ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Tonight

I don’t think so. Maybe they do now though. But it’s also just a spring game so I wouldn’t count on it.
They had a very small merchandise table. Since it is softball season, and there was a softball game going on, that's what they had available. There were no women's soccer items for purchase since it was a spring game. Probably an oversight since I would venture to say that the soccer attendance was greater than the softball attendance.

Probably an oversight since I would venture to say that the soccer attendance was greater than the softball attendance.

I'm not sure it's an oversight, as I've been to a couple spring soccer games before and I don't ever remember them selling merchandise. I think they just figure that there are going to be so few people there that it isn't worth the time to set something up and the (relatively meager) expense of manning a table/kiosk.

I'm not sure it's an oversight, as I've been to a couple spring soccer games before and I don't ever remember them selling merchandise. I think they just figure that there are going to be so few people there that it isn't worth the time to set something up and the (relatively meager) expense of manning a table/kiosk.
Yea, they seemed to have made an effort to keep fans away this spring by not posting their schedules on their website like every other ACC team so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to the expense of setting up a merchandise stand for the 11 people who found out about the game somehow and decided to go

Yea, they seemed to have made an effort to keep fans away this spring by not posting their schedules on their website like every other ACC team so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to the expense of setting up a merchandise stand for the 11 people who found out about the game somehow and decided to go

Basically the only people that go to those games are family and friends of the players. And no amount of publicity is going to change that.

Basically the only people that go to those games are family and friends of the players. And no amount of publicity is going to change that.
Maybe so but its still wrong to not post schedules on the website and promote the games a little. I get emails from WVU soccer about upcoming games. It can't hurt to try

Maybe so but its still wrong to not post schedules on the website and promote the games a little. I get emails from WVU soccer about upcoming games. It can't hurt to try

I'm not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out what the norm is for these meaningless spring games.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out what the norm is for these meaningless spring games.
Some coaches are comfortable promoting spring games while others are not. Many programs just evenly rotate minutes throughout the roster, while others keep their starting lineup together into the 2nd half.

Some coaches are comfortable promoting spring games while others are not. Many programs just evenly rotate minutes throughout the roster, while others keep their starting lineup together into the 2nd half.

The other thing is that you never really know that status of a team's roster in the spring. I have said before that one year when my niece was playing they had a bunch of graduating seniors in the fall, and they had a couple players that were transferring out, and a couple that were injured who were not going to be able to play in the spring. So they started out with a really small roster in the spring. And then they had a couple players get hurt either in practice or in the games. At one point they were so short handed that they had one of the seniors playing with them (my guess is that they asked all of the seniors and only one of them was willing to play). So for their last couple spring games they only had something like 14 players dressed, two goalies and 12 outfield players.

At least all the players left knew they were going to get lots of minutes!

The game was listed on the schedule. The soccer attendance was greater than the softball attendance and they did have a merchandise kiosk but it only offered softball items.

Just heard this news:

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel during a virtual meeting Wednesday approved changes to overtime rules in men's and women's soccer for both the regular season and the postseason, effective for the 2022 season.

For the regular season, overtime has been eliminated, meaning if a game is tied after the regulation 90 minutes, it will end in a tie. Previously, teams played two 10-minute overtime periods in a sudden-victory (golden goal) format, and if neither team scored, the game ended in a tie.

In conference tournaments and NCAA postseason games, the sudden-victory component has been eliminated, and teams will play two 10-minute overtime periods instead. Also, when a substitution is made by the winning team in the last five minutes of the second overtime, the game clock will stop.

If the game remains tied, a penalty-kick shootout will be held to determine the winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT