ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB commit - Davis Beville

Yes- Probably going too far for any of us to assume he is going to be every bit as good as Lawrence. I’d imagine Trevor looked a bit more polished or showed a few more things in HS to have him ranked at the top of his class.

Still, Beville looks pretty good. How nice would it be to have a promising 6-6 QB on the Pitt roster who a scout picked out as one of three QBs in the class who looks most likely to grow into something special.

You mean like how when they had some 6'6 strong armed quarterback named Joe Flacco?? But he couldn't see the field because of politics and coaches favoritism??

You mean like how when they had some 6'6 strong armed quarterback named Joe Flacco?? But he couldn't see the field because of politics and coaches favoritism??

Oh please stop this nonsense. Theres not a coach in America who would have started Flacco over Palco. Flacco was not even remotely ready to be the starter. Politics had nothing to do with him not starting.

I don’t think Watson gets fired and like you said who wants to be Pitt’s co-offensive coordinator? Maybe Watson just gets demoted to qb coach.

Im not sure he will either but I dont believe Duzz is happy with the offense either and I suspect there will be changes on that side of the ball like there were on the defensive side of the ball last year.

You see co-coordinators at a lot of places so its not out of the question to have a younger assistant hired to be Watsons co-coordinator.

Reactions: Pittx9
Im not sure he will either but I dont believe Duzz is happy with the offense either and I suspect there will be changes on that side of the ball like there were on the defensive side of the ball last year.

You see co-coordinators at a lot of places so its not out of the question to have a younger assistant hired to be Watsons co-coordinator.
That’s true. As much as co-offensive coordinator at Pitt is probably not appealing to most, a young up and coming qb coach or something of that nature may jump at the opportunity.

I am not a Watson fan but he was instrumental in recruiting Beville despite what the dopey insider says.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/710892002
I’m no fan of his either. I believe that was one of the quotes I read though and also saw one of the pitt writers quote one of BeVille’s tweets who after a visit tweeted something along the lines of Watson being a man of God and how he was looking forward to playing for someone he admired so much.

I don’t remember the exact words but it was clear he thinks very highly of Shawn Watson.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
That’s true. As much as co-offensive coordinator at Pitt is probably not appealing to most, a young up and coming qb coach or something of that nature may jump at the opportunity.

Yeah if you're a younger coach at a lower level CSUA/MAC etc program that is looking to get on the big stage this would be a great opportunity........I mean there is no way to go but up...........the offense cant get any worse can it?

Yeah if you're a younger coach at a lower level CSUA/MAC etc program that is looking to get on the big stage this would be a great opportunity........I mean there is no way to go but up...........the offense cant get any worse can it?
I mean, I don’t even really wanna mention it but could you imagine Pickett and the passing offense taking absolutely no steps forward next season, the new o-linemen all struggling, and no RB emerging from the pack and on top of no passing game having a lousy run game too?

It’s very unlikely that nobody improves I’m just saying just because the offense is this bad right now, it’s not a guarantee it will be better next year just by default.

Reactions: Large Panther
I mean, I don’t even really wanna mention it but could you imagine Pickett and the passing offense taking absolutely no steps forward next season, the new o-linemen all struggling, and no RB emerging from the pack and on top of no passing game having a lousy run game too? No.......I cant imagine that and I will be surprised if Duzz doesnt do anything this off season to correct it. I think theres enough talent there to be more effective than they've shown in the passing game. Again he bar is set pretty low.

It’s very unlikely that nobody improves I’m just saying just because the offense is this bad right now, it’s not a guarantee it will be better next year just by default.

I guess the difference for me is that Palco was consistently good. Kenny, on the other hand, has not lived up to all his hype yet. Narduzzi has made it clear that Kenny is his guy...which makes one think PN may stay with him until he graduates regardless of wether he takes his game to the next level or not.

I guess we are left hoping either Kenny can up his game or he sprains an ankle in a game so The coaches are forced to give Beville or another QB on the roster a shot.

Heck, maybe next season Kenny will have better chemistry with the players around him and maybe he will be allowed to get more involved with the playcalling and maybe he will have more time to throw and maybe he will throw more pass... more accurately.

Or maybe (and this may be closer to your point), Kenny struggles for the next few years and Beville is never given a shot- kind of like the TMac situation - no matter how poorly Kenny ends up play.

Last edited:
I guess the difference for me is that Palco was consistently good. Kenny, on the other hand, has not lived up to all his hype yet. Narduzzi has made it clear that Kenny is his guy...which makes one think PN may stay with him until he graduates regardless of wether he takes his game to the next level or not.

I guess we are left hoping either Kenny can up his game or he sprains an ankle in a game so The coacjesnare forced to gice Beville or another QB on the roster a shot.

Heck, maybe next season Kenny will have better chemistry with the players around him and maybe he will be allowed to get more involved with the playcalling and maybe he will have more time to throw and maybe he will throw more pass... more accurately.

Or maybe (and this may be closer to your point), Kenny struggles for the next few years and Beville is never given a shot- kind of like the TMac situation - no matter how poorly Kenny ends up play.

I think Duzz is simply protecting a kid who is playing a position that gets enough scrutiny without having his coach throw him under the bus. I have no doubt KP will have to earn the starting job next year.

I think Duzz is simply protecting a kid who is playing a position that gets enough scrutiny without having his coach throw him under the bus. I have no doubt KP will have to earn the starting job next year.

Yeah, I get that PN doesn’t want his starting QB beaten up any more than he already has been.

Personally, I am more interested in knowing that Narduzzi is always PREPARED with another option ready to go (and willing to go to another option) should a change be needed... whether that change be with a scheme, a player, a coach or whatever else may need changing.

Now that he is a 4 star recruit does he have more expectation than say last week ?

That and of course he was throwing bounce passes on screens in the last Pitt spring game he played in before transferring.

I think the truth is generally in the middle with the coach vs player issue in Pickett's case. Pickett from the start has always appeared like he'd be more effective with a lot of different options, similar to Peterman two years back. With a bit more of a running element. But from the start I didn't peg him to be a Payton Manning or Marino or even Tom Savage type. Watson and Narduzzi appeared to think differently however, considering the scheme developed around him.

I don't want to say it should have been more "imaginative", whatever that means, just for imagination sake. But it seemed clear from the start that this guy had the intangibles to be a great leader, which is a big piece of the puzzle (and what Narduzzi seems to love about him). BUT he needs a more sophisticated option-laden scheme around him... something like '16.

Dropping him back seven steps, after two off tackle runs get stopped on 1st and 2nd down, wasn't going to be Pickett's forte. Ever. But that's closer to what Watson and Narduzzi wanted to run, early on. Later, they simply just went to three off tackle runs. Somehow that worked often enough to win us 7 games. Deep down, I bet that shocked even them.

Maybe this new guy will be better...if he gets any real shot. From everything we hear, sounds like Duz will sink or swim with Pickett at all costs first.

I know, I’m silly. Everything is just fine.
Everything is NOT fine for sure but its not near as bad as some make it out to be with recruiting being one example

If you are ratings focused Pitt ranges from the low 30s in rivals to the mid forties in other sites. More important than the rating # is the delta rating between Pitt and its closest competitors in the ACC Coastal. IMO Pitt within the statistical margin of error with all the coastal teams this year with perhaps the exception of Miami and VT. In other words Pitts recruiting is good enough in my opinion to keep improving the program with continued development of players. With continued improvement the rankings and overall quality of player added will improve. I dont think anyone is saying that PItts current recruiting is good enough to compete week in and week out with the Clemsons of the world. But it is good enough for the program to continue its climb to respectability. Its NOT the disaster many make it out to be.

I'd also add that Like Beville many of the recruits are being viewed more favorably over time. Just as importantly, Duzz has historically closed strong and gotten some highly rated kids at the end of the cycle as well and it appears he may do that again this year.

So in my view Pitt and Duzz are recruiting at a level to continue to improve and elevate the program along with good coaching. Its not the level they eventually need to be to get to the top 25 type program we all want it to be year in year out but it is good enough to make progress towards that goal.

Everything is NOT fine for sure but its not near as bad as some make it out to be with recruiting being one example

If you are ratings focused Pitt ranges from the low 30s in rivals to the mid forties in other sites. More important than the rating # is the delta rating between Pitt and its closest competitors in the ACC Coastal. IMO Pitt within the statistical margin of error with all the coastal teams this year with perhaps the exception of Miami and VT. In other words Pitts recruiting is good enough in my opinion to keep improving the program with continued development of players. With continued improvement the rankings and overall quality of player added will improve. I dont think anyone is saying that PItts current recruiting is good enough to compete week in and week out with the Clemsons of the world. But it is good enough for the program to continue its climb to respectability. Its NOT the disaster many make it out to be.

I'd also add that Like Beville many of the recruits are being viewed more favorably over time. Just as importantly, Duzz has historically closed strong and gotten some highly rated kids at the end of the cycle as well and it appears he may do that again this year.

So in my view Pitt and Duzz are recruiting at a level to continue to improve and elevate the program along with good coaching. Its not the level they eventually need to be to get to the top 25 type program we all want it to be year in year out but it is good enough to make progress towards that goal.

Recruiting isn’t “good enough” for the exact reason you mentioned; Pitt is behind VT and Miami and at about the same level as everyone else in the Coastal. If you’re hoping for coaching to takeover at that point, at best, you’re stuck with something similar to this season.

Recruiting isn’t “good enough” for the exact reason you mentioned; Pitt is behind VT and Miami and at about the same level as everyone else in the Coastal. If you’re hoping for coaching to takeover at that point, at best, you’re stuck with something similar to this season.

It was good enough to win the coastal this year and good enough to beat VT last year (and in fact most years where pitt has played them on essentially even terms) and this year. The only team that clearly had superior talent was Miami whose DL destroyed our OL. I thought on Defense we had the talent to compete (Pitts DL and DBs did not look overmatched to me). I also think its good enough to continue to make steady if not marked improvements year over year.

It is not just one issue with the PItt offense. A combination of things from the OC, offensive line, receivers and quarterback all have to blame. No TE. The pass blocking is sub par for a group the excels at run blocking. Are the wrs running routes correcting and getting separation when Pitt plays quality teams?

How is Pitt behind VT? How do our conference records compare since Narduzzi got here? And we just thumped them.

It was good enough to win the coastal this year and good enough to beat VT last year (and in fact most years where pitt has played them on essentially even terms) and this year. The only team that clearly had superior talent was Miami whose DL destroyed our OL. I thought on Defense we had the talent to compete (Pitts DL and DBs did not look overmatched to me). I also think its good enough to continue to make steady if not marked improvements year over year.

Yep somehow this staff with their “recruiting” found a way to win the Coastal.

You don’t even know it but you are actually giving the staff credit. No doubt we have to do better in several areas coaching wise & like everyone we want to improve recruiting.

BUT according to you and the “recruiting experts” we are behind VT and on the same level as the rest of the Costal. The same coastal we won.

So what is it....did we win the Costal due to our staff recruiting better than the “experts” said??? Or did they out work, prepare, out coach (even with a guy like Watson as OC whom none are happy with)??? Was the coastal weak...sure but it was weak for everyone. Therefore PN & co had to do something right.

BTW in PN’s time as HC he has the 3rd best record in the entire ACC. Only 1 win from having the 2nd best record. By no means am I saying we have arrived but things are not as bad as you almost always make them out to be.

Took another look at him in action. Got to say there is a lot to like about this incoming QB.

Great height- sees the field well.

Moves well in the pocket.

Good mobility.

Quick release.

Nice arm strength.

Good velocity on his passes.

Passes accurately downfield.

Sells the pump fake quite effectively

Lots of TD passes in the red zone.

Looks like a true leader on the field.

I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Pitt uniform.

https://247sports.com/Article/Barton-Simmons-scouts-NFL-potential-in-2019-QB-recruiting-124103431

Looks like he's going to be a great PITT addition!! Clemson got luck but ACC should be on Notice!

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Yep somehow this staff with their “recruiting” found a way to win the Coastal.

You don’t even know it but you are actually giving the staff credit. No doubt we have to do better in several areas coaching wise & like everyone we want to improve recruiting.

BUT according to you and the “recruiting experts” we are behind VT and on the same level as the rest of the Costal. The same coastal we won.

So what is it....did we win the Costal due to our staff recruiting better than the “experts” said??? Or did they out work, prepare, out coach (even with a guy like Watson as OC whom none are happy with)??? Was the coastal weak...sure but it was weak for everyone. Therefore PN & co had to do something right.

BTW in PN’s time as HC he has the 3rd best record in the entire ACC. Only 1 win from having the 2nd best record. By no means am I saying we have arrived but things are not as bad as you almost always make them out to be.

I was going to make the same exact point,., i.e, the fact that we are not overmatched by VT even though VT regularly out recruits us is another example of people placing way too much emphasis on recruiting rankings. To further elaborate, I dont think there's any doubt that a team that has classes regularly rated in the top 10 will beat a team that has classes ranked in the 30's most of the time. The rankings are no meaningless.

However, there is statistical uncertainty in the rankings and therefore any kind of quantitative comparison of rankings has to take that into consideration. In other words is there a huge difference in classes ranked between lets say 25 and 40? I honestly dont think so. I do think in that range the ability to identify talent and develop talent makes a huge difference in programs that recruit at that level.

For Pitt to get beyond that level Duzz has to differentiate by identifying kids with upside and coach them up. Then over time the overall level of talent will improve as the program begins to win more and attract better players. I see that blue print in place and beginning to work. Time will tell just how successful he is But in all honesty, unless pitt is going to hire a Meyer, thats the formula for success of any coach they may hire down the road.

I’ll do this in one post.

The Coastal has never been a meat grinder and can be won with two conference losses most years. It’s happened four times since Pitt joined six years ago. Pitt has only been “that good” twice and has one championship blowout to show for it. So “Pitt won the Coastal!” is great but ends up being a very minor accomplishment.

So far as VaTech is concerned, Pitt has done well enough against them but Fuente is 2-1 against Pitt on the field and has finished better than Pitt in recruiting three years in a row. Currently, their lowest rated recruit would fall in the middle of Pitt’s class. Does that sound sustainable or do you think this staff is so good it can recruit lower and “coach up” to make up the difference? I can tell you which is easier, at least.

Hey, Pitt won the Coastal. That’s great. If you’re cool with averaging 5-7 losses per year and maybe slipping into a lopsided conference championship game occasionally, the status quo is probably okay. I have no clue why any fan is cool with that but you do you.

I’ll do this in one post.

The Coastal has never been a meat grinder and can be won with two conference losses most years. It’s happened four times since Pitt joined six years ago. Pitt has only been “that good” twice and has one championship blowout to show for it. So “Pitt won the Coastal!” is great but ends up being a very minor accomplishment.

So far as VaTech is concerned, Pitt has done well enough against them but Fuente is 2-1 against Pitt on the field and has finished better than Pitt in recruiting three years in a row. Currently, their lowest rated recruit would fall in the middle of Pitt’s class. Does that sound sustainable or do you think this staff is so good it can recruit lower and “coach up” to make up the difference? I can tell you which is easier, at least.

Hey, Pitt won the Coastal. That’s great. If you’re cool with averaging 5-7 losses per year and maybe slipping into a lopsided conference championship game occasionally, the status quo is probably okay. I have no clue why any fan is cool with that but you do you.

Who said they are cool with the standard being how they performed this year. Most of us recognize that Pitt was a dumpster fire a few year ago due to the Stevie P coaching fiasco. Turning this ship around from the mediocrity the last 30 years or so is not going to be done over night. Its going to be a process. Short of hiring a Saban or Meyer type which is unrealistic, there will be no quick fixes. As a result in order for the program to go from where its been, to where it can ultimately be and what most fans would be happy with, its going to happen in incremental steps. Winning the coastal was a nice first step, something that Pitt hasnt done since its been in the ACC. Why crap all over that accomplishment? It is something to build on.

Again you totally ignore the fact that there is significant error in rating system. The VT has historically out recruited Pitt but in most years, Pitt has not been outclassed by VT. That suggests to me that there is not a huge difference in actual talent, like there is between Pitt and clemson. As I said, the difference between a class thats rated 25th overall and one that is rated in the high 30s is likely to be insignificant.

Reactions: drp1tt

Paleo went into Notre Dame and set a record for TDs. He also was a dark horse for Heisman at one point in his career. With Pitt’s luck it just happened that he and Flacco were in school together but at the time no one was arguing that Palko wasn’t the best QB by a wide margin on the roster. In fact, thats one of the reasons Morelli did not come here.

Looks like he's going to be a great PITT addition!! Clemson got luck but ACC should be on Notice!

You never know how these things ultimately will play out: hopely he stays committed, stays injury-free, looks just as promising when he a gets to Pitt, is actually given a chance to play, finds himself surrounded by enough talented players on the field to allow him to have a chance to succeed, has good enough plays called to give him s chance to thrive, and that he plays well on game day.

Last edited:
Paleo went into Notre Dame and set a record for TDs. He also was a dark horse for Heisman at one point in his career. With Pitt’s luck it just happened that he and Flacco were in school together but at the time no one was arguing that Palko wasn’t the best QB by a wide margin on the roster. In fact, thats one of the reasons Morelli did not come here.
I said all of that to say.......If Pickett had on field sucess I wouldn't be looking for a Joe Flacco type of player. But im saying even if another option was given the Pitt coaching staff wouldnt have a true fair competition. Running the incumbent out with the starters against the second team during spring ball,vs running the competing player out with either the second team or worst scout team isnt a fair competition. Im saying i hope they dont do that. Put ALL QB's on roster in same situations and see what happens

I guess we are left hoping either Kenny can up his game or he sprains an ankle in a game so The coacjesnare forced to gice Beville or another QB on the roster a shot.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyler-palko-1.html

This is what I've been trying to get across to people who are railing on Pickett. Poco's Junior season was similar to what Pickett did this year in his first year starting.

Had the same discussion about stole with someone on the pay board, Pickett's first season starting was better than stalls first to season starting.

People have selective memories and want to compare a quarterback in his second year playing in college to pass quarterbacks very best years.

He looks like a guy who is going to progress into the kind of quarterback people want to remember the other quarterbacks having been.

Just saying, he's not as bad as what people want to join him up to be.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyler-palko-1.html

This is what I've been trying to get across to people who are railing on Pickett. Poco's Junior season was similar to what Pickett did this year in his first year starting.

Had the same discussion about stole with someone on the pay board, Pickett's first season starting was better than stalls first to season starting.

People have selective memories and want to compare a quarterback in his second year playing in college to pass quarterbacks very best years.

He looks like a guy who is going to progress into the kind of quarterback people want to remember the other quarterbacks having been.

Just saying, he's not as bad as what people want to join him up to be.

No, he wont

Picketts issues are the same as tino's.

The moment he feels pressure, or the moment the pocket collapses,

He runs for his life or takes the sack rather than step up and throw it downfield or at the very least throw it away. He is Tino sunseri redux. ( and forget defending Tino. That kid never improved while at Pitt and the above mentioned Pickett description dogged Tino his whole career)

I know many of you will rip me for this but until I see improvement in this kid my statement stands.

And I am quite certain that this wont change with pickett.

Open up the competition to all QBs on the roster and find someone that can work with and truly develop quarterbacks.

This program goes nowhere until the above is considered.

Reactions: bignorthu2
No, he wont

Picketts issues are the same as tino's.

The moment he feels pressure, or the moment the pocket collapses,

He runs for his life or takes the sack rather than step up and throw it downfield or at the very least throw it away. He is Tino sunseri redux. ( and forget defending Tino. That kid never improved while at Pitt and the above mentioned Pickett description dogged Tino his whole career)

I know many of you will rip me for this but until I see improvement in this kid my statement stands.

And I am quite certain that this wont change with pickett.

Open up the competition to all QBs on the roster and find someone that can work with and truly develop quarterbacks.

This program goes nowhere until the above is considered.

Yeah, I distinctly, painfully, remember the Tino years, and part of why I have hope for Pickett is that he does NOT seem like Tino to me.

Heck, he already has done things that Tino did not do his entire career, like actually win games late, scramble to make throws, is a MUCH more effective runner ...

We will see ...

Again you totally ignore the fact that there is significant error in rating system. The VT has historically out recruited Pitt but in most years, Pitt has not been outclassed by VT. That suggests to me that there is not a huge difference in actual talent, like there is between Pitt and clemson. As I said, the difference between a class thats rated 25th overall and one that is rated in the high 30s is likely to be insignificant.

If you can't see the difference in the numbers, I can't really make you believe it. There is not "significant error" in the rating system. If you were staring at the 247 composite year after year, you'd realize that. The comparison with VT is still very early in it's evaluation between Narduzzi and Fuente but in three years, Fuente is already ahead of Narduzzi in record and recruiting. That "insignificant" difference has been worth a conference win per year, so far.

Winning the coastal was a nice first step, something that Pitt hasnt done since its been in the ACC. Why crap all over that accomplishment? It is something to build on.

Nobody "crapped all over" winning the Coastal but let's not oversell what happened this season. Pitt was 7-5 during the regular season, blown out twice (once by a G5 school), and lost to a team whose only other win was against a terrible Southern Conference team. Yes, it was an extremely difficult schedule but Pitt won most of the games it should win and also lost a couple it shouldn't have. Pretty much "situation normal" over the last thirty odd years.

Reactions: PittFan Dave 2019

You never know how these things ultimately will play out: hopely he stays committed, stays injury-free, looks just as promising when he a gets to Pitt, is actually given a chance to play, finds himself surrounded by enough talented players on the field to allow him to have a chance to succeed, has good enough plays called to give him s chance to thrive, and that he plays well on game day.
Well a good OC would certainly help in all you are saying.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
ADVERTISEMENT