ADVERTISEMENT

“Pittsburgh from the air in 1935...”

I don’t know if it’s because it’s in b&w, or it’s the perspective, but the terrain looks flat.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s in b&w, or it’s the perspective, but the terrain looks flat.

I think it's both. The distance from the subject and shooting in black and white really takes away the contrast. Many of the 10+ floor buildings, especially the darker ones, look the same height as two-story buildings even.

would love to know why this was classified. lol.
I would imagine it had to do with the mills and the infrastructure of the city, but this was way before WWII so I’m unsure myself.

Regardless, I think it’s funny that aerial photography was considered classified material, when someone today can look that up in about two seconds!

Reactions: pitt90seven
In 1935, one of our enemies couldn't just fly a camera over the country without some trouble. Getting caught with photos like this would have probably gotten some attention by the War Department for spying. No satellites, either.

anyone with a plane (and there were plenty) could have taken that picture. i'm sure there's a more interesting backstory.

anyone with a plane (and there were plenty) could have taken that picture. i'm sure there's a more interesting backstory.

Oh yeah, that's a good point but I don't know there were many flying that high. I think the quality of the photo has something to do with it, too, because I don't think it was just a "point-and-click" thing. Cameras were big and bulky at that time and there was a bit of effort to get the quality.

I'd definitely defer to anyone who had a better answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT