ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling

Nish67

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
For those of you in the know, can you predict the starting lineup for this year and next. Is Roberts eligible this year or must he sit out a year? Curious to see when and where Solomon breaks into the lineup.

Nish,

Here's my take:

125-Forys/Roberts
133-Nick Zanetta
141-Bright
149-Racciato
157-Garbinsky
165-Wiercioch
174-Tyler Wilps
184-Max Thomusseit
197-Bonaccorsi or Ryan Solomon
Hwt-John Rizzo or Joel Yahner? Maybe Solomon moves up if he doesnt beat Bono at 197?

Roberts needs to become academically eligible so hopefully he's cleared for January.

Thanks Mike. I expected to see Cody in the 165 slot. I am disappointed that Morelli will be left out. He was one guy that I was rooting for last year. At the beginning of the year he didn't look skilled enough but as the season went on it looked like he was applying a lot of what he'd been learning. He looks strong enough to handle most opponents but he didn't seem to have the technique to win matches. Then it seemed the light went on and, to me, he looked better as the season went on. Don't know if he could drop down to 157 and give Garbinsky some competition.

Other question would be at 133. Zanetta is the only guy on the roster listed at that weight which begs the question if any othe 125 pounders could move up and give him some competition. Specifically, if Roberts becomes eligible, is Forys good enough to challenge Zanetta? I know Nick had a good summer and will likely do well for us but having competition in your wrestling room is needed to really improve.

Originally posted by New York Panther:
Is Nyama no longer on the team? What happened to him?
He transferred to Grand Canyon University. I don't know why, but I just remember him being a really high recruit.

Gino tore his pectoral muscle so hes out for the year. Godwin had a bunch of disciplinary issues so he wasn't welcome back to the team.

Nick wrestles bright everyday....wrestle offs are tomorrow morning. We will know more about some weight classes....

Well Iguess he did. I worked out at the same gym as him here is Somerset.

He really snuck into town. Maybe they couldnt announce it due to NCAA rules. He has to sit a year doesn't he?

Re: Well Iguess he did. I worked out at the same gym as him here is Somerset.

No you don't have to sit a year in wrestling. If he does well enough in school he'll be eligible in the 2nd semester.

From what I heard, Roberts will be eligible in mid December. He had surgery on his hand and should be getting the pins taken out, next week.

Pitt vs Virginia Tech February 6

I thought this was really interesting. They are calling it Art meets Art. The VT wrestling team will be using the new Moss Arts Center for 3 matches. Pitt will be one of those matches. Here is a video from the VT website.

Not sure what I think of it, but interesting. They are selling box seating and charging $15 or $20 for each match. Normally VT doesn't charge for matches, but this new Arts Center is ridiculous.

VT vs Pitt wrestling

Re: Pitt vs Virginia Tech February 6

Ya I heard about that. They really want to beat us in the worst way so they're pulling out all the stops.

Re: A stage setting looks weird to me. Sound of Music yes, Collegiate

Originally posted by Somerset Panther:
wrestling not so much.
I guess they are really trying to spotlight the Moss Center, or find ways to pay the bills to heat the place.

itll be interesting to see what the attendance is for the first match. I will go to the Pitt match, just to see what it's going to look like from that perspective.

Any updates on the wrestle-off's? I know Blue-Gold was cancelled but wondering if there was any clarity to who the starters would be

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT