ADVERTISEMENT

docpanther26

Junior
Aug 12, 2017
Just wondering how many open scholarships we still have for 2023 and who the priority targets still might be? Or would this be a hold on to them type situation for after the year, considering we will most likely lose some players and need to fill with experience. Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Cummings, Burton, Elliott, and Sibande are all in their last year of eligibility. So the number of open spots starts at 4, and goes up from there with transfers and other departures. Seems like a fair projection is that there will be about 7-8 open spots for the 2023-24 season.

As many have said, the portal has become too important, probably superseding the importance of recruiting hs kids. Probably hold on to those scholarships. I think Capel is learning!

Cummings, Burton, Elliott, and Sibande are all in their last year of eligibility. So the number of open spots starts at 4, and goes up from there with transfers and other departures. Seems like a fair projection is that there will be about 7-8 open spots for the 2023-24 season.
Of course, Marlon Barnes and Carlton Carrington have already taken up 2 of those (assuming they sign).

Available scholarships means nothing anymore. Every team is only going to return 5-6 players at most.

Of course, Marlon Barnes and Carlton Carrington have already taken up 2 of those (assuming they sign).
Yeah, I’m in favor of a general strategy of using high schools recruits to fill the spots vacated by guys running out of eligibility, and using the transfer portal to fill in the spots that are vacated by guys who either transfer or leave early for other reasons.

You can modify that strategy if you’ve got four guys out of eligibility but you only get three high school kids that you think you can win with, but generally speaking I think it’s a good path, and would put us at 3-4 high school recruits this cycle. Which would make sense with Barnes and Carrington on board, and it seeming like Ty-Laur Johnson, Jaylen Curry and Papa Kante being the biggest guys we’re still chasing for 2023.

Reactions: Drew1208
Yeah, I’m in favor of a general strategy of using high schools recruits to fill the spots vacated by guys running out of eligibility, and using the transfer portal to fill in the spots that are vacated by guys who either transfer or leave early for other reasons.

You can modify that strategy if you’ve got four guys out of eligibility but you only get three high school kids that you think you can win with, but generally speaking I think it’s a good path, and would put us at 3-4 high school recruits this cycle. Which would make sense with Barnes and Carrington on board, and it seeming like Ty-Laur Johnson, Jaylen Curry and Papa Kante being the biggest guys we’re still chasing for 2023.
The three you mentioned is what I have seen as well. I’m sure there are others considering the profile of these three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT