ADVERTISEMENT

WVU baseball coach pushing for April-August baseball season

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
It would only make sense given that half the teams can't play home games or practice outside for the first month of the college baseball season, but the 2 huge obstacles are Major League Baseball, which likes to get their June draft picks down to Rookie Ball or Short-Season A ball and also the various prestigious summer baseball leagues for the undergrads. To an extent, college baseball is held hostage by MLB/Minor leagues and the summer leagues.............but nobody really cares about college baseball so there is no real uproar to change anything.

I believe that college baseball can be a revenue sport in more places than just the SEC and some Pac 12 schools if was played over the summer. The weather is obviously much nicer in the summer months but there's also less competition. Perhaps some Pitt fans would turn out for a Pitt/UNC series on a 75 degree night in July instead of a 45 degree night in April when the Penguins are still captivating the interest of Yinzers.

Its my thought that the final game of the College World Series should take place about a week or less before the start of college football season. That way, that whole summer can be devoted to college baseball and with less TV competition, maybe ESPN or FS1 or whoever starts airing more games and it can develop a following.

How would you determine eligibility if it was played in the summer? Must a player have been enrolled in the spring term?

I don't see it happening. Cold weather colleges should focus on hockey.

Too expensive. And, if you are a supporter of the little schools, it's [hockey] a niche sport for them. The big schools coming in will eventually squeeze them out.

Probably correct about baseball not ever being moved. Even Delaney and the Big 10 have failed at that.

Originally posted by jtownknowitall:
How would you determine eligibility if it was played in the summer? Must a player have been enrolled in the spring term?

I don't see it happening. Cold weather colleges should focus on hockey.
You have to be taking 1 class (underclassman) or have graduated in May/June (senior). It would be 2 semesters like almost every other sport. No difference really. What happens if a college basketball graduates in December?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT