3. Ohio State .862
4. Oklahoma .809
5. Georgia .767
6. LSU .758
7. Oregon .732
8. Wisconsin .731
9. Stanford .712
10. Oklahoma State .703
The first thing that jumps out to me is that almost every school on this, sans Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma State, has gone through coaching changes during the past 10 years; some even multiple. A good foundation (funding, administrative support, stability) are crucial if you want to succeed at the top.

Last edited:
The first thing that jumps out to me is that almost every school on this, sans Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma State, has gone through coaching coaches during the past 10 years; some even multiple. A good foundation (funding, administrative support, stability) are crucial if you want to succeed at the top.

Agreed. The bottom 3 are realistic goals for Pitt to emulate from a funding and system standpoint. There are several here that have hired coaches that were developed in the system. Dabo, Day, Chryst and Shaw. Chryst and Shaw being from those Pitt should look to emulate. Since they are more realistically light Pitt in funding capability. That said I can’t think of an assistant on staff currently that would be a decent head coach outside of maybe Partridge, but he didn’t do well as a head coach at FAU.

Agreed. The bottom 3 are realistic goals for Pitt to emulate from a funding and system standpoint. There are several here that have hired coaches that were developed in the system. Dabo, Day, Chryst and Shaw. Chryst and Shaw being from those Pitt should look to emulate. Since they are more realistically light Pitt in funding capability. That said I can’t think of an assistant on staff currently that would be a decent head coach outside of maybe Partridge, but he didn’t do well as a head coach at FAU.
The only way to get to that list is be 100% committed to both academics and Athletics. Stanford kills it in so many sports it’s amazing. Wisconsin also killing it I’m so many sports. There would have to be nothing but full on full commitment from the entire university where academics nor integrity are compromised. The fan support would have to also increase dramatically. Not just financially but show up for everything. There are too many schools that could slide in there but it would be revolving. The top tier not going anywhere.

The only way to get to that list is be 100% committed to both academics and Athletics. Stanford kills it in so many sports it’s amazing. Wisconsin also killing it I’m so many sports. There would have to be nothing but full on full commitment from the entire university where academics nor integrity are compromised. The fan support would have to also increase dramatically. Not just financially but show up for everything. There are too many schools that could slide in there but it would be revolving. The top tier not going anywhere.

Stanford is also an extremely well-funded university with a wealthy fan base/alumni.. That being said, I believe they are definitely one of the universities we should be looking at. No reason we can't win consistently if Stanford and Northwestern can.

One thing those two schools have done is hire and keep great coaches for 10+ years in Shaw and Fitzgerald. Finding a coach who wants to stay long-term is definitely helpful.

Only Stanford and Oklahoma are non land grant schools. It helps with money if you start out with a bunch of land from the federal government.

Only Stanford and Oklahoma are non land grant schools. It helps with money if you start out with a bunch of land from the federal government.
Clemson isn't a land grant school, is it?

I think the most interesting thing from this list is the fact that three of the top 10 winningest teams over the past decade haven't really been in serious consideration for a playoff spot in the final poll.

Reactions: pbrad

I think the most interesting thing from this list is the fact that three of the top 10 winningest teams over the past decade haven't really been in serious consideration for a playoff spot in the final poll.
Yes, Clemson is a land grant school.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

It is. I was quite surprised to learn it was.

I think Pitt is closer than you might think. Heather Lyke is designing it that way. I am not sure about the fans showing up, but I think there is more an emphasis on academics and integrity in the athletic programs than at any point I have known. I also don’t think Stanford sells out. Wisconsin has probably been the most consistent football program over the last 30 years.

Didn't Stanford cut a heap of sports due to Covid budget related issues?

I think Pitt is closer than you might think. Heather Lyke is designing it that way. I am not sure about the fans showing up, but I think there is more an emphasis on academics and integrity in the athletic programs than at any point I have known. I also don’t think Stanford sells out. Wisconsin has probably been the most consistent football program over the last 30 years.
I don’t think you realize just how far we are. List the last 10 win seasons we have had.
I am all for integrity and academic focus. But we are no where near the athletic program of Wisconsin or Stanford. There are a lot more programs ahead of us with far better 10 year win records.

Last edited:
1. Alabama .914
2. Clemson .870
3. Ohio State .862
4. Oklahoma .809
5. Georgia .767
6. LSU .758
7. Oregon .732
8. Wisconsin .731
9. Stanford .712
10. Oklahoma State .703

Curious of the same rankings when playing P5 opponents. UW basically buys 3 wins a year OOC.

ADVERTISEMENT