ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING - 2/7/14 - MATCH THREAD - Pitt vs Virginia Tech....

Re: Gregory wrestling 285 match for Pitt ...... Tasser sitting out as ...

Originally posted by GoneFisching:

I must say, being able to finally watch a match on ESPN3 has been awesome. Look forward to the next two!
Yeah, it was exciting !

Congrats - Would be nice if The Fan mentioned it when they give their scores.

I defy anyone to tell me how that wasn't a reversal for mikey. I was definitely sweating when Garbo got hurt and Geno lost. A clutch win by the entire team.

That is exactly why you can't have the referee doing the video review. It is clear that Mikey had the reversal when the VT wrestler let go of his foot. Then when they both had their backs exposed, Mikey should get the near fall points as well. Mikey, thinking he bad reversal, initiated the contact to get both on their backs. The ref is going to be far less likely to reverse his call than another official would be. At least this ref.

But what Mikey should have done is made 100% certain he got the reversal rather than going so quickly for the back points which he did not need.

Garbinsky looked like he was going to overwhelm the VT wrestler, getting off to a 6-0 lead. Then he did what he does too frequently -- went to sleep with 15 seconds left in the first period and allowed a 5 point move. He did the same thing right at the start of the second period and that is when he hurt his hamstring. After that he was wrestling on one leg.

Morelli wrestled well until the last 30 seconds. He almost got reversed once but managed to get both wrestlers out of bounds. Then he tried the exact same move with 15 seconds left and got the exact same result. But this time he didn't get out of bounds and got reversed. I thought he had the superior upper body strength and should have tried riding him out by staying high.

Had he been needed I think PJ would have beaten their Hwt pretty easily. Hard to believe that kid was a state champ in Ohio. Three of his takedowns came when Gregory shot, came up short and he was able to get around behind him for easy takedowns. And Gregory is painfully slow.

* Big one for Z. After everything, I still (somehow) think he's capable of nabbing an All-American nod before this thing is done. Great win to (eventually) take into Chapel Hill vs. Kraisser.

* Can't shake the feeling that Mack is the key for us making an ACC title sweep. Us, Maryland, and Virginia are going to have multiple guys claim indiv. titles. Is he going to be remembered as merely a Keystone Classic champ or an ACC champ? We'll see. I think he's capable of an ACC title, which would be incredible considering where he was as a wrestler two years ago.

* Hail Jeffery Wilps for raising a Pitt family. His middle son did what Captains do - he seized his team a lead they'd never relinquish. His success rate with leg shots was truly poor, but I think this match shows how much his overall skill level has grown from even last year.

* Fitting that the Western PA kid, Bonaccorsi, clinched this title for us. He went to his offense a quite a bit tonight. The vibe I get is they want him to be great, not good. Look out if he gets there.

* Speaking of great - Max Thomusseit. That kid is going to the NCAA Finals next year. Elite balance. Elite strength. In the meanntime, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

* I predicted Tech would get 4 max. They got 4 over a backup, an injured guy, and two supremely dubious wins over Freshman. They're clearly using the Northwestern model. They know their talent isn't good enough to beat the best of the best, so they try max out their physical ability and take that as far as they can. Obviously, it didn't go far enough tonight. And may it never.

Hail to Pitt. Hail to the ACC champs.

Re: 149 - Neibert (VT) dec Racciato (Pitt) 6-4 ..... Pitt up 9-3 ......

I believe the ref blew that one. It looked like he was giving Pitt the reversal, but apparently he didn't or he took it back. It definitely was a reversal. The problem was that the ref would have to give Pitt back points if it was a reversal. I think he chickened out and did not overrule his own call. Too bad he couldn't have found a way to make it a tie and let the wrestlers decide it in overtime.

Originally posted by thom67:
I believe the ref blew that one. It looked like he was giving Pitt the reversal, but apparently he didn't or he took it back. It definitely was a reversal. The problem was that the ref would have to give Pitt back points if it was a reversal. I think he chickened out and did not overrule his own call. Too bad he couldn't have found a way to make it a tie and let the wrestlers decide it in overtime.
That's what I thought ..... it was a reversal for Racciato and he should also have had back points and won the match ..... the announcers saw it the same way.

Couple of tough matches coming up next week ......

Friday 2/14/14 7PM against Edinboro

Saturday 2/15/14 7PM against Michigan

Both matches at home and both on ESPN3 !

I just don't understand how anyone could look at that replay and say it wasn't a reversal. I can see missing it in real time, but how can you say mikey didn't have a reversal when the other guy let go? Thank god it didn't cost us.

Originally posted by bwh05:
I just don't understand how anyone could look at that replay and say it wasn't a reversal. I can see missing it in real time, but how can you say mikey didn't have a reversal when the other guy let go? Thank god it didn't cost us.
Agree ..... it looked like the ref blew the call and refused to correct his mistake after reviewing the replay ..... are we missing something ?

By the way bwh05, as you know the baseball teams starts play next weekend, I'm going to start a thread about the team soon and will have some questions about them that I hope you can answer !

This post was edited on 2/8 12:54 AM by goalieman

NCAA review ?

I know it doesn't impact the match, but does the NCAA review the referees in wrestling? Does PITT have the ability to challenge the decision? As one of you indicated, the referee on the mat is the last guy that should overturn his own call! I would hope the NCAA would take a look back at their procedures regarding an official review and make a change next season.

At least in the NCAAs they have extra officials so the ref can be overruled. Some spectators hate all the conferences among officials at the NCAAs, but I believe they should get it right. That wasn't a judgment call either, like stalling, and in the NCAAs the extra officials can determine that too.

That was a call that could have been -- and was -- missed in real time, but it is absurd he refused to overrule it when it was so obvious on the replay. The commentator at first didn't think it should be reversed but as soon as he saw the replay he realized it was a reversal. The ref had to know he was wrong. Thom67 might be correct: He didn't want to give Mikey both the reversal and the back points. But, the back points were his. I have watched the slow motion replay 5 times and there is no doubt in my mind that Mikey initiated the move where both wrestlers had their backs exposed because he assumed he had the reversal. (Of course I admit to not being objective on that.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT