ADVERTISEMENT

1980s Panthers Greats....

May, grimm, green, jackson....in the same recruiting class.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Doesnt even include boyarski, meisner and williamson who played in the nfl

Or pryor...who played in the nfl and was the best TE in the country in high school

Or Trocano....who played qb at pitt and safety for the browns

Or rooster jones....who did not have a great college career but was the #1 running back in the South that year (ranked ahead of Robert alexander and major oglive)

Or dibartola.....who was a nice fullback and went on to have some really funny TV commercials for his dental practice......

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Or pryor...who played in the nfl and was the best TE in the country in high school

Or rooster jones....who did not have a great college career but was the #1 running back in the South that year (ranked ahead of Robert alexander and major oglive)

Or dibartola.....who was a nice fullback and went on to have some really funny TV commercials for his dental practice......
Impressive

Kind of think Williamson deserves a line by himself outside of an nfl throw in. Played seven years with a couple pro bowls and two super bowls and a key member of the 49ers back in their heyday.

Kind of think Williamson deserves a line by himself outside of an nfl throw in. Played seven years with a couple pro bowls and two super bowls and a key member of the 49ers back in their heyday.
Lynn Thomas was also a DB for the 49er's on that same team. Played mostly nickle I think.

I was in the same year as those guys, graduated in 1981. Definitely the best team Pitt ever had and arguably one of the best CFB teams of all time. There was an article in the PG several years ago about this. It quotes Bobby Bowden saying that they were the best college football team he ever coached against. Knowing Bowden, that may have been self serving since FSU beat us but that team was damn good. Five senior D linemen that year went on to start their rookie years in the NFL (Green, Jackson, Boyarsky, Meisner and Neill)

I was in the same year as those guys, graduated in 1981. Definitely the best team Pitt ever had and arguably one of the best CFB teams of all time. There was an article in the PG several years ago about this. It quotes Bobby Bowden saying that they were the best college football team he ever coached against. Knowing Bowden, that may have been self serving since FSU beat us but that team was damn good. Five senior D linemen that year went on to start their rookie years in the NFL (Green, Jackson, Boyarsky, Meisner and Neill)
When Bowden was retiring he listed his 10 best wins of his career and that 1980 victory over Pitt didn’t even make the list.

When Bowden was retiring he listed his 10 best wins of his career and that 1980 victory over Pitt didn’t even make the list.
so what? That is not what he was quoting Bowden on. Good chance that an early season win against the "best college team he ever coached against" would not make that list considering bigger and more wins of importance... Personally, I would consider Pitt's win over Penn State in 76 (or probably any other year for that matter) than the win over a much more talented Clemson team a bigger win...

I am definitely on the 1980 Panthers was our most talented team page. We had a 76 vs. 80 debate not long ago on this board. I do think from the games I've watched on Youtube of that team that they didn't fully use Trocano and especially Marino's abilities effectively enough though, despite having one of the best pass blocking offensive lines in college football history.

I am definitely on the 1980 Panthers was our most talented team page. We had a 76 vs. 80 debate not long ago on this board. I do think from the games I've watched on Youtube of that team that they didn't fully use Trocano and especially Marino's abilities effectively enough though, despite having one of the best pass blocking offensive lines in college football history.
Jimbo Covert, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Emil Boures. That O line was awesome. All went on to the NFL and all but Boures had stellar careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT