ADVERTISEMENT

1st pro team sports event with fans

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
besides in NZ I mean - 5000 fans were allowed inside a 25K seat stadium to see PSG play an exhibition match (in France). While the US is canceling seasons and playing without fans, Europe is gearing up to start their next season with fans. That's what you get to do when you take the virus serious and suppress it to very low levels.

The Pittsburgh Riverhounds also opened up their season in front of fans at the new soccer stadium in Louisville this past Sunday. Don’t know an attendance number, though.

The Pittsburgh Riverhounds also opened up their season in front of fans at the new soccer stadium in Louisville this past Sunday. Don’t know an attendance number, though.

Oh yea, Joe mentioned that. I was surprised that they let fans into that game. However, USL soccer is basically semi-pro soccer. Most of those guys are only making like 10K and have to work other jobs so I don't really count that. My son's games has also had fans but I didn't count that either

The Australian football teams have had limited fans in the stadiums at most or all of the games I've seen on television the last few weeks. According to the announcers there were 5,000 or 6,000 people there. You'd see a family sitting on the end of one row and then a bunch of empty seats and then a couple people sitting on the other end of the row. And then maybe an empty row, and then a row with a group of people sitting in the middle of the row. And so on.

"Australian prime minister Scott Morrison has confirmed that crowds of up to 10,000 people will be allowed into the country’s sports stadiums from July."

"The changes in Australian guidelines for sports venues only apply to stadia with capacities of 40,000 or under. All visitors must be ticketed and seated with social distancing rules in place, and attendance will be limited to 25 per cent of the venue's capacity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_AFL_season

The first game that allowed fans was during the second week of their season, which was the second weekend of June. Three games that weekend allowed fans, six did not. The highest attendance that weekend was 2,240.

Since then there were games every weekend with zero attendance and most of the games that allowed fans had between a few hundred and several thousand. Last weekend was the first weekend that all the games had fans. Yesterday they played a game with a crowd of over 22,000.

Don’t forget NASCAR’s All Star race on Wednesday had 25,000 fans in Bristol TN. It seemed to work out well for them. On a side note, my guy Ryan Blaney won stage 1 race but finished 6th overall,
lol

There were somewhere around 10,000 at each of the two Indy Car races last weekend at Road America.

In other words, this is another one of those things that SMF knows that isn't actually true.

Oh yea, Joe mentioned that. I was surprised that they let fans into that game. However, USL soccer is basically semi-pro soccer. Most of those guys are only making like 10K and have to work other jobs so I don't really count that. My son's games has also had fans but I didn't count that either
Yeah but many of these USL teams have legit stadiums that hold 5-10k. I have been to Cary, NC, which hosts a team and that is a gorgeous stadium. The venue where the NWSL Cup is taking place out in Utah is also a USL venue and it looks amazing. There are many others at that level. So yeah it does count.

Last edited:
There were somewhere around 10,000 at each of the two Indy Car races last weekend at Road America.

In other words, this is another one of those things that SMF knows that isn't actually true.

His title did say team sports. I realize that racing has teams, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

His title did say team sports. I realize that racing has teams, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Well you can for racing teams, but I'm not sure how soccer or Australian football don't qualify as team sports.

I mean if 5,000 people at a PSG exhibition game counts, why do 5,000 people at the Riverhounds at Louisville game not count?

There were also fans last weekend at the following USL games:
Real Monarchs vs San Diego in Utah
Indianapolis vs St. Louis in Indianapolis (at Lucas Oil Stadium in fact)
Tampa vs Atlanta 2 in Tampa (7,800 at that one)
Colorado Springs vs New Mexico in Colorado
Oklahoma City vs Tulsa in Oklahoma

That's six games last weekend in the United States with limited fans at them all before the PSG exhibition game also played with limited fans. Why does one count and not the other six?

Well you can for racing teams, but I'm not sure how soccer or Australian football don't qualify as team sports.

I mean if 5,000 people at a PSG exhibition game counts, why do 5,000 people at the Riverhounds at Louisville game not count?

That's six games last weekend in the United States with limited fans at them all before the PSG exhibition game also played with limited fans. Why does one count and not the other six?

I was only speaking in terms of including racing. When I think of team sports I think of baseball, football, hockey, soccer etc. if by definition racing is considered a team sports then I certainly stand corrected.

I had no idea those other ones had fans and I dare not try and speak for dear ole SMF.

besides in NZ I mean - 5000 fans were allowed inside a 25K seat stadium to see PSG play an exhibition match (in France). While the US is canceling seasons and playing without fans, Europe is gearing up to start their next season with fans. That's what you get to do when you take the virus serious and suppress it to very low levels.
You never stop. But why didn’t you even research to see if your assertion was accurate?

Because USL soccer is semi-pro

Wait a second. So semi-pro doesn't count, but an exhibition game against a second division team from Belgium does count?

It's not like you said that the major leagues in the US are playing without fans. You said "the US is canceling seasons and playing without fans". Which is simply factually incorrect.

Not only are there games being played with fans right now, but the NWSL didn't cancel their season. MLS didn't cancel their season. MLB didn't cancel their season. The NBA didn't cancel their season. The NHL didn't cancel their season. The NFL didn't cancel their season. The WNBA didn't cancel their season. In fact so far NO major professional leagues in the US have canceled their seasons.

Another thing that you know that is completely wrong.

You call USL semi-pro because of the fact that players make “like 10k a year.” So what about the hundreds of future MLB stars playing AA or AAA baseball in a normal year. Are they “semi pro” because you might be surprised to learn they make less than 10k a year in most cases?

Wait a second. So semi-pro doesn't count, but an exhibition game against a second division team from Belgium does count?

It's not like you said that the major leagues in the US are playing without fans. You said "the US is canceling seasons and playing without fans". Which is simply factually incorrect.

Not only are there games being played with fans right now, but the NWSL didn't cancel their season. MLS didn't cancel their season. MLB didn't cancel their season. The NBA didn't cancel their season. The NHL didn't cancel their season. The NFL didn't cancel their season. The WNBA didn't cancel their season. In fact so far NO major professional leagues in the US have canceled their seasons.

Another thing that you know that is completely wrong.

1. Yes, Neymar playing a 2nd division team from Belgium counts. He's one of the most famous athletes on Earth.

2. College football is canceling their season and everyone else is playing without fans so that was correct.

3. I am so good at this.

You call USL semi-pro because of the fact that players make “like 10k a year.” So what about the hundreds of future MLB stars playing AA or AAA baseball in a normal year. Are they “semi pro” because you might be surprised to learn they make less than 10k a year in most cases?

If you are making povery wages, then yes, you are semi-pro.

If you are making povery wages, then yes, you are semi-pro.
I have been at hundreds of MiLB games with more than 10,000 fans watching future MLB star millionaires who were making “poverty wages” at the time. One has nothing to do with the other. If you want to delineate between “major” and “minor” fine, but a crowd of 10,000 in Altoona counts the same as 10,000 at a Tampa Bay Rays game.

The funny thing is that SMF talks about leagues in the US cancelling their seasons when in fact NO major professional leagues in the US have done so, but on the other hand, Ligue 1, the top soccer league in France that PSG plays in, actually DID cancel their season. As did all of the lower French Leagues.

Reactions: JD1976
Government control doesn't work well in America. Europe welcomes it. That's why we have to save them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT