ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling fans, I am afraid to say this but

Dallas Burgher

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
I think the calls in the NCAA finals on Tyler were correct. I don't like it but that is how I see it. Let the beatings begin.

Originally posted by Dallas Burgher:
I think the calls in the NCAA finals on Tyler were correct. I don't like it but that is how I see it. Let the beatings begin.
I agree on the two calls at the end ...... the only question that I have is the validity of the warning for stalling earlier in the match against Tyler that eventually led to a penalty point for the stalling at 3 seconds when Wilps couldn't move up on the opponents legs.

They were absolutely correct - just hate seeing the kid earn the leg and get hit for stalling because he wasn't able to get to a specific zone of his fleeing, writhing opponent's body.

He was clearly attempting to set up an offensive, point-scoring move. One he had enough ability/talent to convert on. There was no intent to delay. Even if there was - to be in that situtation, a situation where he has a clear advantage over his opponent, means action occurred allowing the advantage to be gained, thus nullifying any sense of delay. Illogical rule, not a bad call.

I don't know how many second period stall warnings were issued to seeded wrestlers over the three days, but that was the first one I witnessed. And, in fairness, it was more than earned. Which stings because Tyler actually has offense and because I've seen the conservative-approach-without-points-on-the-board too many times from Pitt at Nationals.

Give credit to the kid for battling to get there when literally only he thought it was possible and also for taking the long view after the most brutal loss I've witnessed in my decade+ as a Pitt fan.

My gripes with the calls, besides the fact that the new rules are stupid, are these:

(1) In the 174 pound division none of the top wrestlers were very active or offense minded. Everyone played it conservative, trying to capitalize on one or two shots or an opponent's mistake. Kokesh took three shots in three rounds against Tyler. The Oklahoma State kid didn't take one until the last 30 seconds when he was losing. Matt Brown is a master of the half-shot. He never gets in deep enough to score but it makes it appear that he is being active when he isn't. His success is based on his riding ability and his ability to counter. Evans from Iowa versus Brown in the semifinals was a match in ehich not one real shot was taken for the first 6 minutes. Yet, the only one of the top 174 pounders who got called for stalling was Tyler, and he got called for it the first time because of Sanderson's non-stop complaining.

(2) Did you actually hear the five-count against Tyler? I didn't. I didn't hear it more than a few times in all of the other matches, and there were ten times as many matches when the wrestler in control had the down wrestler by the leg. Under the rule, the ref has to verbally make the count: "one thousand and one, one thousand and two," etc. if he doesn't then no point can be awarded.

(3) There is no question that at some point Tyler clasped his hands. But, was it before or after time expired? No penalty point was called on the mat. The expert commentators replayed the final three seconds four or five times from two different camera angles and couldn't determine whether the infraction came before or after the clock expired. If there has to be indisputable evidence to overturn the no-call on the mat, there wasn't. Again, I think Sanderson got that point for Brown.

To me, it was like traveling in basketball. It happens a lot and most of the time it is ignored. The calls made against Tyler were not consistent with the way the rest of the matches were officiated in the tournament. And that is the real shame. That is why two former NCAA champions, Askew and Nelson, tweeted right after it happened that the decision was a joke. Not because they technically were not penalties but because the calls were inconsistent with the way the tournsment was officiated.

Yes, Tyler has offense. More than most of the 174 pounders. But when they all are being conservative, waiting for you to shoot and get too deep so they can score on a counter, then it is foolhardy to play into their hands. That is what Tyler would have done if he had been too aggressive. He picked his spots and got takedowns when he needed them. Watch the Evans v a Brown match if you want to see two wrestlers do absolutely nothing on offense for an entire match. Yet neither got penalized for stalling.

Not sure what replay you saw, but to set the record straight, the replay on ESPN shown to viewers while the refs were reviewing the video had the clock at :01 with the hands touching. Unfortunately, there was no question about it.

Yes Tyler's hands were touching. They were touching because they were touching because Brown was holding them together and then dropped to his knees to get the call.

Re: Not how I saw it.

However I could be wrong. I think the tape shows UPS wrestler on mat for a short period and then points to Tyler's hands, not instantly.

Re: Not how I saw it.

It's not insanity it's what happened. It's also genius by Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT