ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB commit - Davis Beville

#99HUGHgreen

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2013
Took another look at him in action. Got to say there is a lot to like about this incoming QB.

Great height- sees the field well.

Moves well in the pocket.

Good mobility.

Quick release.

Nice arm strength.

Good velocity on his passes.

Passes accurately downfield.

Sells the pump fake quite effectively

Lots of TD passes in the red zone.

Looks like a true leader on the field.

I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Pitt uniform.

https://247sports.com/Article/Barton-Simmons-scouts-NFL-potential-in-2019-QB-recruiting-124103431

Took another look at him in action. Got to say there is a lot to like about this incoming QB.

Good mobility.

Quick release.

Nice arm strength.

https://247sports.com/Article/Barton-Simmons-scouts-NFL-potential-in-2019-QB-recruiting-124103431

looks like the kid from Clemson...

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
With an Ivy League offer sheet I assume he is both very smart and maybe not quite to the athletic level as "the kid from Clemson".

Yeah comparing him to the kid from clemson is a bit much........I suppose him being tall, somewhat athletic, and a QB makes them comparable.......but the Clemson kid I believe was the consensus #1 QB if Im not mistaken

With an Ivy League offer sheet I assume he is both very smart and maybe not quite to the athletic level as "the kid from Clemson".

Check out the video- He looks quite athletic for his size. Looks awefully similar to Clemson’s Lawrence in many ways (including size, mobility, confidence decision making ability). Obviously, it would be foolish to suggest Beville WILL be the next Trevor Lawrence at this point.

Still, it’s promising to read a scout believe Beville has real potential to “grow into something special.”

Barton Simmons scouts NFL potential in 2019 QB recruiting

The third candidate to grow into something special, as discussed on the 247Sports Recruiting Podcast, is committed to Pat Narduzzi at Pittsburgh. Davis Beville of Greenville (S.C.) also holds a three-star composite ranking as a pro-style passer at 6-foot-6, 200 pounds.

1COMMENTS
“He has legit big-time testing numbers, has been very productive both throwing and running the football in high school but not a guy, seeing him throw in person, has really wowed us to the extent that we feel like he’s there as a ‘stamp him’ kind of kid,” Simmons said.

——-

Note: “Stamp him” is Simmons way of saying he sees a QB who possess everything needed to make it to the NFL. It has nothing to do with that QB’s potential at the college level.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Check out the video- He looks quite athletic for his size. Looks awefully similar to Clemson’s Lawrence in many ways (including size, mobility, confidence decision making ability). Obviously, it would be foolish to suggest Beville WILL be the next Trevor Lawrence at this point.

Still, it’s promising to read a scout believe Beville has real potential to “grow into something special.”

Barton Simmons scouts NFL potential in 2019 QB recruiting

The third candidate to grow into something special, as discussed on the 247Sports Recruiting Podcast, is committed to Pat Narduzzi at Pittsburgh. Davis Beville of Greenville (S.C.) also holds a three-star composite ranking as a pro-style passer at 6-foot-6, 200 pounds.

1COMMENTS
“He has legit big-time testing numbers, has been very productive both throwing and running the football in high school but not a guy, seeing him throw in person, has really wowed us to the extent that we feel like he’s there as a ‘stamp him’ kind of kid,” Simmons said.

——-

Note: “Stamp him” is Simmons way of saying he sees a QB who possess everything needed to make it to the NFL. It has nothing to do with that QB’s potential at the college level.

Good post. Wonder if he'll graduate early and provide competition this year?

Yeah comparing him to the kid from clemson is a bit much........I suppose him being tall, somewhat athletic, and a QB makes them comparable.......but the Clemson kid I believe was the consensus #1 QB if Im not mistaken

Yes- Probably going too far for any of us to assume he is going to be every bit as good as Lawrence. I’d imagine Trevor looked a bit more polished or showed a few more things in HS to have him ranked at the top of his class.

Still, Beville looks pretty good. How nice would it be to have a promising 6-6 QB on the Pitt roster who a scout picked out as one of three QBs in the class who looks most likely to grow into something special.

Yes- Probably going too far for any of us to assume he is going to be every bit as good as Lawrence. I’d imagine Trevor looked a bit more polished or showed a few more things in HS to have him ranked at the top of his class.

Still, Beville looks pretty good. How nice would it be to have a promising 6-6 QB on the Pitt roster who a scout picked out as one of three QBs in the class who looks most likely to grow into something special.
Im all in brother. The more competition at the QB position the better. As we all know, the transition from HS to college is very difficult and you have to have numbers in case some kids just cant make it. I hope KP will improve as I think he has the leadership qualities needed at the position but having a kid like this in the wings is great. I really like how Duzz has address the position.

I’m excited about him. I’m really concerned about how much he likes Watson though. If Shawn Watson lasts this kid’s entire college career pitt is absolutely doomed beyond belief.

Anyone think he might actually have an OL in front of him at Pitt that can pass block?

Good mobility.

Quick release.

Nice arm strength.

Lawrence was the number 1 HS QB as selected by two evaluation services last year. The other had Jacob Fields as #1. Both are from Georgia, which is another illustration of why we need to recruit hard there. I see we gave out some scholarship offers there yesterday, but giving the 19th offer to a kid who already has been offered by Alabama and nearly everyone else is not my idea of recruiting hard there. We need to identify and get on kids from there early.

Good mobility.

Quick release.

Nice arm strength.

Hope the coaches don’t ruin him too.

Hope the coaches don’t ruin him too.
Shocker..........one of the boards Pitt fans crapping all over a positive thread.
Not crapping. You tell me what happened with our QB the last 2 games in 2017 and then this year. Name me another D1 program that passes for only 8 yards in a game or can’t make a pass over the middle. Is it the QB? The scheme? How is that being negative? I guess you are in the camp of burying your head in the sand.

Not crapping. You tell me what happened with our QB the last 2 games in 2017 and then this year. Name me another D1 program that passes for only 8 yards in a game or can’t make a pass over the middle. Is it the QB? The scheme? How is that being negative? I guess you are in the camp of burying your head in the sand.

So the same coaches other than Watson ruined Peterman? When was KP ever great that he was ruined? Have you looked at his stats other than the wake game......Picket didnt look ruined when he had more time to throw in the Wake game.

Look I have gone on record that Watson needs to go. But to say he "ruined" Picket is silly.

See, how can that be negative?

The kid is the number 14 pro set QB in the entire class, and moved up from 16 recently, so rivals moved him up.

He looks good, but honestly I am more concerned about ever getting a great WR again. Frankly, I dont think we run far too much because that is what we want to run. I think we run it because that is what works. In that regards, I like us doing it, but big time WR may stay far away. We need to market the bejeebus outta Tyler Boyd in the NFL, or Dontez Ford, Jester Weah and Q in the NFL. Bottom line, is Pitt will get you where you want to be. But we need some options down the road here.

See, how can that be negative?

The kid is the number 14 pro set QB in the entire class, and moved up from 16 recently, so rivals moved him up.

He looks good, but honestly I am more concerned about ever getting a great WR again. Frankly, I dont think we run far too much because that is what we want to run. I think we run it because that is what works. In that regards, I like us doing it, but big time WR may stay far away. We need to market the bejeebus outta Tyler Boyd in the NFL, or Dontez Ford, Jester Weah and Q in the NFL. Bottom line, is Pitt will get you where you want to be. But we need some options down the road here.
What does our WR coach bring to the table? The WR’s don’t seem to be developing (i.e. Q. Henderson), and his recruiting seems average.

What does our WR coach bring to the table? The WR’s don’t seem to be developing (i.e. Q. Henderson), and his recruiting seems average.

I suspect you may see changes this off season. Duzz was clearly not happy with the defense and made wholesale changes to the DC and DB coaches. Im thinking he'll replace Watson and the WR coach after the recruiting period is over.

So the same coaches other than Watson ruined Peterman? When was KP ever great that he was ruined? Have you looked at his stats other than the wake game......Picket didnt look ruined when he had more time to throw in the Wake game.

Look I have gone on record that Watson needs to go. But to say he "ruined" Picket is silly.
Didn’t say ruined just that for whatever reason the coaching isn’t there. It may be correctable. But something stinks here with that position. Look st the total QB play in 2017 as well. None of them looked good. We brought in a 5 star from USC and even he couldn’t get it done before his injury.

I’m excited about him. I’m really concerned about how much he likes Watson though. If Shawn Watson lasts this kid’s entire college career pitt is absolutely doomed beyond belief.

Not sure how involved he was, but I’m guessing he would have to have been pretty involved.

Maybe someone closer to this can answer, but it seems that OL and QB are the positions that take the longest time to develop.

So....a kid like Lawrence maybe peaks in HS, while the Beville kid is just starting to blow up?

I wish Walt was here. Is there any debate on this board that Walt would make this kid legit?

I guess we are resigned to answer a different question......

can Watson?

Reactions: bubba31
Didn’t say ruined just that for whatever reason the coaching isn’t there. It may be correctable. But something stinks here with that position. Look st the total QB play in 2017 as well. None of them looked good. We brought in a 5 star from USC and even he couldn’t get it done before his injury.

Pat Bostic was a 5 star. You also realized that 5 star QB couldnt beat out multiple QBs at USC which is why he transferred. There was no one beating on his door to go to their school.

Again Im not defending Watson and I do agree that the offenses problems are in large part on him. But to say he ruined picket is over the top (Hope the coaches don’t ruin him too)

Maybe someone closer to this can answer, but it seems that OL and QB are the positions that take the longest time to develop.

So....a kid like Lawrence maybe peaks in HS, while the Beville kid is just starting to blow up?

I wish Walt was here. Is there any debate on this board that Walt would make this kid legit?

I guess we are resigned to answer a different question......

can Watson?

Its funny how Walts legend grows with each year. I recall lots of frustration with his play calling and in particular the game against ND where the offense was awful where he said "its hard to call plays when you dont know what will work"...........LOL

But in general I am also concerned about Watson........My hope is that Duzz at the very least hires a Co-offensive Coordinator to help diversify the offense so that Watson can work more on coaching the QBs?

Reactions: Usuallyunusual

That is an excellent point.

Tre Tipton
Shocky Jacques-Louis
Cameron O'Neil
Darian Street
Dontavius Butler-Jenkins
Maurice Ffrench
Aaron Mathews
Michael Smith

All of these guys were decent recruits really, and outside of Ffrench, none really have blossomed yet. Still time of course for many of them, but better get at it in the off-season for this group.

It would be nice (in theory) to have a QB in the waiting for a series, if the starter was struggling.

Obviously, this wasn’t the case this year. KP could have benefited from sitting a series or two.

The potential for immediate playing time if Pickett struggles next year.

The biggest upside nobody is discussing is his high school ran a "jet sweep" based offense, so he will have almost no learning curve.

Can he make quick, good decisions? That's probably the best attribute in a qb. For a qb, good , immediate decision making trumps raw athletic ability on average. One of the best qbs I saw in person , Danny Wuerffel, had mediocre athletic ability. However, he could read defenses quickly and make excellent decisions off his reads.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Not sure how involved he was, but I’m guessing he would have to have been pretty involved.
BeVille has made it pretty clear he thinks extremely highly of Watson. To the point where it sounds like Watson was the main reason he committed to Pitt.

Which I mean hey, from everything I’ve ever heard Sean Watson is as good of a guy as you’ll ever meet. He’s just an awful football coach.

BeVille has made it pretty clear he thinks extremely highly of Watson. To the point where it sounds like Watson was the main reason he committed to Pitt.

Which I mean hey, from everything I’ve ever heard Sean Watson is as good of a guy as you’ll ever meet. He’s just an awful football coach.

If Pitt struggles on offense again against Stanford, I could see Narduzzi having the, “I think need to bring in more help on offense” discussion with Watson and maybe ask if he wouldn’t mind adding someone as a co-OC. Was thinking Narduzzi could let him save face by giving him the title of assistant head coach, but it looks like Charlie Partridge already holds that title.

I am not sure who from outside the organization would want to come In as a co-offensive coordinator.

If Pitt struggles on offense again against Stanford, I could see Narduzzi having the, “I think need to bring in more help on offense” discussion with Watson and maybe ask if he wouldn’t mind adding someone as a co-OC. Was thinking Narduzzi could let him save face by giving him the title of assistant head coach, but it looks like Charlie Partridge already holds that title.

I am not sure who from outside the organization would want to come In as a co-offensive coordinator.
I don’t think Watson gets fired and like you said who wants to be Pitt’s co-offensive coordinator? Maybe Watson just gets demoted to qb coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT