ADVERTISEMENT

$100,000

ThatPittGuy

Redshirt
Dec 18, 2007
That's how much Louisville reportedly paid one recruit's family for their promise to commit. It takes 100 large for a school with the tradition and fanbase of Louisville to land a kid.

Even if Pitt were to ditch its nonsensically pious approach the athletics management, it could never afford to conpete. Never ever.

And by the way, the game ain't gonna change just because Dick Pitino is gone.

The game will change if a bunch of coaches end up serving jail time over this though.

Rick Pitino alone taking a fall is not going to change anything. Multiple coaches going to jail will change things.

Rick Pitino alone taking a fall is not going to change anything. Multiple coaches going to jail will change things.

Sean Miller going to jail does not make the Pete a more modern arena. Miami getting sanctions doesn't build us a new weightroom. Bruce Pearl getting fired doesn't make Kevin Stallings any less of an idiot. Taking direct money out does not make this a level playing field.

Penn State went through a scandal as big as anyone could dream up and they're already through it and stronger than they were before it. Pitt football has been mediocre before, during, and after the mess at PSU.

Pitt will only get better when Pitt fans and administrators make good things happen here instead of celebrating bad things happening to everybody else.

Mentioned on the pay board that the Chicago Sun Times had an article several years ago about Kentucky paying $250K to Anthony Davis and his family for his commitment. Davis’ family threatened to sue, but ultimately never did because (of course) they had no case and didn’t want anybody digging around in their finances.

This is why anybody who says “everybody cheats” and tries to leave it at that isn’t dealing in reality. There’s cheating and then there’s CHEATING.

The Feds were involved because Adidas was involved. Take them out of the equation and it is business as usual for the cheaters.

The game will change if a bunch of coaches end up serving jail time over this though.

The coaches have to include K, Roy, Cal, and other Blue Bloods who have it handed out.

The Feds were involved because Adidas was involved. Take them out of the equation and it is business as usual for the cheaters.

Right understand that but who do you think has made college hoops so corrupt? I would say the Shoe companies are as much as fault as anyone for College hoops corruption which is why the Feds got involved.

Obviously there are other factors of college hoops corruption like Agents, corrupt AAU programs, etc... But Shoe companies have the big time money and are a huge part of the problem.

The coaches have to include K, Roy, Cal, and other Blue Bloods who have it handed out.

Agree but so far we have Pitino already taking the fall. That is about as big as you can get in the coaching world.

And The native son Sean seems to be in hot water. Read this morning that Arizona was offering 150K to a kid so I find it hard to believe he survives in the end.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward.

Sean Miller going to jail does not make the Pete a more modern arena. Miami getting sanctions doesn't build us a new weightroom. Bruce Pearl getting fired doesn't make Kevin Stallings any less of an idiot. Taking direct money out does not make this a level playing field.

Penn State went through a scandal as big as anyone could dream up and they're already through it and stronger than they were before it. Pitt football has been mediocre before, during, and after the mess at PSU.

Pitt will only get better when Pitt fans and administrators make good things happen here instead of celebrating bad things happening to everybody else.

I totally agree and never said otherwise.

My comments were not about Pitt solely. I was responding to the overall thought about whether this will change college basketball.

My only point is that if coaches such as Sean Miller, Rick Pitino, etc... take a fall here and a number of assistant coaches do jail time over this it will have an impact on how these cheaters operate moving forward and should in theory help take some of that out of the game.

I certainly agree Pitt is still at a disadvantage to numerous schools due to facilities, coach, lack of recruiting base and so on. But adding these blue bloods cheating beyond belief and schools like Pitt have no chance.

So how deep does the corruption go at Adidas? An executive gets to give someone 100K in cash with no internal questioning? What do the IRS records show for this money? The Feds didn't even involve the ncaa ...haha

Right understand that but who do you think has made college hoops so corrupt? I would say the Shoe companies are as much as fault as anyone for College hoops corruption which is why the Feds got involved.

Obviously there are other factors of college hoops corruption like Agents, corrupt AAU programs, etc... But Shoe companies have the big time money and are a huge part of the problem.

College basketball and football have always been corrupt.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
That's how much Louisville reportedly paid one recruit's family for their promise to commit. It takes 100 large for a school with the tradition and fanbase of Louisville to land a kid.

Even if Pitt were to ditch its nonsensically pious approach the athletics management, it could never afford to conpete. Never ever.

And by the way, the game ain't gonna change just because Dick Pitino is gone.
On top of everything else that's wrong the biggest crime here is tax evasion by the family or recruit or both who took the money!

I hope that doesn't get missed by the authorities, but I bet it will, and I bet I know why!

If it was a rich kid on the golf team ( PITT doesn't have one) that would be the first charge!

On top of everything else that's wrong the biggest crime here is tax evasion by the family or recruit or both who took the money!

I hope that doesn't get missed by the authorities, but I bet it will, and I bet I know why!

If it was a rich kid on the golf team ( PITT doesn't have one) that would be the first charge!

I would think the tax evasion issues are one of the main factors at play here.

I would think the tax evasion issues are one of the main factors at play here.
Let's say you took 50k or 100k in college and now you're in the NBA for five years or so.
Figure that tax bill out with interest and penalties!

Agree but so far we have Pitino already taking the fall. That is about as big as you can get in the coaching world.

And The native son Sean seems to be in hot water. Read this morning that Arizona was offering 150K to a kid so I find it hard to believe he survives in the end.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward.

I think Miller is going to have a really hard time proclaiming plausible deniability. Book Richardson’s reputation preceded him going all the way back to his time at Xavier.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
So how deep does the corruption go at Adidas? An executive gets to give someone 100K in cash with no internal questioning? What do the IRS records show for this money? The Feds didn't even involve the ncaa ...haha

There are absolutely tax issues for the people who receive this money. Will the IRS pursue this? Unfortunately, this is where politics gets involved.

A bigger issue dealing with the IRS, is where the colleges/shoe companies come up with cash money. This is a huge issue that again becomes political. IRS does not have the assets to pursue this. Again, different rules for the rich than for the rest of society.

Let's say you took 50k or 100k in college and now you're in the NBA for five years or so.
Figure that tax bill out with interest and penalties!
If you're in the NBA, you'll be able to cut the check, and move on. The money will be relative chump change. It's they guys who didn't make the pros who will be sweating. Taxes on $100,000 is just under $30,000. Even with penalties, and interest, and NBA player will be able to pay this easily. Not so some guy working a regular job, especially if he didn't graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT