ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL it's getting to be about time?

Pitt is #1

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2009
I have the feeling the Domino's will be falling one way or another soon. You need to commit early, if you want to have an influence on the rest of your class. These kids seem very social media savvy and realize this. Let's hope they fall our way.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I have the feeling the Domino's will be falling one way or another soon. You need to commit early, if you want to have an influence on the rest of your class. These kids seem very social media savvy and realize this. Let's hope they fall our way.
I don't know for sure but if I am Pitt, I don't wait for anyone. There are good football players in the WPIAL and few really are difference makers in any P5 school.
The MAC schools are littered with WPIAL guys. Add to the mix that verbal promises are worth the paper they are printed on and the situation becomes more complex.
For Pitt to appeal to better players in and out of the WPIAL, Pitt needs to win ...nit 7-6 win, but 9-3 or better.

I don't know for sure but if I am Pitt, I don't wait for anyone. There are good football players in the WPIAL and few really are difference makers in any P5 school.
The MAC schools are littered with WPIAL guys. Add to the mix that verbal promises are worth the paper they are printed on and the situation becomes more complex.
For Pitt to appeal to better players in and out of the WPIAL, Pitt needs to win ...nit 7-6 win, but 9-3 or better.
I completely agree. This staff will do fine with or without the locals. They are very determined recruiters, who know what it takes to be successful. That being said, I'm confident they are in a good position with the local recruits. I'm expecting a very good class for there limited time on the job.

I'm thinking the staff is in tune on who they are likely to land and who they may not out of the 427 boys. They need to know mostly about Hamlin, Hudson, Pugh and Wade. Those along with possibly Mathews are the guys who should have spots regardless.

our back yard is very important for narduzzi. when it comes to the big time locals, he will wait if he has to. there is no doubt about that. but the quicker these big locals figure out where they want to go, if its pitt, that will greatly enhance our current and future recruiting efforts.

I'm thinking the staff is in tune on who they are likely to land and who they may not out of the 427 boys. They need to know mostly about Hamlin, Hudson, Pugh and Wade. Those along with possibly Mathews are the guys who should have spots regardless.

Indications are that there is ongoing communication and feedback between Pitt and the local players they are recruiting the hardest. Have to believe that were HCPN and the staff to feel that if Pitt were out of it for some of the local players that they want the most, there would be actions taking place - on both the recruits' side and Pitt's side - that would provide indications that Pitt and those players were moving in another direction. Good recruiters are astute at interpreting the information. They are able to tell if they're being BS'd or led along.

To this point, the Pitt staff evidently feels that hasn't happened and it would appear to mean that the Pitt coaches seem to like where things are. But think it's most important to observe the actions - and also the inactions - that are taking place as to what the recruits are actually doing, in regards to Pitt as wll as other schools recruiting them, with some of these particular local players. More so than speculating based on 3rd party comments, tweets, recruiting articles, etc. We'll see what happens from here.

if the past decade or so's recruiting history is an indicator, the best locals Pitt might land probably won't commit until they see how Pitt's season goes this fall. But, things do change, and maybe this year with this staff it will be different. We can be pretty confidant, IMHO, that this staff will hold some slots for as long as necessary for at least the very best of the locals who continue to have Pitt interest unless, or until, they commit elsewhere. That's my best guess anyway.

if the past decade or so's recruiting history is an indicator, the best locals Pitt might land probably won't commit until they see how Pitt's season goes this fall. But, things do change, and maybe this year with this staff it will be different. We can be pretty confidant, IMHO, that this staff will hold some slots for as long as necessary for at least the very best of the locals who continue to have Pitt interest unless, or until, they commit elsewhere. That's my best guess anyway.
:):rolleyes::p

Honestly not too surprised if top local recruits are skeptical or hesitant. They are bombarded with mostly negative Pitt sentiment locally nearly 24x7, and that's in the best of times. Throw in (or up, more accurately) when we shoot ourselves in the foot in bad losses, or the coaching follies, et al ... it's mildly surprising when we do get great local prospects like a Whitehead.

That said there are pockets where it's almost intolerable we aren't successful. Aliquippa, Woodland Hills, Penn Hills. We should much more likely nail down key guys from there. It's why it was disturbing to see Pitt (Chryst more accurately) seemingly thumb his nose at Henry and other Quip prospects last couple years. It's hard enough for us without those outposts of loyalty.

Good news is, like with attendance, that its an easy turnaround locally IF we can put together a couple nice winning seasons. The media still won't be positive, but yinzers are drawn to winners. And so will be local recruits. If we have to prime the pump with outside prospects and jucos to put some 9-3 campaigns together, the issue will take care of itself. Make it so, Duz

I'm pretty sure the 412 kids are staying home unless we completely screw the pooch the first few games. I have it on good authority Totten really likes what he has seen fro. Narduzzi so far.

when you say the 412 kids, which ones are you including?

you think hudson is pitt bound? we've never done well with his high school. do you think sanders might flip our way?

I think Pitt lands the CC kids. I also think Ford and Lugg could commit early. That is if we have a decent season. I think we will make room to take Matthews. I think Brown is preferred to Hudson at Pitt and PSU. I suspect whoever gets Brown...the other takes Hudson.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT