ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Schedule Thread

PantherRich1

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
We know some to date so I thought I would start the thread.

11/6 Youngstown State
11/21 vs Saint Louis (Barclays Center Classic, Brooklyn)
11/27 at Iowa (ACC-B10 Challenge), ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
12/8 at West Virginia
12/20 New Orleans
TBD vs Duquesne (PPG)
TBD Central Arkansas (Barclays Center Classic)
TBD North Alabama (Barclays Center Classic)
TBD Troy (Barclays Center Classic)
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD Clemson
TBD Duke
TBD Florida State
TBD Louisville
TBD NC State
TBD North Carolina
TBD Notre Dame
TBD Syracuse
TBD Virginia Tech
TBD at Boston College
TBD at Clemson
TBD at Georgia Tech
TBD at Louisville
TBD at Miami
TBD at NC State
TBD at Syracuse
TBD at Virginia
TBD at Wake Forest

Last edited:
NO! I don't want to see blowouts! I've never been one to want to see "quality" teams, at the expense of my team being blown out.

I'd like to see Penn State, we should be able to rebuild enough to avenge that loss pretty fast.

I prefer blowouts over competitive losses--especially early in the OOC part of the schedule. [Note: I define a blowout win as one by ~20 points or more in which the team had no struggle at all from the start and was easily up by double digits by halftime.]

When you are in Pitt's current situation it is important to build confidence early on. A tougher OOC from the get-go can come later if you have a top 20 team type roster. If the OOC schedule is too difficult for the roster makeup and there are too many OOC losses (even if most of these losses are fairly close ones) you run the risk of getting the players discouraged. Ideally you want some blowout wins early on to boost confidence followed by games of increasing difficulty but still mostly winable to sustain confidence. This approach helps younger players to develop gradually and gain confidence. Then, when you get into ACC play the team will be better prepared for at least some minimal W-L success and to be reasonably competitive even vs tougher opponents.

OK, but you know how some people want to bring in 'Bama for football so they can watch "the best", personally, I would not be excited for it! I was at tOSU at Pitt in '96 or so, when they where great and we sucked and we where behind 49-0 at the half, 7-0 before I entered Pitt Stadium, mismatches aren't fun, unless your team is the beast.

Update

Pitt will play Central Arkansas, North Alabama and Troy at the Pete as part of the MTE with the fourth game being the neutral site in Brooklyn vs Saint Louis.

Reactions: FireballZ
It's impossible to know how last year might have gone had the team not faltered right out of the gate. I think it basically conditioned them to think losing was ok. Obviously it was ok for Stallings.

Hopefully they come out and beat YSU by 50 and Capel reminds them that the point of playing is to win.

I'm hoping for a 5-game series with Delaware State.

Don't worry, I'm sure you will get something very similar to what you wish.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if the buzz around Capel overcomes the probable losing season and, once again, horrid home OOC with respect to season ticket sales.

Don't worry, I'm sure you will get something very similar to what you wish.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if the buzz around Capel overcomes the probable losing season and, once again, horrid home OOC with respect to season ticket sales.

He probably needs 5 ACC wins to avoid a losing season.

11-2, 5-13, 1-1 = 17-16

I don’t think they will win that many, but it will still be much better than Sleepy

Reactions: Elsalvador
VMI, Niagra, Maryland-Eastern Shore and Colgate look like the missing pieces of the OOC schedule

Should be 10 wins before even tip off vs Iowa, WVU, St Louis. Steal one or two of those games and could make for an interesting ACC schedule if we can pull another upset or two from there.

Who cares at this point who they play early in this season . The important things for the long term health of the program are how the newcomers and holdovers play and improve and what kind of game day coach JC is . The next important thing is who they sign in the early signing period. One or two games around .500 ball doesn't matter ...This yr.

ADVERTISEMENT