ADVERTISEMENT

You guys hear the pregame talking heads saying that AD

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
has signaled that he might hang it up if the Rams win. Go out on top.

That seems unlikely to me.

I can’t blame him if he did. He got his ring. He is still healthy. He has made a ton of money. Why not walk away while you can? It is a brutal game and honestly what more does he have to accomplish? He has had a HOF career and won a ton of hardware. Long term I think it better to retire a few years too early then few to late.

It just seems a bit odd to call it quits with many years left. I’m not bashing anyone. I just think it seems like he has been healthy, strong, and demonstrates many more years of top level play.
It’s called going out on top… I can’t blame him if he does really

Dude won the game with that 4th and 1 play. Got his ring. Lock for 1st ballot hall of fame. Will go down a one of the 10-15 or so best defensive players ever. Hang it up and come coach at Pitt.

He'd be very smart to retire now and get on with his life's work. He's already had his body beaten and concussions and other long term injuries can and will ruin your life if you don't do something to end them. Especially the concussions. I hope he's smart and tells the Rams he's had enough and doesn't want to do this football stuff any longer.

He has since said that he's not going to retire while McVay is there and the Rams are playing at a high level. Wouldn't blame him if he did step away- he has nothing left to prove in the NFL.

It’s called going out on top… I can’t blame him if he does really
I can't either but I honestly don't see it happening. He has 2 years left on his massive contract. and would forfeit about 50 mill if he hangs it up before that. The guranteed piece of the contract has already paid out. I know he doesn't "need the money" but unless he has a very compelling reason--a health issue or family issue--to forefeit 50 mill, I don't see that happening.

He'd be very smart to retire now and get on with his life's work. He's already had his body beaten and concussions and other long term injuries can and will ruin your life if you don't do something to end them. Especially the concussions. I hope he's smart and tells the Rams he's had enough and doesn't want to do this football stuff any longer.
He's doing his life's work earning 135 mill contract as the best defensive lineman in football. And he has been relatively injury-free in his career, no concussions that I'm aware of other than the one he gave that clown outside the club in Pittsburgh.

Dude won the game with that 4th and 1 play. Got his ring. Lock for 1st ballot hall of fame. Will go down a one of the 10-15 or so best defensive players ever. Hang it up and come coach at Pitt.
Not every outstanding player is cut out for coaching.

Not every outstanding player is cut out for coaching.
Agreed. Magic Johnson was a terrible coach because he couldn't understand why players wouldn't see the court like he did. I was mostly joking, but I think AD would be pretty successful if that's what he wanted to do. He's done plenty of 1:1 work with Pitt recruits and whatnot.

Agreed. Magic Johnson was a terrible coach because he couldn't understand why players wouldn't see the court like he did. I was mostly joking, but I think AD would be pretty successful if that's what he wanted to do. He's done plenty of 1:1 work with Pitt recruits and whatnot.
The classic example was Ted Williams as a baseball manager. Nobody on the teams he managed was another Ted Williams.

Reactions: hoclaw and Ski11585
He's doing his life's work earning 135 mill contract as the best defensive lineman in football. And he has been relatively injury-free in his career, no concussions that I'm aware of other than the one he gave that clown outside the club in Pittsburgh.

LOL! Why do you guys that post on this board think that football or sports is a person's life's work or the be all and end all???? Donald has a lot of good things to do in his life. Football players only play football for a very small portion of their lives, most only for 3 to 5 years, if they're smart. It's meaningless. They can take the money they make and do something really constructive with it after they're done playing a game. Money can't buy you health.

Don't get me started on the concussion thing. It's way beyond what you think it is. No equipment that is made today will prevent or even significantly reduce the incidence of concussions in sports. The longer you play, including from pee-wee football on up, the better chance you have of suffering lifelong debilitating effects from a concussion. You have no knowledge of what causes concussions and what they are and do to a person's brain.

The sooner Donald quits football, the better for him. And he'll be fine after football and a lot happier.

LOL! Why do you guys that post on this board think that football or sports is a person's life's work or the be all and end all???? Donald has a lot of good things to do in his life. Football players only play football for a very small portion of their lives, most only for 3 to 5 years, if they're smart. It's meaningless. They can take the money they make and do something really constructive with it after they're done playing a game. Money can't buy you health.

Don't get me started on the concussion thing. It's way beyond what you think it is. No equipment that is made today will prevent or even significantly reduce the incidence of concussions in sports. The longer you play, including from pee-wee football on up, the better chance you have of suffering lifelong debilitating effects from a concussion. You have no knowledge of what causes concussions and what they are and do to a person's brain.

The sooner Donald quits football, the better for him. And he'll be fine after football and a lot happier.
I am reasonably confident that I have more knowledge of concussions and the biomechanics behind them, both from personal experience and from what I have done professionally for the past 28 years, than you could have or will ever have.

AD has never missed a game as a result of a concussion or concussion protocol that I'm aware of, in fact I'm not sure he has missed a game due to injury of any kind in his entire career. He's an intelligent guy and he knows himself and his state of mental and physical health, well-being and personal level of fulfillment and happiness a lot better than any message board poster, especially one who thinks his lifelong pursuit and passion is "meaningless". He will know when it's time to hang it up. If that's now, it's the right time because he feels it's the right time. If it's 5 years from now, same thing.

I am reasonably confident that I have more knowledge of concussions and the biomechanics behind them, both from personal experience and from what I have done professionally for the past 28 years, than you could have or will ever have.

AD has never missed a game as a result of a concussion or concussion protocol that I'm aware of, in fact I'm not sure he has missed a game due to injury of any kind in his entire career. He's an intelligent guy and he knows himself and his state of mental and physical health, well-being and personal level of fulfillment and happiness a lot better than any message board poster, especially one who thinks his lifelong pursuit and passion is "meaningless". He will know when it's time to hang it up. If that's now, it's the right time because he feels it's the right time. If it's 5 years from now, same thing.

So I take it you're a neuropathologist or neurosurgeon? If you're not, you have no room to talk about concussions. That's where I get my information first hand.

You can think anything you want about how meaningful sports is. In the end, it is just entertainment and a pastime, nothing more. For the players, it's a temporary means of providing income to entertain people. The people who benefit the most are team owners.

It's about priorities and perspective. Smarter players, like I think Aaron Donald is, have their priorities in line and view the game as a place to keep warm until they begin their life's work. Football, then, becomes less important. As it should be.

He's already made north of $100m in contracts and endorsements. If he wants to call it quits he should have plenty of money unless he's been foolish with it.

He takes a beating every game in the trenches. Imagine fighting 1, 2, and 3 behemoth lineman every play of every game. None of us know what he feels like when he wakes up the next day after a game. The fact that he's even talking about it tells you he won't be playing into his late 30s.

All that being said, I'll guess he won't retire yet. These guys have a hard time walking away when it's been their life for so many years. Stafford has some good years left so they'll be a contender for the next few years.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
He takes a beating every game in the trenches. Imagine fighting 1, 2, and 3 behemoth lineman every play of every game. None of us know what he feels like when he wakes up the next day after a game. The fact that he's even talking about it tells you he won't be playing into his late 30s.
No more Ernie Stautners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT