ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING - 2/1/14 - Pitt vs WVU ......

125 - Zanetta (Pitt) dec Stainbrook (WVU), 3-0 ..... Pitt up 3-0*

nm

133 - Mack (Pitt) dec Pennesi (WVU) 7-2 ..... Pitt leads 6-0*

nm

141 - Johnston (WVU) dec Bright (Pitt) 4-3 ..... Pitt up 6-3 .......

Bright was up 3-1 and was taken down with 0:01 sec left in the 2nd period, then gave up an escape early in the 3rd period to lose 4-3.

149 - Morales (WVU) dec Racciato (Pitt) 11-9 OT .... Match tied 6-6 .....

Racciato seemed to wear out and Morales got take downs.

157 - Garbinski (Pitt) dec Scheffel (WVU) 10-3 ..... Pitt leads 9-6*

nm

165 - Morelli (Pitt) pin Renzi (WVU) 1:41 1st ..... Pitt up 15-6 ....

big win for Pitt.

174 - Wilps (Pitt) dec Scheffel (WVU) 8-2 ..... Pitt leads 18-6 ....

Wilps dominated.

This post was edited on 2/1 8:21 PM by goalieman

184 - Thomusseit (Pitt) pin Mancuso (WVU) 5:30 .. Pitt up 24-6*

nm

This post was edited on 2/1 8:25 PM by goalieman

197 - Bonaccorsi (Pitt) pin Trindade (WVU) 4:51 ..... Pitt up 30-6*

nm

285 - Tasser (Pitt) dec Vizarrondo (WVU) 6-4 .... Pitt wins 33-6 !

nm

As you always do with Baseball, nice job supporting the Wrestlers.

* Garbinsky looked MAD out there in his first (attached) start this year. I don't think that he can't beat Butler, but he did not appear to have much rust (makes sense, he's been wrestling unattached) & I think he's someone who could earn crucial points towards getting us an ACC tournament title. As much as I like Sheptock's future potential & admire Nutter's competitiveness - I doubt either would contribute significantly to a tournament title.

* No letdown from the huge win over #5 Oklahoma State, which is great, but not unexpected. This trend the last few years is that they remain locked in when a chance for a title is near.

* Zanetta has fallen way short of what I expected. But the crazy part is that he still has five weeks to build towards an All-American run. Joey Dance is a perfect test for him at the perfect time. He's talented, but he's a freshman. His performance then will tell me a lot about not only his ACC title chances (he has to win for us to get that tournament title), but his chances in Des Moines also.

* Encouraged by the sub-2:00 pin for Morelli. Max & Bonaccorsi were total beasts out there - eviscerated WVU. Mack's win got him the career advantage (2-1) over Pennisi - a 3x national qualifier. The Urban Legend with another suspense filled win, hope his foot heals in time to contribute to what I think will be a special match next Friday

Brawl wins are still pretty sweet. Hail to Pitt.

This post was edited on 2/2 1:28 PM by singregardless

This post was edited on 2/2 1:31 PM by singregardless

Updated ACC standings

obviously, an off-week for Pitt in the ACC, but here are the standings since the ACC website is so incompetent. This week bonus points resulted in a 17-16 VT win over NC State, UVA downed Maryland 16-15, NC State defeated UNC 19-16, and Duke beat VMI but lost to Drexel and Rider.

ACC Standings (through of 2-1-14)

#7 Pitt 4-0 (11-1)
#16 Virginia Tech 4-1 (15-2)
#13 Virginia 3-1 (14-3)
NC State 1-2 (12-4)
Maryland 1-3 (5-8)
North Carolina 0-3 (5-9)
Duke 0-3 (5-10)

Upcoming meets with #16 VT (Feb 7), #14 Edinboro (Feb 14) and #11 Michigan (Feb 15) will all be broadcast on ESPN3, along with the ACC Championship (March 8).

Pitt's only two remaining regular season ACC meets are Virginia Tech on Feb 7th and @ UNC on Feb 22nd. Pitt will clinch a share of the de facto ACC regular season championship if they beat VT on the 7th.

This post was edited on 2/1 11:01 PM by CrazyPaco

I watched the match on the WVU live feed. Encouraging to see Garbinsky back. He should really help with the remaining matches. Michigan just beat Ohio State and have won 7 in a row.

Zanetta won, but still nowhere near where he was 2 years ago. Wrestles much more deliberately.

Bright and Mikey are just freshmen, but what was discouraging is that both seemed to run out of gas. And Bright got careless. I have seen PSU wrestle three times this year on TV, and their true frosh don't run out of gas. Two of their wins against Iowa were by freshmen who dominated the third periods of their bouts. I don't know if it is a conditioning issue or a talent issue but one of their frosh was a walk-on -- the same kid that Mikey pinned I think. I think conditioning was an issue under Rande, especially in the NCAAs where we always seemed to do poorly in the wrestle-backs. I am hoping that is not the case with the new staff. You can score an awful lot of points in the wrestle-backs.

Still have a long way to go this year, but next year looks very bright. If Cody makes the weight at 165, we should be very solid except at 133. I have never seen the younger Zanetta wrestle, but I am assuming he will wrestle at 125. Or, if he wrestles at 133, the only glaring weak spot will be 125.

Young Zanneta is slated to wrestle 133 and has looked very good in the wrestling room thus far. I think we will be solid at that spot moving forward. Also have been told Cody has looked very good and 165 will be his natural weight class. Staff thinks he will make that weight next year.

I remember when Cody committed to Pitt, people chuckled and said "why Pitt??". If it were football, and Pitt were a top 25 school on the cusp of being a conference and national contender--people would question when a WPIAL kid went somewhere else.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

He & a couple teammates made a boneheaded series of decisions during the summer during some country music concert at Heinz Field.

I wouldn't have been broken up about him sitting out the remainder of the year at all, but ultimately I really think this staff is top shelf in terms of representing the University (and the city with PWC) and feel absolutely comfortable with their decision in light of that.

Yeah - he finished with a winning record at the Southern Scuffle (including a victory over a potential future ACC opponent in Gambucci), which is acceptable to me as as 1st year kid redshirting.

I don't know if he'll finish with the wins & amount of individual conference titles Anthony will end up with, but he'll definitely make noise before his time is done.

This post was edited on 2/3 6:38 PM by singregardless

I wonder if Cody is disappointed that Marstellar flipped to Oklahoma State? Their HS matchup was a classic: zero takedowns. Four years of facing off in college could have been a real rivalry.

Am I correct that the only kid who beat Nick in HS (and I think he beat him 4 times) walked on at PSU because they didn't have a scholarship for him?

Jason Nolf was the guy that beat Zanetta last year and he's wrestling at PSU. I wasn't aware that he didn't get a scholarship. Are you sure about that?

Nolf was a high priority recruit for PSU last year. How much money he got, I do not know. PSU was running low on money so they may have had Nolf walk on with promise of money later.

PSU has definitely loaded up on so many guys that there has to be people taking significantly less $$ to wrestle there. Zanetta wrestled Nolf pretty well, but just couldnt get out on bottom.

I doubt it. If they both reach their ceilings, there's no better sport at allowing them to meet naturally several times over those four years. And, respectfully, unless Bo Jordan get crippled between now & next year - that guy is the standard. Not Marsteller.

You're nearly correct. He lost to Nolf in Section 3, WPIAL, and SW Regionals last year. He took a loss to Gulibon in States the year prior, though. I have no clue about the kid's scholarship situation.

Cant imagine that Nolf is walking on, even at PSU. The kid is ranked first nationally in his weight class, or at least he was at the beginning of the year. But yes, Nicky Zanetta wrestled him extremely well, or as well as anybody has in high school save for Nolf's only career loss. Nicky's junior year the same thing happened to him; he lost 3-4 very close matches to Gulibon, who and again wrestled him about as well as anybody save for Jimmy's loss to Megaludis.

Pitt will be in good shape at 133 with Nicky there in the future, provided he can stay healthy. He has a history of knee issues and missed a portion of the beginning of the season because of them.

Next year at 125 I will have to assume will be Forys. I think he will do ok. He will definitely take his lumps, but I think he will transition better to college wrestling than Nyama did.

Nicks knee should be fine. I think he's going to jump in and do a great job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT