ADVERTISEMENT

1995 AFC Championship

BreakingPitt

All Conference
Apr 27, 2021
I want your guys thoughts on this game .
Finally made it to the bowl ! For a kid growing up in the 80s we had to hear our uncles , we finally got to see one for ourselves.
Should have lost , Willy Williams saved the day ,
This is a FB board and this game was amazing, Cowher seemed like a scared coach.. watch.
14 at QB.

this game seemed likes yesterday , clear skies.

The stadium went from as loud as I've ever heard it to dead silence as the ball flew through the air. Such an awesome game to watch live.

Steelers should have lost that game more than twice, cowher was a little baby.
I dont think he should be in the HOF. he likes his regular season awards but barely won anything of gradular. 1 sb....... barely

I dont think he should be in the HOF. he likes his regular season awards but barely won anything of gradular. 1 sb....... barely
Still better than the current Steelers era. Six AFC Chamionship games, 10 playoff appearances with at least one win in 8 of the 10 appearances. Probably would have two Super Bowls if not for the INTs by O'Donnell.

O' Donnell threw the memorable 2 pick sixes in the SB but he threw another in this game, but the Indy DB dropped it , STeelers should not have won.
Just saying Cowher was a scared coach and after watchinhg him and Ben talk in his house, I think Cowher held the STeelers back , but he was adaminant that he had soo many winnig seasons after Noll .
Pittsburgh doesnt need good seasons, we need banners.

I was at this game as a kid (as well as the San Diego, Denver, and first New England AFC Championships... and you people wonder why I'm so negative).

Things I remember:

We got hooked up with tickets to this game (and Buffalo the week before) because something happened at a game we went to in the regular season where they either sold duplicate tickets or someone was sold fakes. Either way, we had the same seats as someone else, so my dad had to spend a large portion of the game sorting things out in the ticket office.

I bought a Super Bowl 30 flag before the game, in the parking lot. The guy said they were $5 before the game and would be $10 after.

I believe we had a 4th and 3 or 4 at one point late in the game, just like what it came down to at the end of the San Diego game the season before. This time, we converted. I wanna say Ernie Mills made the catch.

Colts linebacker dropped a would-be-game-sealing interception. Cowher was mostly ass in the playoffs. We played down to the competition quite a bit. So many home losses or close wins.

I didn't know it at the time, but I saw years later how out of bounds Slash was before catching a touchdown. We might lose that game if replay exists. But, since it didn't exist, good thing the officials saw that Hail Mary bounce off the turf. Imagine if the renowned Steelers had created a Cowboys/Colts shellacking a year after giving the world San Diego/San Francisco.

We stayed in our seats (my dad and grandpap probably needed the extra time to sober up that game) after the game was over and I high-fived every fan who walked past. Then I waved my terrible towel out the window the whole way home (mostly standstill traffic over the Birmingham Bridge and onto Carson Street), while my dad and other cars beeped their horns. I can't imagine taking sports that seriously nowadays, haha.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Cowher was always hyper conservative, I remember people called it turtling, moving slow like a turtle, He'd get a 10-point lead and his offense was shut down pretty much at that point, I remember a game I went to vs. The Vikings, they were up 21-3 early in the 3rd quarter, and that was it, the offense was shut down for good, I think Bettis was injured and Fuamatu Ma Afala was RB, from that point on he ran Fu up the gut for a succession of at lest a half dozen 3 and outs, Fu must've had like 12 carries for 15 yards at that point, meanwhile the Vikings with Randy Moss closed to 21-18, about 2 minutes left, Moss catches the 2 point conversion, they get the ball back, Vikes have all 3 timeout so it stays the same, Fu 1 yard, Fu 0 yards 3rd and 9, luckily on that play Fu FINALLY breaks one for 35 yards and they run out the clock, some of those Cowher games where so frustrating to watch because you'd see other teams being The Greatest Show on Turf or whatever and we were stuck with this hyper conservative crap and we were always losing the big games anyways, Cowher is lucky Dan Rooney made him draft Ben or his career would have come up empty.

Cowher was always hyper conservative, I remember people called it turtling, moving slow like a turtle, He'd get a 10-point lead and his offense was shut down pretty much at that point, I remember a game I went to vs. The Vikings, they were up 21-3 early in the 3rd quarter, and that was it, the offense was shut down for good, I think Bettis was injured and Fuamatu Ma Afala was RB, from that point on he ran Fu up the gut for a succession of at lest a half dozen 3 and outs, Fu must've had like 12 carries for 15 yards at that point, meanwhile the Vikings with Randy Moss closed to 21-18, about 2 minutes left, Moss catches the 2 point conversion, they get the ball back, Vikes have all 3 timeout so it stays the same, Fu 1 yard, Fu 0 yards 3rd and 9, luckily on that play Fu FINALLY breaks one for 35 yards and they run out the clock, some of those Cowher games where so frustrating to watch because you'd see other teams being The Greatest Show on Turf or whatever and we were stuck with this hyper conservative crap and we were always losing the big games anyways, Cowher is lucky Dan Rooney made him draft Ben or his career would have come up empty.
cowher was a snatch and he cried after we should have lost.
i mean , he made the STeelers good again but how in the hell was the rest of the nfl that bad....maube rules??

Cowher blew it bad by dumping Anderson and Brister. Both could've been kept but he was adamant that they weren't worth their $$$$$. The 94' and 95' teams were great. He like Tomlin is overrated. Both are good coaches but neither has ever made a team greater than it's talent and neither has ever outcoached an opponent in a big game.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Neil Odonnell was the worst QB i ever saw , someone watch the damn game.
and we still barely lost the SB wth his tanking.

idk, Kenny keeps trying to get better , the steelers dont need joe montana
to wiin a glass football.

Cowher won a lot of games with average QBs, difficult to do in the pros. I understand his conservative approach before Ben arrived. The Chargers loss was on O’Donnell not good enough to put the ball in the end zone despite 32 completions. The Broncos loss in 1997, up 14-10 with the ball on Denver’s 35 after a nice punt return and penalty. That was a time to run the ball and get to the half with points, but Gailey called a pass and Stewart made a terrible decision and threw an INT in the end zone. The Steelers amazingly ended up down 24-14 at the half when it had a great chance to be up 21-10 or 17-10. Bettis played well that day.

Reactions: Burgh15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT