ADVERTISEMENT

What should one say at an airport to a fellow traveller with Pitt gear?

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
I have to say the amount of Pitt stuff I have seen around airports over the last month as I have been traveling a lot has been noticeably higher than I can ever remember in my 30 years of traveling. Over the past month I have been in the Midwest and West Coast a lot and the amount of shirts, jackets, sweatshirts is pretty high.

One observation I'm making is that 18-30 year olds seem to say "Hail to Pitt" and I really like it. Older people seem to say Let's Go Pitt or Go Pitt.

So what should be the Universal Pitt acknowledgement when seeing a Pitt traveler?

I believe Pitt Nation is pretty fired up about school pride right now.

I was at a bar in grand forks north Dakota last year. It was late, about 1 am and I saw a dude in Pitt gear. I'm talking jump suit, sweatshirt and pants. He walks past me and I tell him great outfit, I'm a Pitt fan blah blah. Dude says thanks, takes off the jacket top and gives it to me right on the spot. Dude spends rest of the evening in tank top and Pitt sweat pants. Nicest guy in the world, had an English accent, said he worked in athletic dept. I still have the top.

The travel a fair amount and I always say Hail to Pitt! It usually elicits a warm response but occasionally, somewhat oddly, it's completely blown off.

Reactions: Saboteur
Hail to Pitt is unique, so that is good. In fact, instead of the "Let's Go Pitt" signs they hold up at games... why not "Hail to Pitt" instead?

Last edited:
I was at a bar in grand forks north Dakota last year. It was late, about 1 am and I saw a dude in Pitt gear. I'm talking jump suit, sweatshirt and pants. He walks past me and I tell him great outfit, I'm a Pitt fan blah blah. Dude says thanks, takes off the jacket top and gives it to me right on the spot. Dude spends rest of the evening in tank top and Pitt sweat pants. Nicest guy in the world, had an English accent, said he worked in athletic dept. I still have the top.
I usually toss a compliment their way. I guess I don't look sloppy enough to merit a handout!!! Or I have Pitt gear on already. ;)

I usually toss a compliment their way. I guess I don't look sloppy enough to merit a handout!!! Or I have Pitt gear on already. ;)
Ouch. I assume he did it as a nice gesture instead of pity but you never know

Reactions: USN_Panther
I have to say the amount of Pitt stuff I have seen around airports over the last month as I have been traveling a lot has been noticeably higher than I can ever remember in my 30 years of traveling. Over the past month I have been in the Midwest and West Coast a lot and the amount of shirts, jackets, sweatshirts is pretty high.

One observation I'm making is that 18-30 year olds seem to say "Hail to Pitt" and I really like it. Older people seem to say Let's Go Pitt or Go Pitt.

So what should be the Universal Pitt acknowledgement when seeing a Pitt traveler?

Hit them with "Hail to Pitt". True fans know that. If not that, then say, "That's the best shirt I have seen all day."

This one of the reason I travel with Pitt Gear! It kind of sucks that my tenure at Pitt was through the Pederson "Pittsburgh" transformation from Pitt, so I have a bunch of different gear. I always respond with "Hail to Pitt". Personally, I love seeing the influx of more people proud to wear Pitt Gear abroad. I live in the Midwest currently and go out of my way to do so!

Reactions: JSSTartan
I always say "Hail to Pitt" and did so this past February at the Four Seasons on the Big Island. Guy gave me a nod and a big thumbs up and sent us over a round of drinks. Frozen pina colada with rum floaters. YUMMY

The travel a fair amount and I always say Hail to Pitt! It usually elicits a warm response but occasionally, somewhat oddly, it's completely blown off.
I thought that was just me who would say something and get blown off. It was actually the reason I posted this thread because there needs to be a Universal response. I really like the Hail to Pitt as an an initial greeting and response. I said this once to someone I thought looked like an ex-lineman in the Detroit airport and he flashed me the V for victory sign that USC uses which I thought was pretty cool. This past weekend I said Go Pitt to a middle aged guy.

The last time Pitt played at Navy we were in a bar wearing our Pitt clothes and a nitter wearing nitter clothes comes up to us and says WE ARE. The arrogance never ceases to amaze me. Just walked away and laughed.

The last time Pitt played at Navy we were in a bar wearing our Pitt clothes and a nitter wearing nitter clothes comes up to us and says WE ARE. The arrogance never ceases to amaze me. Just walked away and laughed.
The perfect retort (to the "We Are ____") would have been, "Child molesters?"

Hello, for starters.

But....but....they don't care about Pitt! Dontcha' know?

When I see someone wearing Pitt apparel, the first thing I think is "I feel your pain."

Oh how I wish people would do something like that to me. It never happens though. I must look like a deranged psychopath.

I believe that the correct response to spotting a fellow Pitt fan is "S'up Dogg"

"Better days ahead."

About 7 years ago, a friend of mine played in a benefit golf tournament and knew Johnny Majors was there. He took a football and asked Johnny to autograph for me. Said maybe you can put "Let's Go Pitt" on it. Johnny said no, it's "Hail To Pitt" which is on the ball I proudly have!

ChooChoo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT