ADVERTISEMENT

2 TE's, Redzone Offense, and Some OL Stuff

XanderCrews34

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2014
This is a little bit of a hodgepodge but there were 3 things I wanted to check out after the GT game.

1) The increasing use of the 2 TE formations
2) The redzone offense
3) Some of the funky OL alignments that Collins alluded to as something that caused his defense some confusion

I'll go just go in order of the game with my gifs since all three topics came up at different points and overlapped in a bunch of cases.

Tight ends
The Krull-Bartholomew combo is becoming a real problem for opposing defenses. Pitt opened the game with both on the field and even though they didn't score on their first possession, I thought it was an encouraging start. They also used Carter Warren on the right side (which they've done a little bit this season) and cleverly still kept Krull eligible as a receiver by lining up Addison [off the bottom of the screen] on the line of scrimmage.

EGm00Tx.jpg

Then they showed a little more conventional formation but designed a pass for Bartholomew on a crossing combo with Krull that's simple scheme-wise but difficult to defend when you have two capable tight ends.

wJzoHTh.jpg

There's the setup, and now the play itself.

HkhY2mL.gif

I have a feeling Pitt knew GT would start off with more man-to-man coverages but they tried to disguise the blitz leaving the safety late in trying to cover Gavin (easier to type). This is one of those things that was likely scripted so Whipple must have known that GT would give this look early. The play call and execution is perfect.

Some redzone fun!

The way this offense is attacking in the redzone is really enjoyable right now. They can vary the formations while keeping the same personnel on the field. They've started leaning a lot on the two tight end looks and the results have been obviously very good.

2UDMLOe.jpg

Here we have Gavin as sort of an h-back. Being backed off the line allows the possibility to do a lot of different stuff. In this case, it's a split zone to the left and Gavin crosses the formation to the right. Minor and Drexel have a really nice combo on the DE to the LB and Izzy runs hard and with good patience. Again, GT's attempt to disguise their blitz left the outside blitzer out of position and an easy kick out for Warren.

TWMHim3.gif

The bubble screen action at the top also holds the defensive backs for Izzy to get a head of steam. This is why I don't necessarily hate bubble screens haha.

Here's where the alignment of the OL starts to really screw with GT:

bXrfoC3.jpg

Warren and Huoy are to the left. Krull and Kradel are to the right. Now if you were a DC, where would you guess the ball would be going on a run? To the left! But the alignment causes the GT defense to waaayyy overshift towards Krull. It's an easy numbers game at this point. Look how many GT defenders there are to the strength of the formation versus Krull's side. Gavin leads, Kradel pulls, and the left side of the Pitt line cave the GT defense.

QZIFihR.gif

Really fun stuff and a wrinkle that GT was not prepared for.

The Offensive Line Being Generally Rude

I think the success in the run game gave the line a little extra attitude. This next clip is maybe my favorite of the season and I don't even show the part where Addison catching a laser from Pickett on 3rd down.

DbLv7ak.jpg

The OL identifies the pressure look on the right and then just start bullying the GT pass rush.

HuWDVSp.gif

This is the kind of play that brings a tear to an OL coach's eye. Beautiful play up front.

More cool OL stuff

One of the weirder things I noticed was the OL pass blocking rules. I would love to talk to Whipple and Borbs about it because I'm not sure I've seen this before. It seems like the rule is
1) Where Warren is: if the down lineman inside of Warren, the OL slides inside and;
2) The "covered" [meaning a DL is lined up directly over him] offensive lineman (whether it's a G or C) "pops" out the opposite way as almost a pulling pass blocker.

I'll try to show some:

0CMBSoc.jpg

Here's the behind view. Warren's guy is outside so the line will slide right and Kradel pops left as sort-of puller.

6Ni6RlI.gif

Pickett half-rolls to the right which makes me believe that everyone knows Warren is stepping out, Kradel is pulling, and Kenny goes slightly to the right to avoid pressure. You notice how the GT linebacker blitzes late to the edge of the offense's left so again it was the right scheme and well executed. BTW KP throws another laser and Addison catches it on his butt. Ho-hum for those two.

I have to show one mistake by the line - but there's a good reason for it

uhoT86p.jpg

On the incredible scramble and throw to Krull, GT switches up by bringing pressure off the right side. Warren steps down but neither Drexel nor Kradel bounce which makes me think this was a missed assignment/call. Maybe a double blitz from the right was just an adjustment by GT that caught Pitt off guard. But luckily, Pickett was Pickett.

XMa9D3F.gif

Warren stepped down (which I really believe was his rule since the DL was inside of him), tried to recover, but it left V Davis to block two guys blitzing. If I had to guess, I'd assume Drexel was meant to pop out to the right but that's just a guess. Something maybe to watch for if they continue these alignments.

Two more redzone looks

This is already kinda lengthy so here's just 2 more examples of the redzone diversity that I've really loved.

GLBvVE0.jpg

Empty set. Remember, this is the same personnel as when Pitt pounded the ball into the endzone earlier in the game. Now you're going empty and you can tell Pickett sees the safety is matched up on Krull. To have a TE that can't be covered by a normal safety is just a huge advantage.

IP5DOXW.gif

Spread them out. Identify the mismatch. Pitch and catch.

Incorporating Carter

This last one I might expect to see a little bit more often, too. Using Carter as the fullback, WITH two tight ends, WITH a funky Warren-tackle-over formation gets Pitt an immediate advantage in numbers to the play side and a touchdown.

MsXAU7X.jpg

GT is clearly in man because the corner runs with Mack on the motion. But since it's man-to-man, look how outleveraged GT ends up at the top of the screen. The MLB has to play V Davis on the fake. The LB on his side likely has Carter man to man but can't possibly get there in time the way he's lined up, the play fake will hold him inside. The Safety has Krull man to man. I love how Krull makes sure to push his route vertically so that the fullback to the flat has separation. That leaves the edge defender having to choose between going after Pickett or picking up Carter to the flat. KP either has an easy toss to Carter or a walk in TD himself.

yM4yHOr.gif

The offense has an identity. They have smart, experienced playmakers. A stud QB. An offensive line with growing confidence. They are all on the same page right now. And now they're in the position where they can add wrinkles when needed each week to give teams even extra to think about and study. Enjoy the ride!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.