ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with Clemmings?

kjb32812

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2008
I know he was sliding on draft boards but at one point I believe he was projected as a T15 pick.

he's a little bit of a project when it comes to pass blocking and that stress fracture in his foot. NFL teams shy away like virgins protecting their flanks when a guy has a broken bone, especially one he didn't even know about.

Must be more to the injury than we know. Either that, or his pass blocking was really bad at the senior bowl because they had him work out at left tackle, which quite unfair if you ask me.

I feel really bad for him at this point having the rug pulled out....

injury, only has played OL since 2013 , only started playing fb in jr year of high school.

In this case Clemmings was out of eligibility, and he's still definitely going to get drafted eventually (one assumes, anyway!).
But this situation is one of many that underscores the danger of having so many media "experts" and "pundits," unethical agents, as well as the tacit encouragement by the NFL to mislead players who are often barely better than average into putting all their eggs into the pro basket.

There are so many players, yet so relatively few draft picks and FA signings. Nobody is the least bit interested in giving really honest assessments to players, because it's in all their financial interests to encourage them to be delusional.

In TJ's case, his quality was simply over-hyped. He was not a great player. From the sounds of things, he's not an aggressive go-getter type, since Paul Chryst (of all people) had to shame him into switching positions. Once he did play, he couldn't beat out a RS FR with injury issues for the more coveted LT position. And once he was playing, he then made a bunch of mistakes, too many false starts and holds, plus often getting owned by pedestrian DE's (he's frankly a big reason that Pitt lost the imminently winnable Virginia game last year, among others).

I say that as someone who LOVES it when a Pitt guy gets drafted highly, since it is a great advertisement for recruits. I'd have loved the same if he had been taken as well. But in this case, this guy simply was not deserving of a top pick. Probably sobering to him and his family, but in a way refreshing, in that performance seemed to actually trumped hype and "measureables". Unfortunately, up until this weekend, all the parties mentioned above conspired to lead everyone, especially him, to think otherwise. As mentioned, his time was up at Pitt anyway. But fortunately, he wasn't someone like a Greg Lee who tossed everything away to believe in a similar delusion.

Hopefully he'll get picked, still get nice money, but use this as motivation to have a chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong, including myself.

In this case Clemmings was out of eligibility, and he's still definitely going to get drafted eventually (one assumes, anyway!).
But this situation is one of many that underscores the danger of having so many media "experts" and "pundits," unethical agents, as well as the tacit encouragement by the NFL to mislead players who are often barely better than average into putting all their eggs into the pro basket.

There are so many players, yet so relatively few draft picks and FA signings. Nobody is the least bit interested in giving really honest assessments to players, because it's in all their financial interests to encourage them to be delusional.

In TJ's case, his quality was simply over-hyped. He was not a great player. From the sounds of things, he's not an aggressive go-getter type, since Paul Chryst (of all people) had to shame him into switching positions. Once he did play, he couldn't beat out a RS FR with injury issues for the more coveted LT position. And once he was playing, he then made a bunch of mistakes, too many false starts and holds, plus often getting owned by pedestrian DE's (he's frankly a big reason that Pitt lost the imminently winnable Virginia game last year, among others).

I say that as someone who LOVES it when a Pitt guy gets drafted highly, since it is a great advertisement for recruits. I'd have loved the same if he had been taken as well. But in this case, this guy simply was not deserving of a top pick. Probably sobering to him and his family, but in a way refreshing, in that performance seemed to actually trumped hype and "measureables". Unfortunately, up until this weekend, all the parties mentioned above conspired to lead everyone, especially him, to think otherwise. As mentioned, his time was up at Pitt anyway. But fortunately, he wasn't someone like a Greg Lee who tossed everything away to believe in a similar delusion.

Hopefully he'll get picked, still get nice money, but use this as motivation to have a chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong, including myself.
It's al about the injury. Nothing nore nothing less. The scouts loved his upside and physical package, enough that he would have gone first round for sure. But a stress fracture in the foot on a 300-plus pounder is a bad omen-those are the kids of injuries that may linger and reappear, and signify a player who will be injury prone.

It's al about the injury. Nothing nore nothing less. The scouts loved his upside and physical package, enough that he would have gone first round for sure. But a stress fracture in the foot on a 300-plus pounder is a bad omen-those are the kids of injuries that may linger and reappear, and signify a player who will be injury prone.

I agree on the injury.

All the best TJ !

Geeman, disagree. TJ was a complete stud last year. Plays mean and is a punishing blocker. His talent isn't overhyped at all IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT