with the similar programs identified? To me anyway, it reinforces that Pitt isn't alone. Many of the most similar programs named are largely also-rans like ours, and under the scenes probably for many of the same reasons.

We magnify Pitt's struggles and failures, naturally I guess. And Pitt definitely has made blunders above (below?) the curve in the past five years to "stand out" (in the worst ways). But most of these others have not set the world on fire either.

Ultimately what it probably says is that there are way too many programs.

Interested to know what the end game was (if any) of this thread. Yes to compile a list, but to what end? To compare and contrast with the similar programs identified? To me anyway, it reinforces that Pitt isn't alone. Many of the most similar programs named are largely also-rans like ours, and under the scenes probably for many of the same reasons.

We magnify Pitt's struggles and failures, naturally I guess. And Pitt definitely has made blunders above (below?) the curve in the past five years to "stand out" (in the worst ways). But most of these others have not set the world on fire either.

Ultimately what it probably says is that there are way too many programs.
Two very good picks here...Minny and Tech

Last time Minny won the MNC its qb was from Uniontown
The uniontown QB was sandy Stephens---first black All American QB---his running back was Chuck Muncie's older brother Bill who went on to successful canadian career

WSU is located in that state's version of Bradford. Not similar to Pitt at all.

Correct and nor is it anywhere close to being a premier school in the state of Washington.

That would be UW. They have much greater status in their respective state than PITT does in its own state. It is the University of Washington, not the University of Seattle. I think that makes a big difference. I see UW as an institution closer to OSU and PSU, at least in terms of state status.

I don't really see the similarities between PITT and UW other than they both have campuses in a pro sports towns.

Washington Huskies is another football program I think is a decent comparison.

Think you nailed it. I go to UDub all the time for work,and the campus is amazingly beautiful, is considered the top state school academically like Pitt is, and is in an urban area in Seattle that isnt overly big, but certainly bigger than Pittsburgh, and now only recently have big competition from the NFL. I think both basketball and football are similar between pitt and UW, cept Pitt has the bigger history overall.

Think you nailed it. I go to UDub all the time for work,and the campus is amazingly beautiful, is considered the top state school academically like Pitt is, and is in an urban area in Seattle that isnt overly big, but certainly bigger than Pittsburgh, and now only recently have big competition from the NFL. I think both basketball and football are similar between pitt and UW, cept Pitt has the bigger history overall.

Top state school academically??? Did Penn close their doors while I wasn't paying attention?

SMU
-Peaked in the early 80's
-Located in a Pro sports city.
-Overshadowed by iconic NFL teams.
-Trying to fit in in a new conference.
-Struggles to recruit against larger, more resource laden in-state school.

Nah. SMU has a much harder row to hoe than Pitt. Pitt has one in state school to compete with. Unlike Pitt, SMU is not a P5 school, and has to compete with with 5 P5 programs in state, as well as the 2 Oklahoma schools, which recruit very heavily in Texas.

Tennessee Vols...

- Johnny Majors coached both
- Fired one of their own (Pitt-Wanny, Tenn- Fulmer)
- Hired a snake oil salesman coach that left abruptly (Pitt- Graham, Tenn-Kiffen)
- Coaching carousel ever since
- Both have had consecutive records of 6-6 w/ low tier bowl game the past 5-6 years
- Both trying to get back to the "Glory Years"
- Both had Franklin coaching an in-state rival

Reactions: rc79 and jtbuba
ADVERTISEMENT