ADVERTISEMENT

Your Pitt memories, superlatives...

pittjagger

Scholarship
Feb 3, 2005
Curious about your personal experiences and opinions on the following.

Your first Pitt football game...

Your favorite Pitt football memory...

Your favorite Pitt player....

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were...

The most underrated Pitt player in history is...

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..."

Always interested to see the generational mix on the board and how that impacts opinions. Thanks for playing along!

Your first Pitt football game... pitt 36 wvu 35, 1970 with my dad what a comeback

Your favorite Pitt football memory... 1976

Your favorite Pitt player.... Hugh Green

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... Hugh, Marino, Dorsett

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... don;t know, maybe Trocano

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." consistently top 15, sometimes top 5 ranking

Your first Pitt football game...1976, vs. Army.. I was 7....loved it.. and we became No, 1 that day. I was with my dad, grandpap (who was the plumber at Pitt Stadium) and cousin, Jeff.

Your favorite Pitt football memory... Pitt 10- PSU 0, packed stadium, defensive struggle, Oakland was a madhouse, and I was a freshman, who got into the original "Sanctuary" at 18 that night.

Your favorite Pitt player....#99, the baddest cat.. HUGH! Green

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were...Green, Fitzgerald, Dorsett..

The most underrated Pitt player in history is..Al Wenglikowski, or Tom Flynn.

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..."dominating all inferior opponents, and perennial top 15.. a team no one wants to play

"pittjagger, post: 229755, member: 1912"]Curious about your personal experiences and opinions on the following.
It was 1963 Pitt beat Army 28-0 Just about 10 Years Old. In High School our football team was invited to Pitt-Navy and Pitt won 10-8.

It was three games 1973 Pitt Beat Northwestern with Tony Dorsett during its rebirth Season under Johnny Majors, sat with Fiji House Fraternity in the Student's Section.

Second Game was when I had Season Tickets in 1974, and the game was the USC Game and remember How much Bigger the Trojan's looked compared to Pitt young team. Yet, Pitt played them tough losing 7-16! Still thought Pitt was just getting better and USC was a Power House those days too!

Third and best game was Army 1976 when the Announcer kept giving Pitt Stadium Fans updates on the Michigan-Purdue Game. Pitt was #2 and Michigan #1 and the announcer kept updating the score since the Pitt Game was well in hand beating Army 37-7.

Michigan played at Purdue and heavily favored and had not lost a game to Purdue since 1966. Michigan took a 7-0 lead in the first quarter but the Pitt Stadium Announcer gave the Half-Time Score and Purdue held a 13-7 lead. As the Michigan-Game progressed, the Pitt Announcer kept giving an update. Michigan took a 14-13 lead.

However, The Pitt Announcer later said Purdue kicked a Field Goal and it was a.....and he waited and...... waited........ and then yelled out, was good Purdue 16-14. Pitt Stadium erupted into cheers but those Wolverines were not done yet, and we always knew the Big Ten was owned by Big Blue and Buckeyes.We were all in the dark and dependent on the Announcer's Updates. We were just Wish & Hope the score would stay 16-14 Purdue. It had been Decades since PITT would be #1 Nationally again?

The Army Game was wrapping up, when the announcer broke into the Loudspeaker......and a kind of big hush came over the Pitt Stadium as the Announcer said, I cannot recall every word but it went like this..........."Attention, Attention, the Michigan Purdue game just ended...........Michigan with just nine second left in the game, kicked a 37 Yard Field Goal ............and we all cringed thinking it was another win for Big Blue that had a great Team too.......so we just waited with baited breath ready for the score coming out for Michigan.........and there was even deader silence in the entire Stadium with our hands went up clasped like in prayers and crossed fingers just waiting and waiting..........as the Announcer held up longer............ with even mores seconds........ and then finally yelled out..............AND MISSED!!!! PURDUE WINS 16-14!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the Pitt Fans in the entire Pitt Stadium started hugging each others and then shouting "WE ARE #1" with our One Finger in the Air, repeating it over and over at the Top Of Our Lungs. I was never so happy at any Pitt Game since and Pitt went to #1 that week and never looked back!

Pitt went on to beat WVU and Penn State and Georgia and won an Eastern School National Championship since Syracuse in 1960 and Six Years before Paterno won his first at Penn State with some help from Refs!

I only hope now every Pitt Fan & Lair Poster experiences such an event in their lifetime too!!!!

1. Tony Dorsett especially in the 1976 Syracuse Game when Pitt just stopped Cuse from making a First Down in Pitt Territory but Al Romano heard the play and was prepared and pointed where the run was going and stopped them cold on 4th down. However, Pitt was 33 Yards away from a badly needed First Down to run out the clock of the game to stay undefeated. Tony took the Ball and got 34 Yards and preserved the Win!

2. Hugh Green-Watching him play was just pure pleasure for all 4 years!

3. Aaron Donald last year at Pitt the same as above!

4. Larry Fitzgerald as well, pure joy!

5. Dan Marino from Freshmen to Senior, no one threw better and faster!

Tony Dorsett
High Green
Larry Fitzgerald

Curtis Martin!

....the Top 25 every year for at least 10 years or more with some Top 10 years and one more shot at a National Championship and winning it against WVU or Penn State!

Always interested to see the generational mix on the board and how that impacts opinions. Thanks for playing along![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Always interested to see the generational mix on the board and how that impacts opinions. Thanks for playing along!
1963 v STATE. PITT22 STATE COLLEGE 21

1977 Sugar Bowl to capture MNC

DORSETT and it ain't even close

Dorsett , Hugh and FITZ

CARLTON WILLIAMSON....

To be above 500. Always...And in Position to win our division in the ACC most yrs

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly

Your first Pitt football game...1968....don't recall who killed us that day.

Your favorite Pitt football memory...Pitt/Army 1976....when they announced the Purdue/UM score

Your favorite Pitt player....The Hawk

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were...TD, Hugh & Danny

The most underrated Pitt player in history is...Jimbo Covert, Troy Benson & Adam Walker....can't decide

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..."The Beast of the East"....again

Your first Pitt football game…

1973 Navy | Walked with my grandfather from the train station downtown following the cadets marching. Still gives makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

----------

Your favorite Pitt football memory…

The win over UPS in 1976 | Night game at Three Rivers

---------
Your favorite Pitt player….

Hawk

---------

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were…

Hawk, Green & Marino

----------

The most underrated Pitt player in history is…

Gordon Jones

----------

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be…in the running to win the ACC every season"

Your first Pitt football game…

1973 Navy | Walked with my grandfather from the train station downtown following the cadets marching. Still gives makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

----------

Your favorite Pitt football memory…

The win over UPS in 1976 | Night game at Three Rivers

---------
Your favorite Pitt player….

Hawk

---------

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were…

Hawk, Green & Marino

----------

The most underrated Pitt player in history is…

Gordon Jones

----------

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be…in the running to win the ACC every season"
;)Hawk! You know your stuff! :rolleyes:

:DGordon Jones had one of best Punt Run Backs in Pitt History along with Revis!:rolleyes:

Captain,
Your description of 1976 Pitt-Army game brought back great memories. I completely forgot about the PA announcer's dramatic updates. I can still remember the joy after the last update (recall we had only recently suffered through the Hart and Depasque years and I never thought Pitt would ever be No. 1. Great times!

Your first Pitt football game... Pitt v Rutgers at Pitt Stadium November 9, 1991

Your favorite Pitt football memory... Sitting in Mylan Puskar's Box for 13-9

Your favorite Pitt player.... Currently James Conner all-time Taylor Palko

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... saw live were Shady, Aaron Donald, Antonio Bryant (was overseas and never actually saw Fitz play)

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... not sure he was underrated but I would love to see JP Holtz get more touches this year.

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." Exactly where MSU currently is in the Big 10

Your first Pitt football game... honestly can't remember.

Your favorite Pitt football memory... Ironhead running all over Miami in the rain was great but beating Georgia on the Marino to Brown pass was incredible.

Your favorite Pitt player.... Bill Fralic

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... Marino, Fitzgerald, & Revis

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... John Congemi (just thought he was better than he got credit for)

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." Competing for the ACC championship.

Your first Pitt football game... 1999 Pitt 30 - Bowling Green 10

Your favorite Pitt football memory... Revis punt return against WVU. I've watched a couple AFC title games and countless big Pitt games at Heinz and never heard the crowd louder.

Your favorite Pitt player.... Fitz. Knowing that when Pitt was inside the 10 that a fade route was coming and the other team could not stop it. Thing of beauty.

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... Fitz, Donald, Shady

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... Scott Mckillop

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." I want Pitt to have the identity that Narduzzi pictures the team to have. Hard nose, smash mouth.

Your first Pitt football game... Pitt at Maryland 1983....Fralic was awesome but Walker (I think it was him) fumbled option pitch going wide left a about the MD fifteen yard line on a game winning drive. I can remember Fralic taking his blocking opponent consistently and pushing him into a linebacker to take out two players on the same play. It was awesome.

Your favorite Pitt football memory...Hanging from the cross bar after the 1987 10-0 win against State College.

Your favorite Pitt player....Dan or Hugh

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were...Fralic, Dan, Larry Fitz

The most underrated Pitt player in history is...Zeke Gadson.......he was a sack machine from the outside on that 87 defense

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." a winner----top 25 expectations every year and no more of this snatching defeat from the jaws of victory a la Houston, ND, UConn slide, Iowa games of recent memory..........

Your first Pitt football game... pitt 36 wvu 35, 1970 with my dad what a comeback

Your favorite Pitt football memory... 1976

Your favorite Pitt player.... Hugh Green

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... Hugh, Marino, Dorsett

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... don;t know, maybe Trocano

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." consistently top 15, sometimes top 5 ranking

Your favorite Pitt football memory...77 vs PSU--damn, damn cold and snowy..don't ask me if Elliot Walker got in as I was in the opposite end zone in the hill....

Your favorite Pitt player....Hugh Green

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were...Dorsett, Green, Fitz

The most underrated Pitt player in history is...Jerry Olsavsky

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." Feared!

First game in person: Florida State 1983

Best (in person) memory: VT win in 2003. I missed only 15 games over the years but as fate has it, this includes the 10-0 PSU win in 88 and the final game at Pitt Stadium (biz trips). I watched the latter at hotel bar in LA with a bunch of USC fans who loved that we beat ND. I assume the latter game would have topped the list if I had been there. Still pretty cool. But Lou Polite's winning TD in the VT game was still an awesome moment. I've been to Steeler playoff game wins at Heinz and still maintain Heinz has never rocked harder than that VT game.

Fav player: Fitz is close but gotta say HUUUGGGHHH. Too young to have seen him in person but idolized him on TV. Seemed like a superhero. Nearly unstoppable. He's why I became a Pitt fan as a young kid. Was a Buckeye fan up to then. If we ever truly kick the bucket as a program (certainly we've come close, in 96 anyway), guess I'd revert to OSU.

Best three players I saw (in person): Ironhead, Curtis Martin, Fitz. Shady, Donald, and Revis not far back.

Underrated? I'll say Tom Tumulty. He was a warrior on some really bad teams. Never got true due.

Where I'd like to see Pitt: There really is no reason Pitt couldn't get back to the levels of the early 80s / late 70s if the admin can see how great football can complement a great university (like, hey, my second fav, as an example). Instead of fighting and starving it.

Last edited:
Captain,
Your description of 1976 Pitt-Army game brought back great memories. I completely forgot about the PA announcer's dramatic updates. I can still remember the joy after the last update (recall we had only recently suffered through the Hart and Depasque years and I never thought Pitt would ever be No. 1. Great times!
Good to see you were there too, it is my greatest Pitt Moment and to think Pitt did it in 4 years after its Rebirth of CFB and hiring Johnny Majors that brought together some of the Best Assistants ever put together and many went on to become Head Coaches too!

Truly remarkable and without one NCAA Violation ever reported, investigated, or filed!

Paterno was furious about Pitt and this is when Penn State truly began their hatred, false rumors, attacks on academics, and outright envy of Pitt football and Paterno was behind many of those under-handed tactics.

Pitt and their fans always had great relations with Penn State and Penn State fans but they really hated and often lied about Pitt, all the while Gerry Sandusky was among them attacking young disadvantage boys and claiming to help them?

Gerry Sandusky was a dirty coach as well often having his Players poke at eyes on blocks, twists legs after tackles, and stepping on hands going back to a huddle.

In the end, Pitt actually helped Penn State earn a higher reputation and gain respect in the nation that led to their own National Titles in the 1980's but the 1976 Team grated on them forever more, and still do from the hated few still at State College!

Sandusky ended up a Life Felon and Paterno cried over his ruined Legacy as their Bad Karma came back on both of them, and brought shame to Penn State's Name by the way they acted against competitors like Pitt.

Now everyone on Rivals Big Ten Boards know the same truths about some few Penn State Posters full of hate and envy for anyone that dared to be better than Paterno's Public Relations Attack Machine.

Moreover, when Paterno ended the Pitt Series, it showed his petty and dark side was just reinforced and his Halo removed on a Mural that should erase him due to such poor sportsmanship behavior, putting his petty character ahead of CFB History Series between Pitt-Penn State.

As for Sandusky, today after being honored and given Penn State Professor Emeritus and State College Mural Status, and many other Honors and Awards, Penn State Fans blame only him and claim it was an unknown man that did bad deeds, but he was a Penn State Top Graduate, Alumnus, Coach, Professor, And Employee! Sandusky was as much as WE ARE......as anyone and that cannot be erased?

So much for a false slogan of Success With Honor that they did not live up to, and many children have Nightmares Today from such a Legacy of Shame while attempting to belittle and chase Pitt Football Program Fame!

The good news is that many Penn State fans now recognize that prior history under Paterno-Sandusky was false Swagger now turned into Humble Pie after Sanctions and only a few think they never loss their Swagger, but it is long gone with the arrogance and ignorance of the Paterno Era that is best now dead and buried.

Franklin is doing every thing possible to create a New Era and it is easier to admire Penn State Football again, now that they are under the same Laws, Rules, and Compliance's of all Football Programs.

Last edited:
Your first Pitt football game... 1999 Pitt 30 - Bowling Green 10

Your favorite Pitt football memory... Revis punt return against WVU. I've watched a couple AFC title games and countless big Pitt games at Heinz and never heard the crowd louder.

Your favorite Pitt player.... Fitz. Knowing that when Pitt was inside the 10 that a fade route was coming and the other team could not stop it. Thing of beauty.

During your time as a fan, the three best players you saw were... Fitz, Donald, Shady

The most underrated Pitt player in history is... Scott Mckillop

Finish this sentence. "In five years I want the Pitt football program to be..." I want Pitt to have the identity that Narduzzi pictures the team to have. Hard nose, smash mouth.
:rolleyes:RIGHT ON, LET IT BE WRITTEN AND LET IT BE DONE!:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT