ADVERTISEMENT

1-3 without Hugley is to be expected

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Some of you guys need to calm down a bit. Everyone would have picked 1-3 in these first 4 without Hugley.....and I dont even count a 25% Hugley from the other night.

More than anything, the way the team has looked, even without Hugley has been terribly disappointing. The lack of defense and no offensive sets have already been beaten to death. Yes, major, major concerns there because if this team isnt going to defend and not run an offense, Hugley can only do so much. That said, we had the #3 picked team in the A10 beat without Hugley. VCU is a mid-level ACC team. I am sticking with my pick of 8-12 in the ACC. They could even go 9-11 or 10-10......if Hugley is at 100%. The ACC is terrible. The question is, what does Heather do at say, 15-16, 8-12?

Are you insane? Capel is the biggest loser in college basketball. The program is a joke and there is zero hope for the future while he's here. A joke of a program and a joke of a coach. If you can't see this, then you're the biggest homer on earth.

Some of you guys need to calm down a bit. Everyone would have picked 1-3 in these first 4 without Hugley.....and I dont even count a 25% Hugley from the other night.

More than anything, the way the team has looked, even without Hugley has been terribly disappointing. The lack of defense and no offensive sets have already been beaten to death. Yes, major, major concerns there because if this team isnt going to defend and not run an offense, Hugley can only do so much. That said, we had the #3 picked team in the A10 beat without Hugley. VCU is a mid-level ACC team. I am sticking with my pick of 8-12 in the ACC. They could even go 9-11 or 10-10......if Hugley is at 100%. The ACC is terrible. The question is, what does Heather do at say, 15-16, 8-12?
VCU played without a MUCH MUCH more valuable player in Baldwin. They’d be 1-3 with Hugley. He’s probably the most overrated player (only by you) in Pantherlair history. He will not play much if any this season

Also you said we win easily cause there an A-10 team dude we suck and Capel should have been fired last yr

The question is, what does Heather do at say, 15-16, 8-12?
I think we're better than some people here but I find that result unlikely optimism. That said, I'll play. If the team goes 15-16/8-12, and Capel doesn't have a mass exodus of transfers and keeps a good recruiting class, that would very likely save his job as it'd be a sign of progress. I think he loses his job if there is another late season collapse where we lose a bunch of games and players in February, March.

This team or any team coached by Capel will not win 8 ACC games.

Ask yourself this question. Who do you have more confidence in correcting their teams problems. Leonard Hamilton, Jim Boeheim, Jeff Capel.

I think we're better than some people here but I find that result unlikely optimism. That said, I'll play. If the team goes 15-16/8-12, and Capel doesn't have a mass exodus of transfers and keeps a good recruiting class, that would very likely save his job as it'd be a sign of progress. I think he loses his job if there is another late season collapse where we lose a bunch of games and players in February, March.
What evidence do you see that we're better than what people are saying we got blown out by west virginia and Michigan,and got beat by an A-10 TEAM

Also you said we win easily cause there an A-10 team dude we suck and Capel should have been fired last yr

When I thought Hugley was playing. I didnt know VCU was missing their best player also. Still, we played even with a mid-level ACC team

Sorry, but as I see them,
VCU with their missing
best player, and Pitt not
having Hugley, both are
not mid level ACC teams.

Ace Baldwin was worth 2.8 WAR last year
John Hugley was worth 2.7 WAR last year

The missing players were a wash.

For reference, elite big man Oscar Tshibwe was worth 8.8 WAR last year. THAT is what an elite big does.

Ace Baldwin was worth 2.8 WAR last year
John Hugley was worth 2.7 WAR last year

The missing players were a wash.

For reference, elite big man Oscar Tshibwe was worth 8.8 WAR last year. THAT is what an elite big does.

Ok. But Pitt and VCU were even. VCU will go 12-6 in the A10 and would probably go 10-10 or 9-11 in the ACC. Pitt, I will say 8-12.

What doe VCU go in the ACC? The league sucks. They can beat the BC's, Lou's, and win a fair share at home

Ok. But Pitt and VCU were even. VCU will go 12-6 in the A10 and would probably go 10-10 or 9-11 in the ACC. Pitt, I will say 8-12.

What doe VCU go in the ACC? The league sucks. They can beat the BC's, Lou's, and win a fair share at home
They can. Pitt can’t. Hugley and Pitt suck

What evidence do you see that we're better than what people are saying we got blown out by west virginia and Michigan,and got beat by an A-10 TEAM
Hugely was hurt, the twins showed more promise tonight, and they're still figuring out a rotation. Which is possible because they're deeper than the last four years. Please don't take this as me saying it's a good team; we're going to again lose the majorityy of our games I think.

If John hugely were Dejuan Blair he couldn’t help this team enough to make the tournament. Dejuan Blair would put up 20 points and 20 rebounds on Hugley every night.

They can. Pitt can’t. Hugley and Pitt suck

But you are agreeing with me that VCU is a mid-level ACC team. And we were even with them. If Pitt lost a close one to Wake tonight, I dont think people would be reacting this harshly. Pitt may go on to be terrible but there is plenty of time to lose your mind over this team. Going 1-3 without your best player and nearly beating a mid-level ACC team isn't the time yet.

But you are agreeing with me that VCU is a mid-level ACC team. And we were even with them. If Pitt lost a close one to Wake tonight, I dont think people would be reacting this harshly. Pitt may go on to be terrible but there is plenty of time to lose your mind over this team. Going 1-3 without your best player and nearly beating a mid-level ACC team isn't the time yet.
They can because their best player is a guard that they were missing. Bigs are a luxury, not a necessity. Get that thru your feeble mind. The best big in college hoops lost to a bunch of guards from St Peter’s in round 1 last year and he’s 4x the player Hugley is.

They can because their best player is a guard that they were missing. Bigs are a luxury, not a necessity. Get that thru your feeble mind. The best big in college hoops lost to a bunch of guards from St Peter’s in round 1 last year and he’s 4x the player Hugley is.

ACC BAD

People are forgetting we went 6-14 last year and this team is better (if Hugley gets healthy) and the ACC is worse

When I thought Hugley was playing. I didnt know VCU was missing their best player also. Still, we played even with a mid-level ACC team

According to Pomeroy, at this point VCU is ranked #91.

That would place them at #10in the ACC ahead of Florida State (105), Boston College (106), Georgia Tech (114), Pitt (126) and Louisville (128).

At #9 is Wake Forest at 76.

So if that mid-level, then so be it.

For what it's worth, Northwestern is #55 and Vanderbilt is #86.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
ADVERTISEMENT