• Notre Dame join ACC as full member

Votes: 18 3.1%
  • Penn State in ACC

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Pitt add a competive NCAA hockey program

Votes: 12 2.1%

• Total voters
K, all of the above.

Seriously, of all the options given, ND to the ACC for all sports would be BY FAR the most beneficial to Pitt in the long term.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I picked beat ped state, even though the answer should be win the ACC or reach the final four. A lot really depends on what else happens with each scenario. Are we talking about winning the ACC with an 8-4 record, winning with a 11-2 record but with a loss to psu, etc

I think having ND as a full "equal" member of the ACC would be the most beneficial to Pitt. It would give Pitt enough money to do a lot of good for the athletic program. The problem is they may join...but the money will never be split evenly.

I agree nd joining probably helps Pitt the most. I voted PSU; I can't help it, it would bring me so much joy to watch them take a beating like that--preferably in HV..... I would also love a good hockey program.....

I voted win ACC football, personally I like to WIN something, like winning the Big East Tourney are the best recent memories for me, it's "raising a trophy" that's better than anything! and I think it's doable, win our winnable Coastal Division some year and then pull out an ACC title game, that is not totally impossible. Some of our recent teams in the last 10-15 years had the ability to have a chance to pull that off.

I picked beat ped state, even though the answer should be win the ACC or reach the final four. A lot really depends on what else happens with each scenario. Are we talking about winning the ACC with an 8-4 record, winning with a 11-2 record but with a loss to psu, etc
Why would you care? I'd love to go 7-5, win the ACC Coastal, then upset an 11-1 Florida State team in the ACC Title game and play on New Years Day with an 8-5 record, that would be a CHAMPIONSHIP Season to me, that would be better than beating Penn State 500-0!

I think having ND as a full "equal" member of the ACC would be the most beneficial to Pitt. It would give Pitt enough money to do a lot of good for the athletic program. The problem is they may join...but the money will never be split evenly.
Most "beneficial", but if you get to a Final 4 or win the ACC Football title you've reached some of your biggest goals, so who cares about what having ND in the league does for you, if you're already achieving at that level.

Money, helps put you in a position to maintain that level of success. I don't disagree those are the goals we want those teams to achieve.

Money, helps put you in a position to maintain that level of success. I don't disagree those are the goals we want those teams to achieve.

The way I see it, I want to get some big result 1st, then worry about maintaining it after. I mean, I'll take a league championship or Final 4 above ND joining the league, even if it's just a fluke that won't be repeated. Because getting ND in the league doesn't guarantee you win anything in the future.

Remember when Pitt joined the new Big East Football League, I looked at the opposition thought that "this is great, we'll probably win multiple titles", then VT, Miami and BC left and Cincy, Louisville and UConn joined, so NOW I thought "this is great, NOW we'll probably win multiple titles", and in 20 years we won only two, and neither was outright! So I say take it when you can, don't count chickens until they're hatched.

As a fan....I'll agree your view is the correct one. If I were someone in the administration...I would probably favor the ND point of view.

Well maybe ND joining the ACC as a full member is best for Pitt as perhaps would winning the ACC. But seriously, how could anything be more enjoyable than Pitt trouncing PSU 56-0????

Why would you care? I'd love to go 7-5, win the ACC Coastal, then upset an 11-1 Florida State team in the ACC Title game and play on New Years Day with an 8-5 record, that would be a CHAMPIONSHIP Season to me, that would be better than beating Penn State 500-0!
Well, I don't really see that particular scenario happening. And I really don't like ped state. But I can definitely see your point of view on this. No real wrong answer those with first few scenarios ; they just needed to b more specific.

I'll guess the wanny for AD was cast by nitters or hoopies.
Also, I don't see how Notre dame joining helps Pitt achieve said goals. It doesn't really fit on the list.

Of course you would be happy with a 8-5 Pitt season; even more so with a 5-8 season. A 56-0 win over UPS would be soul-crushing for you.

If you picked On Campus stadium over a Final Four or winning a championship in ACC Football.... Well.... I suggest you leave Pitt's fan base and never come back.

Reactions: OriginalEther
Well maybe ND joining the ACC as a full member is best for Pitt as perhaps would winning the ACC. But seriously, how could anything be more enjoyable than Pitt trouncing PSU 56-0????

I guess to ME, winning a CHAMPIONSHIP as in RAISING A TROPHY or CUTTING DOWN NETS. on NATIONAL TV, would just be more satisfying than winning a single out of conference game or having some team join our league, maybe that's "stupid" to the Penn State obsessed crowd, but that's how I feel. Maybe I've been a Steelers fan too long (since '69) and really just enjoy the feeling of "CHAMPIONSHIP" more than any other kind of sports experience.

But seriously, how could anything be more enjoyable than Pitt trouncing PSU 56-0????

I guess I just dont think it would do much to beat a 7 win regional team. If it was an Alabama, FSU, OSU, etc trouncing, that might be a little different (but still would not even rank on the scale of winning the conference or playing in a final four). But PSUs program at this point is no different than Pitt's. Both are mediocre programs trying to figure out a path forward.

Reactions: Pitt79
I guess I just dont think it would do much to beat a 7 win regional team. If it was an Alabama, FSU, OSU, etc trouncing, that might be a little different (but still would not even rank on the scale of winning the conference or playing in a final four). But PSUs program at this point is no different than Pitt's. Both are mediocre programs trying to figure out a path forward.

Never said it would do much. However, the fact that the Nitters are so arrogant and feel their program is so far superior to Pitt is what would make it so enjoyable to have Pitt trounce them. Obviously, though, I somewhat exaggerate and admit winning championships would be the ultimate.

Never said it would do much. However, the fact that the Nitters are so arrogant and feel their program is so far superior to Pitt is what would make it so enjoyable to have Pitt trounce them. Obviously, though, I somewhat exaggerate and admit winning championships would be the ultimate.
Good post! That's how I feel. I want to beat Penn State, sure, but I'd take any championship over that. Would you give back the 2008 BE Tourney title to beat Penn State 56-0? No way! But last year when we played them in basketball I was at the edge of my seat going crazy I wanted to beat them so bad.

When I made this poll I really thought that there would be a 4 way race; I am stunned that bringing back the backyard brawl only has 2 votes. I know that WVU fans are terrible and that 95% of our fans won't go to Morgantown for fear of possibly being physically assaulted, and almost definitely being verbally assaulted--- but nobody has any sentimental feelings for this series?

That said, I don't miss the game as much as I thought I would......and voted for 56-0 over PSU--I would ABSOLUTELY rather see PITT destroy Penn State than win the ACC title. I try hard to like them because I love Pennsylvania. I want to pull for them because they represent PA, but I cannot get past their arrogance and deluded sense of superiority. They think they are Harvard in the classroom and Alabama on the football field....they would NEVER EVER be able to get over a 50 point shutout loss to their "little sister". 103,000 zombies would collectively call into work the following monday because they are devastated. You wouldn't be able to buy fast food anywhere in the state ;) I would personally purchase a statue to commemorate it..... I am an admitted "hater". HTP

Reactions: Pitt-Chains
When I made this poll I really thought that there would be a 4 way race; I am stunned that bringing back the backyard brawl only has 2 votes. I know that WVU fans are terrible and that 95% of our fans won't go to Morgantown for fear of possibly being physically assaulted, and almost definitely being verbally assaulted--- but nobody has any sentimental feelings for this series?

That said, I don't miss the game as much as I thought I would......and voted for 56-0 over PSU--I would ABSOLUTELY rather see PITT destroy Penn State than win the ACC title. I try hard to like them because I love Pennsylvania. I want to pull for them because they represent PA, but I cannot get past their arrogance and deluded sense of superiority. They think they are Harvard in the classroom and Alabama on the football field....they would NEVER EVER be able to get over a 50 point shutout loss to their "little sister". 103,000 zombies would collectively call into work the following monday because they are devastated. You wouldn't be able to buy fast food anywhere in the state ;) I would personally purchase a statue to commemorate it..... I am an admitted "hater". HTP

I find resurrecting an out of conference game (Backyard Brawl) or winning a single out of conference game (PennState 56-0) to be trivial and petty as opposed to WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP!

I admit, I am not a HATER, I don't get satisfaction out of others getting upset, I get satisfaction out of ME or MY TEAM being CHAMPION. So really, say what you want about me, I am the true "take the high road" person around here. lol.

This is what's funny about Pitt fans, other groups, like tOSA, or 'Bama or KY or even Ped State, they have goals like "WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS", we have goals like, make somebody else upset, while we go 6-6 and then travel to the Continental Tire Bowl. We set our sites low, and try to make up for it by bragging about being "moral".

I find resurrecting an out of conference game (Backyard Brawl) or winning a single out of conference game (PennState 56-0) to be trivial and petty as opposed to WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP!

I admit, I am not a HATER, I don't get satisfaction out of others getting upset, I get satisfaction out of ME or MY TEAM being CHAMPION. So really, say what you want about me, I am the true "take the high road" person around here. lol.

This is what's funny about Pitt fans, other groups, like tOSA, or 'Bama or KY or even Ped State, they have goals like "WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS", we have goals like, make somebody else upset, while we go 6-6 and then travel to the Continental Tire Bowl. We set our sites low, and try to make up for it by bragging about being "moral".

Uh, I know a lot of Ohio state fans who say with all sincerity that they would rather go 1-11 with that one win coming against Michigan than 11-1 with that loss coming against Michigan.

Again, in answering this poll, a lot depends on what else comes with it. Not sure winning the conference is better than pummeling psu if there is no playoff berth involved. On the other hand, I may stomach losing to them if Pitt still (somehow) made the playoff in that scenario.

Uh, I know a lot of Ohio state fans who say with all sincerity that they would rather go 1-11 with that one win coming against Michigan than 11-1 with that loss coming against Michigan.

Again, in answering this poll, a lot depends on what else comes with it. Not sure winning the conference is better than pummeling psu if there is no playoff berth involved. On the other hand, I may stomach losing to them if Pitt still (somehow) made the playoff in that scenario.

To me a championship is the ultimate! NOTHING trumps it! It's ROYAL FLUSH! Those Big East Tourney titles we had EASILY trump our Elite 8 year IMO. Elite 8, is one of the 67 losers, not the champion, like the BE Tourney title was.

If we went 11-3 and won the ACC, and didn't make the football tournament, and one of the losses was Penn State, I would easily forget that loss and obsessively remember that year as THE CHAMPIONSHIP YEAR.

my heart wanted to vote for beating PSU but my had knows that the ACC title is more important.

someone mentioned adding a hockey program. Irrelevant in the ACC. If we add a sport it has to be lacrosse in the ACC

Not on the list but--Playing and beating PSU for a National Championship in Football and giving them a major beatdown in the process would be mine.

Reactions: JSSTartan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT