ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Preseason Predictions/Expectations

Sep 22, 2022
For the first time in awhile, I actually feel excited and hopeful for when the season tips off on Monday. For the first time since Jeff has gotten here, he has a team full of guys that have gone through the every day grind of a college basketball season. For instance, Nelly Cummings, Greg Elliot and Nike Sibande are entering their 6th year playing CBB. Factor in big Hugs down low and Hinson who seems promising along with the other fresh faces.

When I look at the roster construction in what Capel did this offseason, it really reminded me of last years WF team. Steve Forbes in the offseason leading up to last year brought in five Transfers with three of them being Graduate guys. Watching them play last year you could see that experience and leadership that those guys brought to the team. Looking back at the game we played last season, they always made the right pass. When you watched them run their offense, they continuously made the right reads. Now a lot of that can easily be credited to Steve Forbes.

However as a player, it is a whole hell of a lot easier to buy in when this is your last stop. For many on this team, this is their last year playing college basketball and more importantly for some, this is their last chance to make it work. The same could be said for the Capels, Brown, and Timmy to make this work and gel. This year is the first time that I have confidence in them to make it work.

My prediction is that this team goes 19-12 (10-10) in conference and it comes down to the ACC tournament, just like Wake Forest last year, if they are going dancing in the tournament or in the NIT.

Love your optimism but it doesn't seem all that realistic at the moment--

Without a healthy Hugley there isn't any remotely realistic hope for your prediction. Right now he is out (per Coach Capel) for Monday vs Tennessee-Martin. It is unknown whether he will be ready for West Virginia and then for the Legends Classic (Michigan and then either Arizona State or VCU). He was on the bench wearing a brace during the Edinboro exhibition.

Also, even if he is back by the West Virginia game he may very well be less than 100% healthy. Starting out 1-3 OOC is entirely possible, or may even be likely as of this moment, without a healthy Hugley.

Last edited:
For the first time in awhile, I actually feel excited and hopeful for when the season tips off on Monday. For the first time since Jeff has gotten here, he has a team full of guys that have gone through the every day grind of a college basketball season. For instance, Nelly Cummings, Greg Elliot and Nike Sibande are entering their 6th year playing CBB. Factor in big Hugs down low and Hinson who seems promising along with the other fresh faces.

When I look at the roster construction in what Capel did this offseason, it really reminded me of last years WF team. Steve Forbes in the offseason leading up to last year brought in five Transfers with three of them being Graduate guys. Watching them play last year you could see that experience and leadership that those guys brought to the team. Looking back at the game we played last season, they always made the right pass. When you watched them run their offense, they continuously made the right reads. Now a lot of that can easily be credited to Steve Forbes.

However as a player, it is a whole hell of a lot easier to buy in when this is your last stop. For many on this team, this is their last year playing college basketball and more importantly for some, this is their last chance to make it work. The same could be said for the Capels, Brown, and Timmy to make this work and gel. This year is the first time that I have confidence in them to make it work.

My prediction is that this team goes 19-12 (10-10) in conference and it comes down to the ACC tournament, just like Wake Forest last year, if they are going dancing in the tournament or in the NIT.
Hope you're right

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

My prediction game sucks, this team might screw around and finish in the top 3 in the regular season.

Nice call dude!! You should be posting a lot more. You obviously saw some things most on here didn't.

Reactions: GoldenPather5
I'm not afraid to admit, I was very pessimistic about this year!! As a PITT HOOP fan since Eastern 8 days, I am THRILLED!!😺😺😺

Reactions: nycpanther98
ADVERTISEMENT