ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING - 1/24/14 - Pitt vs Virginia .....

149 - Racciato (Pitt) pinned Van Hoose (VA) 6:46 ..... Pitt 12 VA 3*

nm

285 - Tasser (Pitt) won tie breaker over Hayes (VA) 2-1 .. Pitt 25 VA 9*

nm

Re: Next up, Pitt at West Virginia 2/1/14*

A great win. We have the inside track for the ACC title. The guys all wrestled hard tonight and fought like heck.

I thought this would be the toughest conference match of the year. Big surprise to me was Mack losing to Martinez, who has a losing record. Key wins were Bright close win and Wilps dominating win. Big non-surprise was Mikey getting another pin off a scramble. He has made that an art form.

Updated ACC standings

ACC Standings (as of 1-25-14)

#8 Pitt 4-0 (10-1)
#17 Virginia Tech 3-1 (14-2)
#13 Virginia 2-1 (13-3)
Maryland 1-2 (5-7)
NC State 0-1 (11-3)
North Carolina 0-2 (5-7)
Duke 0-3 (4-8)

Upcoming meets with VT (Feb 7), Edinboro (Feb 14) and Michigan (Feb 15) will all be broadcast on ESPN3, along with the ACC Championship (March 8).

Pitt's only two remaining regular season ACC meets are Virginia Tech on Feb 7th and @ UNC on Feb 22nd. Pitt will clinch a share of the de facto ACC regular season championship if they beat VT on the 7th.

This post was edited on 1/24 10:52 PM by CrazyPaco

Shelton is just having so much trouble getting out on bottom. His matches are so close and that's been a killer.

Shelton not being able to get off bottom tonight was surprising. Okie st's Morrison is a very strong rider and basically stalled the whole period, so it really wasn't surprising that he wasn't able to get out in that match. But he has to get out on a guy like Martinez. He flat out shouldn't lose to a guy like that. UVA knew that to win they needed to eliminate points at the top of the lineup, and their 125 and 133 wrestled extremely defensively, limiting Z and Shelton's chances on their feet and clinging on top to soak up ride time. But still, with the match on the line against an inferior opponent, Shelton needs to do better if he wants to get anywhere near the podium in March

Wonder what happened to Sako, kid handled Mikey on top at the Scuffle. Definitely got a break there, though the team was so good it didn't really matter.

After watching them vs. Maryland/NC State/Duke, I felt pretty strongly about them putting up a banner this year. This win validates that early belief. Much less worried about Tech than I was about UVA - It's at home, this team has proven themselves the last several years in pressure championship situations, and they're without their best guy. I see 6 weight classes victories, minimum.

Always gushing on here about Edgar Bright, but he just beat another really tough wrestler. Did not see that one coming. 141 is going to be a fun class to watch at the ACC's in March with Carter out of it. Also respect to The Urban Legend for avenging a loss to Hayes at the Scuffle.

Soaking this one in. Hail to Pitt.

Re: Updated ACC standings

Originally posted by CrazyPaco:
ACC Standings (as of 1-25-14)

#8 Pitt 4-0 (10-1)
#17 Virginia Tech 3-1 (14-2)
#13 Virginia 2-1 (13-3)
Maryland 1-2 (5-7)
NC State 0-1 (11-3)
North Carolina 0-2 (5-7)
Duke 0-3 (4-8)

Upcoming meets with VT (Feb 7), Edinboro (Feb 14) and Michigan (Feb 15) will all be broadcast on ESPN3, along with the ACC Championship (March 8).

Pitt's only two remaining regular season ACC meets are Virginia Tech on Feb 7th and @ UNC on Feb 22nd. Pitt will clinch a share of the de facto ACC regular season championship if they beat VT on the 7th.

This post was edited on 1/24 10:52 PM by CrazyPaco
VT took a huge hit when Devin Carter was lost for the season over the holidays. They have some ranked kids, but Pitt really should be able to win easily.

I was lucky to be visiting from New Jersey so I could see this match. I agree with all the accolades given to Bright, Racciato, Wilps, Max, the Urban Legend, but my highlight of the night was watching Morelli facing the #2 ranked guy. Why? Because Morelli never gave in. After each takedown and release you could see Morelli got angrier and angrier. He never stopped being aggressive. Many guys in that position basically throw in the towel. We were up 12-6 at the time and a pin would have been a momentum changer. With about 10 seconds left Morelli is down by 8 so our lead would dwindle to 2. While his opponent is trying to roll Morelli over, still being aggressive Morelli reverses him and rides him out to save the team a point. To me that finish was as stunning as Mikey's pin and Tasser's clasped hands. So many guys to root for on this team. What a pleasure!

Interesting take. He's struggled, but that's what freshman do. He's strong in the upper body, he's clearly not happy about where he is, and he's stellar in the classroom - strength, doggedness, intelligence - all positive attributes that can be used to attain future success.

I don't currently see him at the 'Future ACC Individual Champion' level (yet), but he's definitely a guy I'd like to see in the lineup next year, even if it's not at 165. We'll see.

You would expect to see Cody at 165 next year. I don't know if Morelli with his frame could drop a weight class. That could be our strongest lineup. Not sure if we have a better alternative for a, as you say, ACC weight class champion-type. Other than Forys and Rizzo, I'm not up on the rest of next year's recruits to know if there's a possiblity there as well.

Thanks for your insights.

I think Morelli might have to be a backup for a year before Ty Wilps finishes up. Then I think either he or Cody moves up to 174. I doubt Geno could make 157, and Garbinsky will be pretty tough to beat there next year as well. The main issue is who takes 125. If no one moves up, Nick Zanetta is the most likely candidate at 133 so the lineup is looking pretty simple right now.

Is Forys good enough to come in and start at 125?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT